Sign in to follow this  
BrotherZoot

Advice on coming off Remeron

Good to hear that you're doing fine!

I am still on 1.x mg and have been for a week when I take the dose tonight. I'm debating whether or not to jump off now or give it another week on 1.x, what do you think? I'm leaning towards giving it another week, feeling some slight nausea from time to time and general anxiety is up a few notches.

Oh, and I have also noted some increased sensitivity to caffeine like I read you had. Bummer, I love the bean!

If you're not desperate to be completely off, I would wait another week. I spent about a month at each dose as I titrated down, but I only titrated down three times and then completely went off at 3.75 mg (because I did really want to just be done with it). Not sure what you're experience has been like, but even at 3.75 mg, I still had a ravenous appetite. I did get more energy with each drop in dose.

Just a quick update: In the days since last posting, I've been doing really well. I have been exercising and productive at work, which both also help my mood (in addition to being facilitated by not having such issues with my mood, etc.). Many of the symptoms that I worried were my symptoms returning (including headache, stomach pains, other aches and pains, heightened anxiety) have really settled down. Have still had some pretty messed up dreams, but that's about it.

Mirtazapine was very useful for me back when I was on it. I took it in combo with Venlafaxine. When I was sectioned and detained in hospital I was still on Mirtazapine but had Aripiprazole not Venlafaxine. Now I'm settled with Sertraline and my anti psychotic combo. It's working very well.

Well, I'm 7 weeks off Mirtazapine now and have been feeling very crummy the last few days--not sure at this point whether it might still be withdrawal or whether I'm relapsing. Heightened anxiety and depressive feelings, loss of appetite, more restless sleep, difficulty concentrating, anhedonia. Strange given how well I was doing just last week. I did drink too much Sunday night (it was a long weekend) and have developed a habit of drinking more than I ought to on weekends. That puts me in a tailspin sometimes, but it doesn't normally last this long. I will stay off the Remeron for now and continue to monitor my progress and make a concerted effort to drink only in moderation. The feelings I've been having remind me that I have too much at stake to be cavalier about these symptoms and should not do anything that might aggravate them.

"Heightened anxiety and depressive feelings, loss of appetite, more restless sleep, difficulty concentrating, anhedonia. Strange given how well I was doing just last week. I did drink too much Sunday night (it was a long weekend) and have developed a habit of drinking more than I ought to on weekends. That puts me in a tailspin sometimes, but it doesn't normally last this long."

Try not drinking for a month.  If you drank a lot, the withdrawals from drinking can result in much of what you've described.  I am a recovering alcoholic and was on Remeron for 10 years.  I have been off Remeron for over 5 years.  I can still get depressed and anxious for numerous reasons, I just don't drink no matter what as oblivion is only temporary. 

Edited by sobergal

Thanks, sobergal. I don't think it's alcohol withdrawal, but possibly alcohol affecting my withdrawal from Remeron. I generally don't drink that much, really. Through the week I have at most one drink and most night don't have any. On Friday and Saturday night, I will have three or four and once in a while more than that. I did have a few drinks Saturday night this week, but nothing any other day this week.

Anyway, last week was pretty rough-going, in many ways. I felt considerably better on Saturday, and I also feel better today than I did last week. Whereas I had a lot of anxiety last week, this week it is more "depressive" feelings, lethargy, lack of motivation, as well as feeling sick to my stomach. The kinds of "symptoms" or experiences I have been having are all consistent with what I have often felt in the past--I am quite sure at this point that I'm dysthymic, in general. But whether what I'm experiencing now is relapse (of a major depressive episode), withdrawal, or just my usual dysthmia returning now that I'm off medication is entirely unclear to me.

Things are still up and down for me. I still have periods where I feel pretty rotten and have heightened anxiety, though things seem better than they did last week. I generally feel pretty good by the evening. I still feel sick to my stomach a lot, particularly after eating. And while I felt more energy after going off Remeron, I am tired most of the time these days and do not have much energy.

