Sign in to follow this  
BrotherZoot

Advice on coming off Remeron

Day 20. Still doing well. I am having a bit of a hard time getting out of bed in the morning and I had some heightened anxiety/agitation this morning. Not sure either of those issues are related to withdrawal, though. I have noticed that I am less irritable now I'm off the Cipralex and Remeron (still more irritable than I'd like, but not as super-irritable as before). The sexual issues I was experiencing are completely gone now too. And my weight is starting to drop. I'm about 5 lbs down already.

Well, today (still Day 20) I've been feeling anxious all day and agitated. I feel like my heart is racing and have a slight headache. It's discouraging because at this point I thought I was clear and so it has me worrying again that it's my symptoms returning. I am trying not to make too much of it--sometimes it's one step forward, two steps back.

Day 21. Doing better so far today--not agitated or anxious like I was yesterday. Much calmer overall. I guess I'm still experiencing ups-and-downs, and possibly always will. May take some time to get used to me "natural" rhythms. Of course, could also be adjustment to coming off the meds.

Day 22. I feel great today and felt great through most of yesterday--better than I have in a while. One reason for that is that my sexual dysfunction has really cleared up. Part of the reason I sought treatment was because my relationship with my wife was severely strained. Many issues were helped when the medication alleviated my depression symptoms, but the sexual dysfunction maintained other issues. I expected Cipralex to cause some dysfunction, but thought Remeron would be okay. But it seems that it was also partly to blame. (Granted I am also on Wellbutrin right now, which often helps with sexual dysfunction as well.) Anyway, sorry if this is TMI, but along with the emotional aspects of our relationship, it's great to be getting back to a "normal" physical relationship as well.

Day 23. Well, I feel kind of crappy today, but I don't imagine it has anything to do with withdrawal. Was throwing up yesterday, likely because of something I ate. But thought I'd not it here anyway. Otherwise I feel okay, though I do also feel dehydrated.

Day 24. I feel good today. This will most likely be my last regular post here because it's been almost a month since discontinued Remeron completely. I haven't had any major adverse reactions. Tapering relatively slowly off (15 mg to 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg to 0 mg) seems to have made the withdrawal considerably more manageable. I still get occasional headaches and nausea, but I'm not sure it has to do with coming off Remeron. I also have louder tinnitus than before, which I am hoping clears us, but again, I'm not sure it has anything to do with Remeron (I had hoped coming off it would make the tinnitus clear up, but no such luck).

Anyway, Remeron helped me out a lot. I found it quite easy to start up (much easier than Cipralex). It seems like I don't need it anymore, and tapering off of it was manageable.

Well, I guess this is Day 27 and I am experiencing a big spike in anxiety. Have been feeling this way since I woke up this morning. Actually coming to post here makes me realize that I've been dealing with these spikes sporadically for a while now. This one seems worse though--that jittery feeling, with nausea and headache, difficulty concentrating, where I just want to crawl back into bed. I hope this passes.

I also feel as though I've been having more depressive symptoms the past few days. Dark thoughts and feelings, and mood swings. A bit more irritability, but not too much of that.

Edited by BrotherZoot

Day 28. I feel better than I did yesterday, but still have more physical anxiety than I had while on medication (for the most part). I also have a pounding headache. I suspect this is still the effects of withdrawal, actually, because my tinnitus has been doing odd things, like changing pitch and frequency. It's never done that before. The really difficulty for me at this point is that I have a sense that withdrawal should be finished, but I have to remember that accommodating to going on the medication took longer than this, so changes are likely still happening in my brain.

Day 29. I do feel a bit silly that I'm still documenting my daily progress, but maybe it will be useful to someone discontinuing Remeron as well. Anyway, the last few days have been relatively rough, with anxiety and depression symptoms, as well as feeling generally unwell, particularly with headaches and nausea. But I feel better this morning. I cut back my caffeine consumption, which might have helped (I have, at times during discontinutation, been pretty sensitive to caffeine). So, it seems like I'm not fully stable, but I am relieved to be having a good day. Yesterday I was seriously debating starting another medication, because I felt like I might be relapsing. Today I feel more as though it's all part of the process of withdrawal.

