Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
20YearsandCounting

Alternative Thinking: Atheism

25 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

As I hope you can tell from the thread title, this thread is for those who have a different, or 'alternative' viewpoint on the topic of religion or spirituality.  This thread is intended to give a space to those who embrace atheism, in its many permutations. 

If you are agnostic, or if you are in the process of questioning one or more belief systems, you might try these threads: 

https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/132100-alternative-thinking-agnosticism/

https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/132101-aternative-thinking-questioning-one-or-more-belief-systems/

Please check these rules regularly. I may re-post them throughout the thread as needed.

RULES:

No pushing!!!! This thread is for members who question or reject religious belief. It is not a ‘chance’ for anyone to push their belief/nonbelief on anyone else, in any form.  Do not belittle or put down anyone's belief/nonbelief.  Disagree without insult.  

No chasing!!!! No retaliation against those you disagree with. No targeting specific members. If you want to pursue a discussion once the thread has moved on, find a new way to approach it. (‘Thread moved on’ is defined as four or more posts by other members on a completely new idea/topic)

No insulting!!!! Do not insult, demean, put down, threaten, troll, flame, or bait other members. Show respect when you choose to disagree. Convey your opinion about the idea, never the member.

All comments will be open for everyone to respond to. If you quote a post, make it clear you are doing so to reference material. There will be no targeted exchanges between members. If you want to have a one on one exchange, do so in a PM.

VIOLATIONS MAY RESULT IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:

>POSTS MAY BE HIDDEN

>ADMIN MAY MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF YOU

>WARNING POINTS MAY BE HANDED OUT

>YOU MAY BE PLACED IN THE MOD QUEUE

MEMBERS WHO CONSISTENTLY, FLAGRANTLY, AND/OR MALICIOUSLY FLOUT THESE RULES MAY BE TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY BANNED!!!!!!

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I'll start things off, but if you have something different to say, please feel free. 

Do you feel atheism is an expression of who you are, or is it more like an inescapable conclusion, or maybe a combination of the two?  I have heard both from various people over the years. 

Posted (edited) · Report post  

The latter, it's just an inescapable conclusion for me. Not believing in a higher power doesn't significantly affect my everyday life or behavior so I don't really view it as an expression of who I am. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner

Posted · Report post  

28 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

The latter, it's just an inescapable conclusion for me. Not believing in a higher power doesn't significantly affect my everyday life or behavior so I don't really view it as an expression of who I am. 

Ditto

Posted · Report post  

I believe agnosticism is just an inescapable conclusion for me, but it could be that my depression makes me less likely to have some crazy notion like "faith." Still, even if undepressed, I don't think I'd believe in any god - especially not a personal god who intervenes in our daily lives.

At the same time, I scientifically cannot disprove the existence of a god, and therefore, I'm agnostic and not atheist. 

With me its just a fact of life that there is nothing supernatural. religion does not hold any personal significance to me it seems silly to me i don't give it importance I think its a waste of time to acknowledged religion I don't get into fights with people in life I just tell them there right so they leave me alone. Im not mad, I don't think gods are cruel, Im not mad at any kind of morality they oppose i just think the whole thing is a silly waste of time, I think deep down most people don't believe in there religion but pretend like they do to fit in with everyone else. i find the whole thing crazy if I saw grown men arguing whether Dobby the house elf was real or not and one said you can't disprove him so he might be real I would just think they wanted attention or they are pretending to be stupid. when people pray I think its silly and have to stop myself from laughing not because I am trying to be malicious but I think it is so funny people believe those sorts of things that it has to be a joke.  I guess I would be called a strong atheist if I was open about most my views.

Edited by scienceguy

Posted · Report post  

I was an agnostic for many many years.... in 2016 I officially became.. well...

If you don't believe in unicorns, you're not called a "atheist" or "non believer"....  So technically i am atheist.  But i like to think of myself as a scientist.  Do you guys ever get frustrated by the labels?  Or the connotations that accompany the labels?

I do

-Kitty

Posted · Report post  

On 18/02/2017 at 4:01 AM, 20YearsandCounting said:
Advertisement

RULES:

This thread is for members who question or reject religious belief. It is not a ‘chance’ for anyone to push their belief/nonbelief on anyone else, in any form.  Do not belittle or put down anyone's belief/nonbelief.

But what about atheists who question or reject religious belief because they find religious beliefs illogical? If one posts about that here, will it be interpreted as "pushing" or belittling?

20Y&C, as you've said before, those who choose to reject religion or spirituality are frequently attacked when expressing their opinions or experiences. But what about DF's own mod/admin team? Will expressing atheist opinions or experiences be censored as 'insulting/demeaning/trolling/flaming'?

