Sign in to follow this  
Inbetween

Abilify and diabetes

So ive been on abilify for 2.5 years. My blood sugar has gone up. This year it was at 123, almost diabetic, so my pdoc finally agreed that i should quit it. Has anyone quit it and had their sugar level go back to normal or will it be stuck high? My pdoc doesnt know.

Hi Inbetween...i personally haven't had this experience...at least not YET since I have only been on it for about a year. 

i did a little bit of internet snooping and found out that this can be a side effect of Abilify. Can you talk to your GP? None of us are doctors here of course and I am sure we should not depend solely on internet findings. See if your GP knows or can find out.

I am curious if thre is anyone on DF with this experience.

Natasha

Thanks for the responses! I have talked to my psychiatrist and primary care physician and the options are: I can stay on Abilify and start taking another medicine to deal with the blood sugar, like mikl_pls mentioned, or get off abilify and hope that the blood sugar levels drop. I'm looking to see if anyone who had this issue had their sugar go down after getting off abilify. From browsing the internets, I have seen both cases. I might *still* need to get on something for the blood sugar even after getting off Abilify.- I hope that isn't the case!

Damn Mikl_pls, you have been on a lot of meds!!!

So i have been off the abilify for 20 days. The 14th i had a serious depression episode. Today i woke with anxiety like i havent had in years. The past two weeks ive had head pressure that makes me dizzy and wont go away. My pdoc wants me back on the abilify since i was stable on it. I am scared of diabetes and high cholestoral which it caused. Not sure what to do. Panicking.

maybe trust her for now. it would take some time to develop right? although i think you arr the person where your numbers are up? did she seem concerned about that? maybe there is something different to try instead?