Lamotrigine (Lamictal)

Guest Dispatch

Guest Dispatch

I'm taking Lamictal and it is working great.  The only side effect I have are horrible headaches.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, what helps?  I have already reduced my dose to where it was when it "kicked in". Now what? :Oo:

Edited by Natasha1

I experienced headaches while taking Lamictal.  I had just started it and was at 50mg.  Unfortunately, I had to discontinue.  I thought it was odd because I had previously reached 400 mg of Lamictal.  Maybe it had nothing to do with Lamictal, but I hope others will post about any headaches they had on Lamictal.  You don't hear a lot about it as a SE, but maybe the rash gets all the attention.

Katie :hearts:

I am assuming that you notified your doctor of this rash when you talked about your migraine.  The doctor should take a look at it and prescribe a topical medication if it does not go away after you discontinue.  Of course plenty of rashes don't lead to the fatal Stevens-Johnson syndrome, but please try to pay attention to your rash in the midst of your migraine pain.  Feel better.

Katie:;):

Guest I am Cat
I don't remember any headaches when i was taking Lamictal... but I have headaches a lot, you know... or used to... hmmm, could they have been tied in?  weird... I was up to a pretty large dose... 500 mg, before I stopped taking it, but I don't remember thinking that a headache was tied in... just my two cents worth (that and a cup of coffee... :D )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

what is lamictal used for mainly?  I thought it was a mood stabilizer- I am currently on neurontin and I dont really know what, if anything, it is doing except it helps me sleep.  I dont particularly want to take it just for that reason though.

I asked my pdoc about switching from neurtontin to lamactil and said the lamictal has more side effects but is always willing to let me having my way!  I have depression with anxiety and recently went through 5 mos of #@! while switching meds (bec one gave out).  I heard lamictal was especially good for maintenance for depression.

Any input would be appreciated.

bebo

Technically, Lamictal is a mood stabilizer that has been approved by the FDA for bipolar disorder.  However, all of these meds are used for purposes that are considered off label.  Since you are already trying another antiepileptic, Neurontin, and it doesn't do much for you maybe you should consider Lamictal.  Lamictal unlike Nerontin has FDA approval for mood stabilization.  You would have to be ready to invest a lot of time to finish your 5 week starter pack and your tittration after that.  I seem to recall that you have tried many antideressants and maybe it is time for a new strategy.  I thought I would mention that Lamictal was not hepful for my anxiety.  So of course it is not an antidepressant but its effects in that area might be a good augmentation to the rest of your AD's.

Katie  :sleepy:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, maybe it is me, but can this med affect your mood in a negative way.  I mean I feel more down and Ihave an empty feeling that I also had on antidepressants.  I been off the meds for over a month now and was doing okay.    Well doing better than when I was on antidepressants.  But I still had irritablitly and I still had some down days.  But this is only my 4th day on the med and I already feel like crap.  I am really down and out. I am hoping it is just a start up side effect.  Any info.  Thanks. :hearts:

I was on Lamictal.   I started with the starter pack and then went on to 200mg and then 400mg.  I had had a couple of bad headaches, but nothing to right home about.  I was okay on it for about 3 months and then I started to get really bad anxiety.  My Psychiatrist told me to up to 500mg and the 600mg.  Myyyyyyyyy gossssssssssssssss, this nearly floored me.  I was sat on the sofa on about day 4 of 600mg and I felt really nauseas.  When I got off the sofa, I rushed to the toilette and boffed my brains out. I did this 3 times in less than 25 mins.  Then BANG  this headache.  I was literally on the floor, rolling around and crying my eyes out.  I tried to sleep but it was just too painfull.  I doubled up Tylenol and Advil and then eventually managed to rock myself to sleep after a few hours.

When I woke up the next morning I was in the same mess as I was when I went to bed.  I took some more Advil and a couple of sleeping tablets and then went back to bed.  My husband was begging me to go to the hospital but I waited till Monday for my doctor

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sesshoumaru-  Just had to reply when I read your doc prescribed Tramadol (Ultram) and you were on cloud nine- I can relate and have been having problems getting off this med b/c of the great feeling i get when i take it.  I wish my doc would have never given it to me- b/c now I want to feel that 'rush' all the time.  :(

~Kalley

Once you've had a "reaction" to this med, will they ever consider letting you try it again?  I'm really upset.  i love this medication and felt finally like my self somewhat...then the mouth sores & throat issues.  BAH :angry:   I'mon abilify now and just not gettin me there.  I miss my Lamictal.

I'm wondering if once a reacton...always a reaction?  or could I go even slower on dosing,...and maybe get there...

