Sign in to follow this  
BrotherZoot

Advice on coming off Remeron

Could be related with remeron withdrawal because I  went off about 2 months ago  tapered down 15mg over two weeks and felt cold alot for no reason. I tapered too quickly and had to go back on at 15mg. I am going to taper off of it again this summer and will go low and slow this time. Remeron has been great for me but I d like to come off it eventually pretty much for the same reasons as you.

Well, for whatever reason, I feel quite good today and have pretty much all day. Either yesterday was due to drinking Saturday night or just a blip in the withdrawal, I guess. I also don't feel physically cold today.

And I'm back to feeling quite negatively again. I was super-irritable this morning and this afternoon I feel just bad. Heightened anxiety, preoccupation with my feelings, really negative mood. I also have a headache, feel a bit queasy and unmotivated. I wish there were some way to tell whether these are withdrawal symptoms or the return of depression/anxiety. Some of the things I had associated with side-effects of Remeron--tinnitus and voracious appetite--are still intact too. In fact, the tinnitus may be worse. It's very frustrating.

Oh, I'm at three weeks since my last decrease in doseage.

Edited by BrotherZoot

3 hours ago, BrotherZoot said:

And I'm back to feeling quite negatively again. I was super-irritable this morning and this afternoon I feel just bad. Heightened anxiety, preoccupation with my feelings, really negative mood. I also have a headache, feel a bit queasy and unmotivated. I wish there were some way to tell whether these are withdrawal symptoms or the return of depression/anxiety. Some of the things I had associated with side-effects of Remeron--tinnitus and voracious appetite--are still intact too. In fact, the tinnitus may be worse. It's very frustrating.

Oh, I'm at three weeks since my last decrease in doseage.

Thats too bad Brother. Sounds like your symptoms are more related with withdrawal than depression/anxiety. I guess the only encouraging take away is that your already experiencing good days and its still early on. Are you still at 3.75mg daily? I hope tomorrow you feel like you did yesterday!   

That's a good perspective, Jay, thanks! I guess in part I'm just not sure about the potential timeline for withdrawal symptoms. My doctor seemed to think they should happen in the first 5 days after cutting the dose, which seems to be inaccurate based the experiences I've read about here.

Anyway, rather than give in to the negativity yesterday, I convinced myself to cycle on my trainer for about an hour and watch a lecture on personality psychology. I felt better after than and felt quite good this morning (energized, even). I'm a bit more tired now, but still feeling good. I am trying not to get too hung up on every little change in mood I experience but I'm also the kind of person who monitors these things very closely as a general rule.

Just as an update, I feel great today. As with the previous decrease in dose, I have more energy overall and motivation too. It appears that the anxiety/negativity I experienced earlier this week were blips associated with withdrawal. In a couple of weeks I'll cut out the 3.75 mg and try going off Remeron completely. I haven't experienced any rebound insomnia at all so far.

BrotherZoot thanks for all you've posted, I am almost in the same place you are and have been. I feel many of the same symptoms that you and I also have my ups and downs. One thing that I may add is when I first started tapering I started to take Seriphos and Inositol to help me with the anxiety symptoms and help me sleep. They seem to work for me... maybe it is the placebo effect but who cares it is working.

I'm glad my posts might be of some use, 5ZVP. I hadn't heard of Seriphos, sounds interesting. Anything that counteracts Cortisol is likely to be quite useful! And even if it is the placebo effect, as you said, who cares? I hope things continue to go well for you.

Okay, so I went entirely without Remeron last night in order to start my drop from 3.75 mg to 0 mg. I didn't really expect to notice anything, though I do have a slight headache today and more pronounced tinnitus. I also had a fitful sleep--not insomnia, but I was awake more often than normal and it took longer to fall asleep.

Day 4, upset stomach this morning, headache, irritable. It definitely takes me longer to get to sleep and I wake up more often, which might account for me also being tired today. Still, no severe symptoms so far. I'm doing alright.

Day 5, feel quite good, really. I have more energy than I used to. I am waking up early, which I haven't been doing for a while because on Remeron I have to drag myself out of bed. I haven't had a headache even today. I had some heightened anxiety and feeling just sort of "off" yesterday--and periodically on other days--but nothing major and it typically only lasts an hour or two.

