Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
20YearsandCounting

Aternative Thinking: Questioning One or More Belief Systems

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

As I hope you can tell from the thread title, this thread is for those who have a different, or 'alternative' viewpoint on the topic of religion or spirituality.  This thread is intended to give a space to those who are questioning one or more belief systems.  

If you are atheist, you might try this thread: 

https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/132098-alternative-thinking-atheism/

Please check these rules regularly. I may re-post them throughout the thread as needed.

RULES:

No pushing!!!! This thread is for members who question or reject religious belief. It is not a ‘chance’ for anyone to push their belief/nonbelief on anyone else, in any form.  Do not belittle or put down anyone's belief/nonbelief.  Disagree without insult.  

No chasing!!!! No retaliation against those you disagree with. No targeting specific members. If you want to pursue a discussion once the thread has moved on, find a new way to approach it. (‘Thread moved on’ is defined as four or more posts by other members on a completely new idea/topic)

No insulting!!!! Do not insult, demean, put down, threaten, troll, flame, or bait other members. Show respect when you choose to disagree. Convey your opinion about the idea, never the member.

All comments will be open for everyone to respond to. If you quote a post, make it clear you are doing so to reference material. There will be no targeted exchanges between members. If you want to have a one on one exchange, do so in a PM.

VIOLATIONS MAY RESULT IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:

>POSTS MAY BE HIDDEN

>ADMIN MAY MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF YOU

>WARNING POINTS MAY BE HANDED OUT

>YOU MAY BE PLACED IN THE MOD QUEUE

MEMBERS WHO CONSISTENTLY, FLAGRANTLY, AND/OR MALICIOUSLY FLOUT THESE RULES MAY BE TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY BANNED!!!!!!

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I'll start things off, but if you have something different to say, please feel free. 

What, if anything, caused you to begin questioning (your) belief system? 

Posted · Report post  

I do question my belief: am I really atheist (everything in this universe is result of chaotic random probability); or agnostic?

Can there really be some god(s)/deity or even force that pre-ordains every situation that happen to your life?

I still don't believe in the existence of benevolent god(s)/deities though

Posted · Report post  

Many religious fundamentalists believe that the earth and everything on it was created in six 24-hour days, just a few thousand years ago. Some atheists would have you believe that God does not exist, that the Bible is a book of myths, and that all life is the product of random, undirected events. Neither one of these belief systems made any sense to me. For example, science had proven that the universe and even the earth is billions of years old. This is clear undisputed fact. On the other end, science has never proven evolution. I have examined this subject in great detail, even though it's taught as fact in schools, it is still only a theory, with many holes inconsistencies. I questioned how so many very complex systems, in the universe and on earth, could function with such precision just from a random events. If it takes intelligence to build a car, house, clocks, computers, and so on, how much more would it take an intelligent designer to put together these complex intricate systems in the natural world. So what is the truth of the matter. If God exists, and if the Bible was really from him, it wouldn't contradict "proven" scientific facts. What religion taught didn't clear these questions up for me. I had to put the fundamental teachings of Christendom aside, and instead look  at the available proven scientific evidence and compare it with things written in the Bible that pertains to scientific matter, not religion. 

Posted · Report post  

On 2/25/2017 at 8:12 AM, Haon said:

Many religious fundamentalists believe that the earth and everything on it was created in six 24-hour days, just a few thousand years ago. Some atheists would have you believe that God does not exist, that the Bible is a book of myths, and that all life is the product of random, undirected events. Neither one of these belief systems made any sense to me. For example, science had proven that the universe and even the earth is billions of years old. This is clear undisputed fact. On the other end, science has never proven evolution. I have examined this subject in great detail, even though it's taught as fact in schools, it is still only a theory, with many holes inconsistencies. I questioned how so many very complex systems, in the universe and on earth, could function with such precision just from a random events. If it takes intelligence to build a car, house, clocks, computers, and so on, how much more would it take an intelligent designer to put together these complex intricate systems in the natural world. So what is the truth of the matter. If God exists, and if the Bible was really from him, it wouldn't contradict "proven" scientific facts. What religion taught didn't clear these questions up for me. I had to put the fundamental teachings of Christendom aside, and instead look  at the available proven scientific evidence and compare it with things written in the Bible that pertains to scientific matter, not religion. 

i don't want to be to confrontational but in science a theory is used the same way fact is used in regular language. They is piles of evidence fossils, the similarity between organ systems, selective breeding etc. It is a more concrete and better understood theory than gravity. I don't believe in any random events and im a atheist. It simply does not meet my expectations of evidence for me to accept as true I have read alot of religious literature and to me religions all resemble greek mythology which at its time was a important comping mechanism for the ancient Greeks but when I try to think of it being literally true it seems far fetched to me.

Posted · Report post  

On 2/27/2017 at 8:46 PM, scienceguy said:

i don't want to be to confrontational but in science a theory is used the same way fact is used in regular language. They is piles of evidence fossils, the similarity between organ systems, selective breeding etc. It is a more concrete and better understood theory than gravity. I don't believe in any random events and im a atheist. It simply does not meet my expectations of evidence for me to accept as true I have read alot of religious literature and to me religions all resemble greek mythology which at its time was a important comping mechanism for the ancient Greeks but when I try to think of it being literally true it seems far fetched to me.

No offense taken @scienceguy, I'm just sharing my view, I know you are as well. In my family growing up I had both atheists and  Christian fundamentalists. Neither side made any sense to me so I questioned both sides. The problem I have with the evidence for evolution is that it doesn't harmonize with the theory. For example evolution says that species over time would gradually change into other species. For many years and even now some scientists insist the fossil record proves that. The fossil record proves quite the opposite. Niles Eldredge, a staunch evolutionist, states that the fossil record shows, not that there is a gradual accumulation of change, but that for long periods of time, “little or no evolutionary change accumulates in most species.” To date, scientists worldwide have unearthed and cataloged some 200 million large fossils and billions of small fossils. Many researchers agree that this vast and detailed record shows that all the major groups of animals appeared suddenly and remained virtually unchanged, with many species disappearing as suddenly as they arrived. Also the teaching of macro evolution had failed to prove evolution even in a controlled environment. The data now gathered from some 100 years of mutation research in general and 70 years of mutation breeding in particular enable scientists to draw conclusions regarding the ability of mutations to produce new species. Wolf-Ekkehard Lönnig, a scientist from the Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research in Germany said “Mutations cannot transform an original species [of plant or animal] into an entirely new one. This conclusion agrees with all the experiences and results of mutation research of the 20th century taken together as well as with the laws of probability.” I'm not criticizing those that chose to believe evolution, but for me it just doesn't add up. The evidence when you really do in depth research and talk to people in these fields exposes too many discrepancies in the theory. It is interesting to me how the Genesis account matches what the fossil record and mutation research showed. That species came into existence in bursts according to their "kinds" and they reproduce according to there "kinds". Mutation research has shown clearly that there are programmed genetic restrictions that will only allow suddle changes in a species, but it still remains that species, it cannot change into a different one.

Posted · Report post  

There is a very interesting documentary on Netflix called "Is Genesis History" where about a dozen scientists look at Genesis from a scientific view. I recommend watching it.

Posted · Report post  

I'd day what began to make me question my religion was the fact that not only was it shoved down my throat but the fact that it made no sense i mean how can i believe in something that has not yet been proven. with all the rules and other story's in the bible i can, it honestly makes no sense. honestly to me religion disconnects us more then it connects us.