Sign in to follow this  
Uud4tea

How long have you guys had ahendonia?

I've had it as long as I have been depressed, which is since I was 12 or so, and I'm about to turn 41, so 29 years? Ugh. Sometimes it is less noticeable and sometimes more, but it usually gets better or worse as my depression does. I don't really remember what feeling normal is. I kind of remember being a kid and feeling like there was a lot to look forward to and getting excited about stuff, but I don't have the emotions of those memories, if that makes sense. It's more a rational look back, like I am looking at someone else's life. There have only been rare times that I have felt excited or looked forward to anything since I was a teenager, and the older I get, the worse it generally seems to get (i.e., fewer of those excited moments, and of less intensity) :/

In terms of helping physical symptoms, can you be more specific? Are you talking about actual physical issues caused by lack of activity / poor diet, poor sleep, etc. or more psychosomatic symptoms (like, when you feel heartache because you're miserable)? The latter can be a sign of stress. You may want to see a doctor to make sure you don't have other medical issues that you need treatment for (other than depression). I find it helps me to be physically active and/or to do yoga, meditate, etc. but it's hard to push myself to do it when I am depressed and have anhedonia, because I also have this sense of dread that seems to prevent me from getting up and going. 

Edited by myra_viveash

On 2/16/2017 at 8:51 PM, Uud4tea said:
Advertisement

I have only had it for like 3 years. And I already feel the negative effects on my heart. You guys know anyway to help the physical syptoms of this illness?

Anhedonia is the inability to feel pleasure. I don't think there are any physical symptoms. Did you mean something else?

On 15.03.2017 at 0:18 AM, myra_viveash said:

I've had it as long as I have been depressed, which is since I was 12 or so, and I'm about to turn 41, so 29 years? Ugh. Sometimes it is less noticeable and sometimes more, but it usually gets better or worse as my depression does. I don't really remember what feeling normal is. I kind of remember being a kid and feeling like there was a lot to look forward to and getting excited about stuff, but I don't have the emotions of those memories, if that makes sense. It's more a rational look back, like I am looking at someone else's life. There have only been rare times that I have felt excited or looked forward to anything since I was a teenager, and the older I get, the worse it generally seems to get (i.e., fewer of those excited moments, and of less intensity) :/

In terms of helping physical symptoms, can you be more specific? Are you talking about actual physical issues caused by lack of activity / poor diet, poor sleep, etc. or more psychosomatic symptoms (like, when you feel heartache because you're miserable)? The latter can be a sign of stress. You may want to see a doctor to make sure you don't have other medical issues that you need treatment for (other than depression). I find it helps me to be physically active and/or to do yoga, meditate, etc. but it's hard to push myself to do it when I am depressed and have anhedonia, because I also have this sense of dread that seems to prevent me from getting up and going. 

Upwards question

I've had anhedonia on and off for 6/7 years now but full on anhedonia for say 2+ years now. Anhedonia was what kicked off my depression too and I was the same you know wondering what on earth is going on sort of thing. Now my anhedonia is pretty permanent it seems. I hope there's a solution but nothing is forthcoming in the UK it seems which really is depressing!! Still when I feel less down I keep the fight going but I do worry my life is disappearing right before my eyes.

I was diagnosed with moderate social anxiety, but developed full blown depression ever since coming off the f***ing antidepressants which was beginning 2016. I'm 26 yrs now. I just realized that I was actually feeling a bit high on Paxil. During withdrawal, I had anhedonia that's related to mood. Mood down in the dumps= no interest in anything. However, now that I'm back on an AD, my mood is good but strangely, I still feel 100% anhedonia and also depersonalization/derealization.

Without meds= worse in some aspects. With meds= worse in some other aspects. Don't know what to do anymore. breaks my heart most people on here seem to have had anhedonia since what 12 yrs old. What you enjoy in childhood is completely different to what you enjoy in adulthood. I just long for teenage years. 

My pdoc insists A LOT on me trying TMS. He keeps mentioning it every time I see him, saying that it's for people who are treatment resistant. I don't want to pay shi*t load of money only to find out it doesn't work. Actually, I don't think it will as the only one thing meds don't solve for me is anhedonia. 

I no longer suffer form major clinical depression. But that's largely due to taking my medication religiously in 2016. From about October 2016 onwards I realized I no longer had major clinical depression. But that was replaced by anhedonia. I alos have difficulty being able to relax. My mind feels like it's numb. I can't get back and feel pleasure from my old hobbies and I have difficulty relaxing partially because of that.

I've officially had it for probably a few months now, but I'm not sure what happened to cause it. When I realized I was experiencing anhedonia, I wanted to break things, because I've felt emotionally blunted since late February and this is how I first learned about anhedonia. However, now it seems my emotions are not just blunted as I no longer enjoy anything anymore. It was a gradual process that likely began with frequent periods of boredom. As periods of enjoyment became less frequent, I found myself hoping that maybe this would go away after a while. It has not gone away and I'm terrified it's going to drain me of whatever youth I still have left.

All I really want is a good life. I have a loving family, a loving partner, and a good community of friends. I don't want to waste it all just because of anhedonia. I really want to find a way to get relief. Sadly, my search results on Google don't give me much hope that there's anything that can be done, not unless it just goes away on its own.

I'd say 18 years off and on. It's got to the point now where it's become normal and I can't really tell the difference between anhedonia and feeling well. 

I don't even know if this is what I have but it sounds very relatable. I remember being asked by a friend in 2008 what I was passionate about and I just didn't have an answer.