Day 6. So, later in the day yesterday I had a few hours where I was pretty nauseous and felt just generally crappy. I would've just gone and laid down but I had dinner plans and went ahead with them anyway. And I ate and drank some alcohol despite feeling a bit queasy and it was probably the best thing to do.

This morning I felt a bit rotten too, particularly after I ate. But just went out on my bike for an hour and am feeling pretty good now. Advil helped too.

Day 7. Felt really rotten when I woke up this morning, just in a foul mood. I took a couple of Advil but still have a headache now. Upset stomach, tired. I am feeling better now than when I got up, but still feel pretty unwell. But, still, it's manageable and because I know it's from withdrawal and temporary, I can go with it. I'll get out for some exercise later--which is great given that we finally have some nice weather!

Day 8. I felt like crap much of the day yesterday. Today I am extremely anxious, but that's because of some that's happening in my personal life (terrible timing, really). In terms of withdrawal, I think things are going okay. Still don't feel great, but I don't have a headache today!

39 minutes ago, BrotherZoot said:

Day 8. I felt like crap much of the day yesterday. Today I am extremely anxious, but that's because of some that's happening in my personal life (terrible timing, really). In terms of withdrawal, I think things are going okay. Still don't feel great, but I don't have a headache today!

I hope you arent as anxious once you sort out your personal life stuff. Glad to hear that your headaches are gone! Great thread Brother Im glad your updating it. 

Day 9. Still feeling anxious, but it is still likely due (in large part) to the personal issue I'm dealing with (which I am ruminating far too much on, though I'm trying not to let it get to me). Aside from that, I have a slight headache today, didn't sleep particularly well last night (though, again, likely related to the anxiety). Although I feel kind of like crap, I think the withdrawal is going fine.

Slight update (still Day 9); I am feeling pretty rotten today, like I have the flu or something. Headache, achey joints, chills as well as just feeling like I have a dark cloud hanging over me. This is more than just due to the personal stuff going on--feels very much like withdrawal.

Day 10: Feel generally better today, despite the personal issues I'm having to deal with. The timing of those issues is unbelievable and certainly testing my resolve to get off medication. However, aside from the anxiety and (slight) sleeplessness associated with that, I'd say I'm doing well with withdrawal. Still feel a bit run down, but okay. That said, between dropping the Remeron and the stress I'm experiencing, I've lost 3 lbs in the past 5 days!

Days 11, 12, 13. Had periods of nausea and headaches over the past few days. Also was exhausted the last two days, but didn't have great sleep those nights. Overall, I'm doing fine. I'd say I'm still adjusting, but I really can't complain about withdrawal. Dropping my doses more gradually made a big difference for me and made coming off the Remeron not very difficult. I mean, I am still in the adjustment phase, but it's been very manageable for me.

Day 14. Having some trouble with motivation these days, and feel like I have a dark cloud hanging over me. I recognize these feelings from about the two-week mark with each dose decrease, so I am reasonably sure that's what's causing it. Certainly I intend to stick with my plan.

Day 15 & 16. Didn't take any Advil the past two days--that's an improvement! My more purely physiological symptoms seem to have mostly subsided. I still get some upset stomach after eating, but that's about it. The psychological issues are more of an issue now. I have more feelings of depression (the acute anxiety also seems to have settled down). They aren't bad, by any means, but they often make me worry that I'm starting to relapse. I don't think I am though. I often feel better than I did when I was on Remeron, even at a full dose. I really don't think I need it anymore and it's just my brain adjusting to all the neurotransmitter changes and changes in receptor sites.

Anyway, I'm doing good. Better than I was last week even. I don't really anticipate any real issues at this point.

Day 17 & 18. Still doing fine. While on Remeron, I would go to presentations at work and struggle to not fall flat asleep. That's stopped. Now I feel tired when I don't get enough sleep, but it's a much more usual kind of tired feeling. Not like I'm struggling to keep my eyes open, just tired. My appetite has also settled down considerably. I'm not constantly and voraciously hungry anymore. While on Remeron I would feel like I was constantly depriving myself because I felt so constantly hungry, but I struggled to keep myself from gaining weight. Now I don't feel like I'm depriving myself and my weight is dropping.

Day 19. Still feel good. One unexpected change I've noticed is that I'm eager to exercise. I've always maintained a regular exercise schedule, but for the last couple of years it's been a chore and I've generally had to force myself to do it. These days I look forward to it and I feel great afterwards! Seems like something about the Remeron dampened my natural positive response to exercise.