Posted · Report post  

23 minutes ago, Misanthrop said:

But what about atheists who question or reject religious belief because they find religious beliefs illogical? If one posts about that here, will it be interpreted as "pushing" or belittling?

20Y&C, as you've said before, those who choose to reject religion or spirituality are frequently attacked when expressing their opinions or experiences. But what about DF's own mod/admin team? Will expressing atheist opinions or experiences be censored as 'insulting/demeaning/trolling/flaming'?

It does not matter why you choose to reject spiritual and/or religious beliefs, @Misanthrop.  When you focus on describing your beliefs, and do not make comments about those who may disagree, you avoid belittling others. 'But what about atheists who question or reject religious belief because they find religious beliefs illogical?'  In this statement, you have succinctly stated your belief and avoided insulting those who may disagree.

I have had at least two threads derailed by members insulting each other; I am trying to avoid that happening, while still giving everyone a chance to be heard on what can often be a complicated and controversial topic.  If you feel someone has insulted you or your beliefs, or the beliefs of another member, please PM me or another Admin about it. 

In a larger sense, what I do or do not believe is irrelevant to what I do here on DF as an Admin.  I'm sure that is true for every Mod that volunteers on DF, to one degree or another.  Most of my focus as an Admin is  more about: making sure the TOS is followed, making sure the individual forum rules are followed, making sure that members feel like they can express themselves here without being ridiculed, and making sure that Mods are able to do these things as well. 

If you, or any other member, ever feel like a Mod or Admin (like myself) is allowing their personal beliefs to affect their decisions, please don't hesitate to PM me, or site owner   @Lindsay and @Forum Admin and @LGJ, or Webmaster @Lioninwinter.  

Posted · Report post  

The ****ing TOS. Oh why does no-one read the ****ing TOS? I think I've read them, something about not confusing badgers with card tricks or something.

Posted · Report post  

On 3/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, KittyQueen said:

I was an agnostic for many many years.... in 2016 I officially became.. well...

If you don't believe in unicorns, you're not called a "atheist" or "non believer"....  So technically i am atheist.  But i like to think of myself as a scientist.  Do you guys ever get frustrated by the labels?  Or the connotations that accompany the labels?

I do

-Kitty

I just tell people im a scienceguy now if they bring up religion which is ironic given my name. I do get frustrated with labels as I feel when society uses the word atheism they given legitimacy that being religious is the correct way to be since you need a word to describe what the default position should be.

Posted · Report post  

Nope I can't believe there is a god.  When I look at the world I can't do it.  So many people in this world are completely morally bankrupt at this point.  If there was a god surely he would stepped in by now.

Posted · Report post  

On 5/22/2017 at 7:49 PM, sober4life said:

Nope I can't believe there is a god.  When I look at the world I can't do it.  So many people in this world are completely morally bankrupt at this point.  If there was a god surely he would stepped in by now.

god could always just be a d**k I remember reading in philosophy that there was a religious theory that only the devil existed and the bible was inspired by the devil to mess with people and he just sends everyone to hell but the religious believers get the worst of it for being guilible. That makes more sense to me than the depiction of god being this hippy who wants world peace. I always viewed him as like a kid that burns ants with a magnifying glass out of sadism. 

Posted · Report post  

I'm a near complete atheist, the only ways in my mind a god could exist, are:

A: He doesn't care for the world and we're only here to entertain him/them.

B: He doesn't intervene in this world, maybe we are a scientific study of an advanced race in another universe.

C: He has given up hope for our world.

But anyway, the only thing I believe in is the balance between the will to do good and the selfishness of mankind.

Posted · Report post  

I was raised in a mainstream protestant family. We attended church fairly regularly and I was confirmed when I was in 8th grade. Even by then, I had a lot of questions, mostly stemming from the vast amount of cruelty and suffering the people and animals on this planet endure. Like @scienceguy, I began to believe that God was some sort of sadistic SOB that enjoyed watching us from the bleachers as we inflicted pain, disease, and death upon each other.

I became a full-fledged atheist at some point, but after reading a lot of C.S. Lewis's serious works, I have "softened" into an agnostic position. We are definitely living on a a "fallen world", but that could happen with or without God.

Posted · Report post  

On 6/27/2017 at 9:22 AM, wheelman82 said:

I'm a near complete atheist, the only ways in my mind a god could exist, are:

A: He doesn't care for the world and we're only here to entertain him/them.

B: He doesn't intervene in this world, maybe we are a scientific study of an advanced race in another universe.

C: He has given up hope for our world.

But anyway, the only thing I believe in is the balance between the will to do good and the selfishness of mankind.

