Sign in to follow this  
MtnDreams

Anyone have a seizure on Wellbutrin?

I have read a lot about seizures and Wellbutrin.  I have been very interested in Wellbutrin because it seems like there are a lot of people with positive results.  I had a seizure about 20 years ago.  It was the only episode like that that I've ever had.  But that one incident makes me pause when I hear the Wellbutrin warnings about seizures.  Has anybody else experienced seizures while on Wellbutrin?  Or has anyone who has had seizures been taking Wellbutrin without the drug causing them any seizures?

On 2/16/2017 at 9:51 PM, MtnDreams said:
Advertisement

I have read a lot about seizures and Wellbutrin.  I have been very interested in Wellbutrin because it seems like there are a lot of people with positive results.  I had a seizure about 20 years ago.  It was the only episode like that that I've ever had.  But that one incident makes me pause when I hear the Wellbutrin warnings about seizures.  Has anybody else experienced seizures while on Wellbutrin?  Or has anyone who has had seizures been taking Wellbutrin without the drug causing them any seizures?

MtnDreams - please talk with your neurologist about this concern. Everyone has different level of seizure threshold ( level of risk of seizure) It has been my experience in speaking with my Epileptologist that when a person has a history of one or more seizures and they take Wellbutrin they are at high risk of seizures recurring and wiring the brain from medication induced epilepsy                                                                                             ( more than one seizure triggered by the wellbutrin requiring                                                                                     medication or therapy for control) 

I have experienced a seizure from Wellbutrin. On the other hand, I don't otherwise have a history of experiencing seizures, so I don't know how Wellbutrin would impact someone that does. Still, I was taken off the medication after reporting the incident to my psychiatrist. A different psychiatrist commented that my seizure threshold is the lowest he has ever seen. This bit of information could either be from Wellbutrin lowering my threshold permanently, or more likely, my threshold has always been really low.

However, I have also heard positive things about Wellbutrin and what I experienced may not necessarily happen to you. Try talking to a professional about this. It will help to have a professional opinion.