It's not silly man, keep trucking and posting your updates. I'm following this thread closely.

I'm down to 3.75mg of Mirtazapine after 6 months on it and feels I need to get off it because it causes me to be severely tired during the day.

Tried to go off 7.5 cold turkey but crashed and burned 10 or so days off it. Next stop is 1.something mg, the only problem is that these f***ing pills are hard to cut down to that size.

Hang in there man!

Thanks, g0d! (Love the username.) I can completely relate to your difficulties with cutting the pills, which is why I jumped off at 3.75mg. That went much better than when I tried jumping directly off 15mg.

I'll keep posting!

Unfortunately I wasnt allowed to keep that username! :(

got an email saying that the admins had changed it because it didnt follow the guidelines, haha.

Yes, please do keep posting.

Took 1.8 or something tonight, and now I'm off to bed!

Cheers man!

How's your sleep by the way BrotherZoot?

I've been reading about sleeping problems when coming off remeron.

I was not sleeping as soundly as usual last night after a drop to 1.8mg

Have a good one!

My sleep is alright. It often takes me longer to fall asleep and I'm a lighter sleeper. I am often woken up by my wife, who's up before me in the morning, which never happened on Remeron. But, really, it's more of a normal sleep, rather than the unnaturally deep sleep Remeron gave me (not that I'm complaining about that!). I certainly have not had a return of the insomnia I was experiencing before going on Remeron (I was awake half the night).

Day 30. After a rough few days, I feel much better. More energy, only a very slight headache and my mood is great (in that I am not feeling anxious or depressed). I am quite pleased with this turn of events!

Oh, actually, I would say that I had a slight uptick in insomnia (or at least more disrupted sleep) for a few days (usually intermittently) after dose decreases.

sounds awesome that you had a good day!

Insomnia was the main reason for the pills in the first place for me. Had some real trouble sleeping for a few weeks which resulted in major anxiety and the pills really helped me with that. Lately though I'm suspecting that they are the reason for my state of zero energy during most days.

Keep on having them good days, I'll be rooting for you!

I was prescribed Remeron to address insomnia too, and at a level that's below what's usually prescribed for antidepressant effects (15 mg). But I was also on Lexapro, and the two can interact synergistically, so I may have been getting other therapeutic benefits from Remeron. (The magnitude of insomnia I was experiencing, though, was itself caused by Lexapro.)

Having come off Remeron, I do have more energy. I was almost nodding off during meetings and presentations, as well as on long drives. If I wasn't driving, I could barely stay awake in the car. That was pretty unusual for me--I mean, it was a rare occurrence, but on Remeron it happened all the time. And I had little energy or motivation. Now, I'm not suddenly a dynamo, but my tiredness seems much more appropriate for a guy who's working full time and raising two kids. I also can stay up past 11pm if I'm interested in a show or something that I'm reading, whereas it was a real struggle before.

Day 31. Still doing well. I am definitely more prone to anxiety and am generally more jittery. I do think I'm more susceptible to caffeine, but keep on drinking coffee anyway (maybe I'll learn soon). Also am still having headaches and upset stomach. It's really hard to say how much of any of this is withdrawal and how much is simply what I'm like off Remeron. It makes sense to me that it was likely keeping my anxiety in check through its sedative properties. That said, I have more energy now--am more motivated to exercise. And this morning my weight dipped below 170 for the first time in well over a year!

I know this may not be the exact thread for my situation but this seemed to be the most frequently active thread, so I'd like to begin with the fact that I have NO IDEA what do to. (and sorry if this is kinda long)

The love of my life(been with him for a year and a half) started taking 15mg Remeron roughly 2 1/2 months ago maybe around February 16th and I am utterly in shambles because since then it has been a steep decline to the doom of our relationship (we 'officially' split up around the last week of march) and I have absolutely no idea whats going on. Is this caused by this medication?(I think so) Before he started taking them he told me that everything was going to get so much better soon but look where we are! The most confusing thing to me is that he has made contact and come back to me a few times over these months, we hooked up, we went on a few dates, we hung out a little, we had several long and meaningful late night calls, etc. But he just isn't the same person that I knew before the pills and I am absolutely lost and I dont know what to do.