It's most likely A.  If it was B it would lead to C because if we are a science experiment the experiment has become a disaster.  I know I would have given up hope a long time ago.  If there is a god people make the mistake of thinking that god must be good.  Why?  He could be like any other ruler through history.  He could be a good guy or he could be an evil dictator.  The good guy would have felt guilt and he would have stepped in to help tons of times so we're left with the other choice or there is no god.

Posted · Report post  

On 6/29/2017 at 8:51 PM, sober4life said:

It's most likely A.  If it was B it would lead to C because if we are a science experiment the experiment has become a disaster.  I know I would have given up hope a long time ago.  If there is a god people make the mistake of thinking that god must be good.  Why?  He could be like any other ruler through history.  He could be a good guy or he could be an evil dictator.  The good guy would have felt guilt and he would have stepped in to help tons of times so we're left with the other choice or there is no god.

That is the choice that makes sense to me when i was younger I would always think about how people in other countries would have a completely opposite belief system from Christianity, like Hinduism in India and I said to myself human beings will believe what ever there taught as children like Santa claus or else why would to groups of human beings believe in completely opposite things why would there be so many conflicting religions if there is suppose to be only one truth than when I was little it dawned on me that its all made and I haven't believed in anything supernatural since I was about 10 years old.

Posted · Report post  

In the state I live in many people blindly accept Christianity from birth until death it's just a way of life for a lot of people.  My entire life I never believed in any of it.  I thought it was nonsense for the most part.  I feel like my brother.  He said I really don't care if there is a god I wouldn't worship him anyway.  He allows babies and children to be hurt so why would I worship him?  It is an interesting subject though.  You are a man of science so how would you explain this entire universe just coming out of nothing if it wasn't created?  I agree there had to be a first thing.  If you go back far enough in history somehow it had to just begin from nothing because there has to be a beginning somewhere.  

Posted · Report post  

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

In the state I live in many people blindly accept Christianity from birth until death it's just a way of life for a lot of people.  My entire life I never believed in any of it.  I thought it was nonsense for the most part.  I feel like my brother.  He said I really don't care if there is a god I wouldn't worship him anyway.  He allows babies and children to be hurt so why would I worship him?  It is an interesting subject though.  You are a man of science so how would you explain this entire universe just coming out of nothing if it wasn't created?  I agree there had to be a first thing.  If you go back far enough in history somehow it had to just begin from nothing because there has to be a beginning somewhere.  

I don't think there was ever a beginning because than god or a higher intelligence would have to come from some where if we grant god could exist and comes from no where why would it make sense that the universe could always exist instead. I think it is unknowable because if the universe and reality is infinite there is no way to prove it because we would just keep finding new information so it wouldn't be provable that the universe is infinite or had a first cause so it is a unanswerable question, I just don't see evidence it would be a man in the sky that somehow only communicates with certain people that came from nothing. 

I don't think anything is infinite.  Everything has to start at some point.  I suppose the universe could be made like the earth.  If you keep going in one direction you will probably eventually end up where you started.  Time could be infinite on a loop I guess in the same way but the loop of time would have had to start at some point as well.  That's the big question How is it possible to never have a beginning but at the same time there had to be a beginning out of nothing to start which would mean anything and everything can come out of nowhere from nothing.  There doesn't have to be anything to create anything I guess.

Edited by sober4life

Posted · Report post  

Hi. Couple of scientists that communicate well to a lay audience:Lawrence Krauss (including his book "A Universe from Nothing") and Neil deGrasse Tyson. 

(I'm not a cosmologist/astrophysicist) Our intuitions can fall apart under further scrutiny. I agree sober4life that it seems like there *has* to be a beginning, but that may be because that's what our direct experience has always been.  

Posted · Report post  

Im getting so sick of being told to pray for a job by my parents, I told them im not wasting my time on that rubbish, im the only one they tell to my sister is an atheist and they never bother her. My grandmother said they same thing though she is not as pushy she randomly told me its the end of the world and I have to pray so I don't go to hell I told her im going to hangup the phone if she keeps telling me to pray I said I don't tell her to pray to hindu gods or zeus to save her soul from there concepts of hell. Religious people get on my nerves so much especially when they just pretend to be religious and know nothing about the bible my parents don't even know the 10 commandments and are telling me to be religious, I took a college theology class and have read the bible for hours every morning and wrote a ten page exogesus I a quote I picked from the book of matthew and went to ccd till I was 10. Thank god(lol) I don't live in the south my family in Floridian are crazy religious.

If praying to the Magic Sky-Man can solve world's problems, why do we still need doctors & police officers?

If the Magic Sky-Man could prevent earthquakes, hurricanes, & tsunamis in the first place, regions like Caribbean/Florida/Taiwan/Japan wouldn't need aid or relief workers!

Did people in those regions suffered earthquakes, hurricanes, & typhoons because they didn't pray to the Magic Sky-Man regularly enough?

Edited by Misanthrop