Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

Donate Now   11/12/2017

Depression Forums has no real advertising help and no corporate sponsors. We depend on the support from our readers and especially our members. Your Donations would help DF to continue to stay on the internet and is greatly appreciated. Give the gift that keeps on giving. Donate Now  
Sign in to follow this  
Emmyx

Depression over past sins. Help!

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

Hey all.

I am very down and depressed over a sin I commited in the past. I am a Christian and in one moment of madness in the past, I took my top off for a guy. Now I am married and I feel terrible about it. I wake up early in the morning thinking about it, I have really bad feeling in my stomach. My husband forgives me and I know God forgives me. It hasn't ruined any of our relationships in marriage as I never did anything. But I feel so down and depressed over what I did. People are getting frustrated at me and can't understand why I can't get over it and move past it. I'm trying to. But when I wake up thinking about it and how terrible I was, j feel so down and depressed the rest of the day. It is ruining my life and my marriage. Someone please help me! 

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited) · Report post  

@Emmyx since you are Christian you can get comfort from the Bible as to how our Creator views you. For instance, here is  Psalms 103: 8-14

God is ready and willing to forgive us if we are truly repentant for sins we have done. If you talked to your husband, asked God for forgiveness, and never repeated that conduct again, you don't have to feel guilt anymore. As the Psalms says he shows mercy to those that fear him. That is not a morbid fear of him, seeing him as just a punisher of sinners. Its a healthy fear that comes from deep love and respect for him, recognizing his authority over us, and a desire to want to make him proud of us for doing the right and good thing. Guilt is only of benefit if it moves us to do what is right, and to take proper steps to correct wrong conduct.  It appears that you have already done this, so now guilt is harming you. Don,t hold this mistake against yourself when not even God does. Trust that what he says is the truth, he has no doubt already forgiven you, now its time for you to forgive yourself.

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove scripture, leave scripture citation in religious debate board

Posted · Report post  

Please forgive yourself, as others - as you say God has.

Would it help if you somehow atoned for this moment of madness?  Tithe a little extra?  Donate time or money to a women's shelter?  Man the phones somewhere?

You cannot retrieve a moment; don't try and don't fret.  What you do next is all that matters.  Whatcha gonna do, my friend?  :console:

Posted · Report post  

As someone who is not a Christian, and who has not given in to nihilism and despair, I subscribe to the philosophy of living without regrets. So all I will ask of you is this: What can you do to erase your regrets? What cause can help you achieve fulfillment? Quote: "I love he who is so full that he forgets himself."-Frederich Nietzsche 

Posted · Report post  

You are beating yourself up over something exceedingly minor.  I was a guilt-ridden Catholic girl and even I didn't beat myself up over getting to second base.  There are far, far more grievous sins.  Let it go, sweetie.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Posted · Report post  

If this is really the issue about which you feel such shame and guilt, remember that none of us is who we were when we did something we can look back at with regret.  Let yourself off the hook and look at yourself with compassion. 

Wishing you healing and self-forgiveness,

WOTL

Posted · Report post  

On 2/4/2017 at 2:31 AM, Emmyx said:
Advertisement

Hey all.

I am very down and depressed over a sin I commited in the past. I am a Christian and in one moment of madness in the past, I took my top off for a guy. Now I am married and I feel terrible about it. I wake up early in the morning thinking about it, I have really bad feeling in my stomach. My husband forgives me and I know God forgives me. It hasn't ruined any of our relationships in marriage as I never did anything. But I feel so down and depressed over what I did. People are getting frustrated at me and can't understand why I can't get over it and move past it. I'm trying to. But when I wake up thinking about it and how terrible I was, j feel so down and depressed the rest of the day. It is ruining my life and my marriage. Someone please help me! 

Not getting over it has to do more with your MI than you may realize,we tend to over do everything. But to a certain point feeling just a bit guilty could be a good thing, its your antenna in life but don't let ruin your life. As you said: God has forgiven you, now accept it and move on. Believe me, there's many more things that should concern you and this isn't one of them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I think the first step would be to try and acknowledge that what you did wasn't actually as big of a deal as you think it was. You did something that you thought would be fun and made someone else happy in the process. No one was hurt. Your action brought positive feelings into the world yet you've been led to believe by other humans that such actions are a sin. But I don't believe this is so much a religious thing as it is a mental one. Some of us will punish ourselves needlessly whether we're religious or not, it's just how cruel our brains can be. 

Edited by King of Medicine

Posted · Report post  

The devil loves when we hold onto our sins and cannot give them over to God and accept forgiveness. He uses it to distract us from what's actually important in life. It sounds like you are being spiritually attacked (I myself have been in the same situation about many past sins that I have committed). The enemy wants you to continually think about your sins, while the Lord forgives you and sees you as blameless (and so does your husband). I would suggest having some solid christian friends or pastors/leaders of the church pray over you. You do NOT need to give anyone specifics, God already knows. You can just explain you're having a hard time accepting that you have been completely forgiven. The Lord loves you and there's nothing you can DO (good or bad) to make Him love you any more or any less. You are His daughter and that's how He sees you.:icon12:

Posted · Report post  

I think all of us have regrets in life. I wish I could go back and change alot of things. If that is the worst thing you have ever done, I'm in deep trouble. I have Tourette's Syndrome, Pure "O" OCD and MDD. I also havery chronic abdominal pain due to a rare birth defect. Sometimes I feel like it's my fault and God is punishing for things I have done in the past. Although I was born that way. I have regrets, bUT I can't fix them now. All I can do is my best to please God in the future. Ted