Well, my symptoms have been getting progressively worse over the past week. I had a real low point yesterday and last night my insomnia was terrible. I haven't been sleeping well and I have been feeling quite bad overall. I am seeing my GP today to try something new because this doesn't seem like withdrawal anymore but a relapse. It's very frustrating.

So I reinstated Remeron at 7.5 mg the last two nights and feel considerably better. That could mean it was withdrawal, given how fast Remeron seems to have turned it around. Or maybe I just really need Remeron. Anyway, think I'll stay here for a while and see how it goes over the next several weeks. Maybe the side effects I had issues with will be less of an issue at this lower does (I'd been at 15 mg for the last couple of years).

@BrotherZoot how are you doing now? I just came across your thread and have been trying to cross-taper off of Remeron and onto Paxil and I'm pretty sure the effects I'm feeling are from coming off Remeron because the nausea is ridiculous and the insomnia is creeping back in. 

@PurpleFox I'm doing fine, though I've stayed on 7.5 mg Remeron. Really, my challenges now have to do with side effects--the weight I'd lost while off Remeron is creeping back on. I do think my anxiety/depressive feelings and possibly insomnia were effects of withdrawing from Remeron that may have cleared up with time. But I wasn't in the right place to wait it out right then.

So, I have been off Remeron now for about a month, again. I'm doing alright. Certainly more negative feelings, headaches, and, I guess, anxiety. It's very bodily--feeling cold and sort of jittery. Of course, it is winter. This seems like what happened last time I tried to come off. Although this time I tapered more before discontinuing completely and the first few weeks were much easier. Now it's down to whether my symptoms are returning and whether I can handle them adequately without the Remeron.

Hey Brother!

I can relate with exactly what your going through. Those are all the exact same withdrawal symptoms I experienced as well. I lasted two months my last attempt until I finally threw in the towel. Ive been on 15mg for a couple years now.  Im sending you positive vibes. 

2 hours ago, BrotherZoot said:

So, I have been off Remeron now for about a month, again. I'm doing alright. Certainly more negative feelings, headaches, and, I guess, anxiety. It's very bodily--feeling cold and sort of jittery. Of course, it is winter. This seems like what happened last time I tried to come off. Although this time I tapered more before discontinuing completely and the first few weeks were much easier. Now it's down to whether my symptoms are returning and whether I can handle them adequately without the Remeron.

Thank you BrotherZoot for posting this, I'm considering trying Remeron but wanted to hear other people's opinions.  Thank you for posting your thoughts and experiences!!  :)

@HeatherG My experience with Remeron was overall very positive. I had difficult start-up experiences with Lexapro, but found it easy to start Remeron. I had been struggling a lot with insomnia, and it helped with that immediately, which also immediately helped my depression, and I felt much better overall within a couple of weeks. I never took more than 15 mg as my doc and I had viewed it as a sleep aid, but I think it did a lot more for my depression and anxiety, even at that dose. The main drawbacks were weight gain and drowsiness. I had maintained a weight of about 164 lbs for years but got as high as 180 lbs on Remeron. I was generally 175 lbs. So, not insane weight gain, but enough to be bothersome. I also felt like I was constantly depriving myself to maintain that weight because I was always so voraciously hungry. I also had a lot of difficulty staying awake during talks (which I attend regularly for work) and sometimes while driving on the highway (scary). Both side effects improved at lower doses but never went away. Oh, I also unexpectedly had sexual side effects--both in terms of libido and performance issues. In many ways, those are the most bothersome of the side effects for me, but research suggests that most people don't have these issues on Remeron; it's generally pretty good that way.

So, the side effects are bothersome but manageable. If I relapse, I would likely try something different to see if I could get some benefits without the side effects. But if I were struggling to find a medication that worked, I would go back on Remeron for sure.

