Sign in to follow this  
20YearsandCounting

Alternative Thinking: Atheism

The covid virus really brings out the true colors of religious pastors & clerics, with their claims of "virus is Magic Sky Wizard punishing humanity for not making homosexuality universally a capital crime" & "Magic Sky Wizard is punishing non-Muslims with the virus for consuming pork & alcohol".

The funny thing about atheism is that, people think they are free, but they are actually not free. There is nothing that atheists do and think that can be considered appealing to do. Every action has its own consequence in positive ways and in negative ways. At least with Christianity you are instructed on how to have a more positive mindset and taught fundamentals on life and how to approach situations. 

On 2/18/2017 at 4:57 PM, 20YearsandCounting said:

Do you feel atheism is an expression of who you are, or is it more like an inescapable conclusion, or maybe a combination of the two?  I have heard both from various people over the years. 

Atheism is the noun that most closely describes by belief in religion. Sometimes I will describe myself as Irreligious, because I just don't relate to it at all. Like irrelevant is to relevant, religious belief is just not relevant to me. 

But just because I'm not religious doesn't mean that I am not a good person. It is important to be a good person and to do good things for others. I don't need a religion to teach me that. At this point in history I don't think religion is even qualified to teach good, since so much of it seems to be the antithesis of good. 

I'm rather wary of the term spiritual, but there is something amazing about having a consciousness and being able to connect with other people on all sorts of levels. Life on Earth is amazing and special beyond my comprehension. I don't need a origin story to appreciate it. 

And finally, even though I don't believe in religion I have an interest in the history and literature of various religions. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and it can be absorbed without having to believe in a higher deity.