In my desperate and panicked state I think I may have even made it worse, I think i'm smothering him and he doesn't like my clingy behavior (which i admit I am trying so hard so so hard to control my emotions but i don't want to lose my soulmate forever..) he told me something along the lines of wanting to like start fresh and forget about both the good and bad of our past? I don't get it because if you want to start over and be with me why leave me in the first place? 

I think sometimes he may take 30mg because he gets them in 30mg and splits them, but I would not be surprised if he forgets to take them and just pops the whole pill (thats totally something he would do). In the beginning he seemed happy and stable but when i do see him now he seems as people have said; flat and unmotivated and completely emotionless. 

I'd like to mention that he both smokes illegal drug as well as drinks alcohol while on this pill which he knows is a huge issue but he will not stop(even though he has told me he wants to?). Its strange to me how many people claim to stop getting the urge to drink while on this pill but he has been drinking significantly more since he started. As well as before the pills he almost stopped tobacco completely but now he seems to frequently be smoking ( i only know this because of snapchat posts i see him in...he tends not to frequently interact with me anymore which is heart breaking because we used to see each other almost every day)

I know there's nothing i really can do i guess. I brought it to his attention last night that he has changed since he started the pills but i doubt anything will get better with us, he seems lost and sad. I wish i could either stop the drinking and the garden shrub or the pills or both. 

I guess I used this mostly to vent but if anyone has any input i'd really appreciate it because i would really love for my baby to wake up..this really isnt him. 

:) Xol

Xol, you'll probably get more responses if you post that in a separate thread.

I don't think anyone can tell you whether your boyfriend's behaviour is due to the Remeron or not. It might be, or it might be due to insufficiently treated depression, or it might be because of other issues between the two of you. Has he been on other antidepressants or psychiatric medication? Adjusting to being on medication is difficult and could affect his feelings in ways he might not recognize right away.

I haven't smoked pan in a long time, but I drank regularly on Remeron. It didn't interact at all with the medication. Remeron didn't make me want to drink less--if anything it made me want to drink more. Could be part of its general "appetitive" effects.

If he is sometimes taking 30 mg instead of the usual 15 mg, he probably shouldn't do that. It will only really cause side-effects, andwon't influence the therapeutic effects of the drug. You need to build up a steady state of the drug in your bloodstream for that, and that takes a more prolonged time at a higher dose.

Thank you so much for responding to me and haha sorry if i happened to interrupt your daily updates ( i really appreciate them though because i feel like i can get a better understanding of how these kinds of medications effect people). There are probably several factors that are contributing the my situtation and I guess it's just something I need to accept. I know that way before I met him he's been on other antidepressants (I dont know the names of any of them though) which he told me he got addicted to and then abused which is why he's on Remeron now because apparently its not addictive (he wasnt on anything when we met or until feburary though because he kinda was self medicating with the pan).

Thank you for your input man and I really hope things will be good and work out for you and me. :)

Days 32 & 33. I've had a good couple of days and quite good overall. Not much anxiety or depression. I have been having stomach pains after I eat, which I had before I started medication, so they may be anxiety-related. Otherwise feeling good. I've been more emotional, but in a good way.

Day 34. I've noticed a pattern--I generally feel worse Monday morning, though I guess that's true for pretty much everyone. Maybe it's because I get less sleep. I just want to crawl back into bed this morning and it's a struggle to keep myself from doing it. Definitely a down mood too and little energy.

Days 35 and 36. Feeling better and pretty good overall. Seems like Monday's are relatively bad and then things improve! I feel like I'm pretty well over the withdrawal from Remeron and am just adjusting to being off that medication now. Have to get a better feel for what I'm like off these meds.