6 minutes ago, BrotherZoot said:

@HeatherG My experience with Remeron was overall very positive. I had difficult start-up experiences with Lexapro, but found it easy to start Remeron. I had been struggling a lot with insomnia, and it helped with that immediately, which also immediately helped my depression, and I felt much better overall within a couple of weeks. I never took more than 15 mg as my doc and I had viewed it as a sleep aid, but I think it did a lot more for my depression and anxiety, even at that dose. The main drawbacks were weight gain and drowsiness. I had maintained a weight of about 164 lbs for years but got as high as 180 lbs on Remeron. I was generally 175 lbs. So, not insane weight gain, but enough to be bothersome. I also felt like I was constantly depriving myself to maintain that weight because I was always so voraciously hungry. I also had a lot of difficulty staying awake during talks (which I attend regularly for work) and sometimes while driving on the highway (scary). Both side effects improved at lower doses but never went away. Oh, I also unexpectedly had sexual side effects--both in terms of libido and performance issues. In many ways, those are the most bothersome of the side effects for me, but research suggests that most people don't have these issues on Remeron; it's generally pretty good that way.

So, the side effects are bothersome but manageable. If I relapse, I would likely try something different to see if I could get some benefits without the side effects. But if I were struggling to find a medication that worked, I would go back on Remeron for sure.

Wow thank you so much BrotherZoot!  This is such amazing first hand experience to hear!  I really, really appreciate your time. :)

So, I started using my light-therapy lamp regularly last week. Not sure if that's the reason or not, but I'm feeling pretty good right now and did also yesterday. The lamp gives me headaches when I start using it again, but those seem to have largely passed. I had been feeling kind of rotten, but feel better now. I've been getting regular exercise in as well, limiting alcohol and watching what I eat. I'm sure each of those things help. So, in terms of coming off the Remeron, I'm doing very well at the moment.

Damn, I'm feeling bad again.

Reading back through this thread, it seems like the same thing that happened last time I came off Remeron completely. I'm at about the 2 month mark, which is when I reinstated last time. The last few days have been a bit rough, feeling depressed, out of sorts, and overly emotional. Been having trouble sleeping and have lost my appetite (feel like throwing up after I eat). Headaches, anhedonia, anxiety. I just want to crawl back into bed and hide from the world.

It's very frustrating. I don't know whether I should try to ride it out or reinstate the Remeron again. Last time this happened, I felt better within 2 days of reinstating. Which also made me question whether it was simply withdrawal--I didn't expect it to get back to a therapeutic effect so quickly.

Just not sure what to do.

I thought when I started taking meds I'd be on them for a year or so and then be able to just get off them. That seems to be a common story with depression. But I guess I have persistent depression.

Hey Brother

Sorry you feel like crap. You are pretty much describing my last withdrawal attempt with mirt. Its weird because I actually feel pretty good for a month or so but I tend to go downhill from there. Whatever you end up doing I hope you start feeling better soon

Yes, both times I discontinued completely, I felt better in the first month than I had while on the med! Partly because some of the side effects let up (not that they're terrible side effects, but having them ease up feels better).

I'm still a bit up and down on 7.5 mg, but it's kept me from dipping too low. I'm pretty irritable, which I really need to work on. Not sure if it's the depression or the drug. Really, I have no business complaining about Remeron. It does it's job very well for me and causes only pretty minor side effects.

I've varied the time on each dose. At this point, I think i would stay at least 4 weeks on each, personally, just to have a reasonably clear sense of what I'm like at that does and to give myself a chance to develop coping skills to deal with the level of anxiety/depression I'm left with.

I hope you level out soon and don't have to deal with anxiety too long. I know what a miserable experience it is.

BrotherZoot,

Thank you for your informative post. I am a new user of Remeron. Took my first 15mg last night, and this is my first pysmed ever. So I'm scared about being addicted to it and how I'll get off of it in the future. Your posts have been really informative, thank you again for all your posts.