-Imbirdlady

I haven't been on here for a while, I guess a long while, but I was just given a starter kit for Lamicatal, the slower of the 2, although I'm not taking depakote etc. he just wanted to start out slower than normal.

I now take:

Trileptal

Wellbutrin XL

Neurontin

I'm on a bunch of other stuff too, but not for Depression etc.

I asked him about side effects and he never mentioned Headaches. I get terrible "Migraines" now, mine aren't Migraines, they were diagnosed as "Cluster Headaches", but they're just as bad.

So now what?

Major Tom

Please give it a try.  I was feeling pretty horrible and ready to give up myself and then the doc prescribed Lamictal.  Going so slowly - only at 100 mgs after about 6 weeks.  But - it IS working.  I can't remember NOT feeling like the weight of the world was on my shoulders - but it is not now!  Never give up.  I did get headaches and still do as I titrate up.  For a couple days after I take the medication but they go away.  For me they are not debilitationg.  Depression is WAY more debilitating.  and the headaches have subsided so far after I get used to the dose.  I was ready to give up.  I have tried so many new meds this year. (WOW - it has been 10 months of trying)  Hang on - you never know what will do it.  It can get better.

Thank God I hung in there.

Good luck!

bDaisy

I have been on Lamictal almost a year (300mg/day). It didn't cause any headaches & I suffer from cluster ones that take me away to another planet. Actually, this AD has helped me a lot more than anything I have taken in the last 2 years. My pdoc uses it as a stabilizer. I take neurontin (1800mgs/day) for Parkinson's but my pdoc considers it a stabilizer, too.

I have zyprexa which wards off the mania. This is the best combo I have ever had in controlling BP. I am drug resistant and sensitive so don't know how long this combo will last. The rash is the biggest and worse reaction to watch for, so I am constantly aware of anything out of the ordinary (I am allergic to my persperation and get fungal rashes from it).

Good luck on Lamictal. I hope it works for everyone here. I think the headaches may be from someother thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

• 2 weeks later...

Lamictal!! What a nightmare I experienced on that one. I realize some drugs for some and not others....but whew it brought me down to a numb, crazed. over anxious nut ball. I would never take it again without another ad in my system. My doc discontinued Effexor and straight up left me on that. After the Effexor left my system I swear I was reduced to anger and hostililty all the time. These stabilizers are all different....I just don't trust the down side effect anymore. The headaches weren't the problem...I wish that's all it was for me. Marie

I was wondering if anyone has just been on Lamictal as their mood stablizer?  I am currently taking Depakote and Lamictal but am getting off the Depakote due to side effects.  I believe Depakote has worked well for my mixed mania but not my depression, thus the Lamictal.  If you have used Lamictal as your only mood stablizer I would be interested to hear how you did on it.

Hey Trinity-

I take Lamictal and all in all it's been okay.  I like that it doesn't make me gain weight and doesn't make me feel "drugged".  It hasn't "cured" me, but I think maybe I had unrealistic expectations.  I take Wellbutrin with the Lamictal and several other things, but Lamictal is the only "Mood Stabilizer" I'm on.

Good luck-

j2m

Guest Dispatch

I use Lamictal.  It works great for me on the "low end".  I need something for the "high end" though too.  

I have read that Lamictal can be the perfect one drug therapy for BP II.  If it works for you.

Trinity,

I am on 3 mood stabilizers. Lamictal was added 4 or 5 months ago to control the depression. It appears to be working as the slumps are not as low. It has had the least side effects but I was told to watch for "the rash"-I would be taken off immediately if it appeared. Because of the other 2 stabilizers, I sometimes wake up with that drugged feeling. My only complaint is the "flat" effect with no highs and lows.

I hope Lamictal works well for you.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

Everyone, thank you for your replies.  I hope it is the only mood stablizer that I have to have.  I also take Welbutrin XL, Seroquel (for sleep), and Klonopin as needed.  Hopefully this combination will work without to many side effects.

I am BPII and I have taken Lamictal for nearly a year. It has been my primary mood stabilizer and worked well as a stabilizing agent. Before I started taking it I was in a psychotic depression and was overcome by obsessive thinking, rage, and paranoia. The Lamictal definitely helped with all three of those.

I just started Wellbutrin with Lamictal so I don't know the effects yet. I also take Klonopin or Restoril when I can't sleep, which is often.

Thanks for your response JayDee.  I have problems with mixed mania, hypomania, and get psychotic at times.  I was taking Depakote as my mood stablizer as well as Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, and Seroquel. My pdoc  was going to add Lamictal to the combination for depression and still keep me on the Depakote.  I decided I wanted to come of the Depakote due to unwanted side effects (hair loss and weight gain).  I'm just hoping the Lamictal will be able to keep everything under control.