Sign in to follow this  
kaymichele01

Question about Escitalopram

Hi all. So, I've been on escitalopram for almost 2 years now. I was on 10mg for about a month or two before switching to 20mg and have been on that since. About 6 months ago I added 120mg of Wellbutrin as well. Unforunately, my insurance ran out at the end of December and in order to get my escitalopram, I will have to pay $115 basically once a month in order to keep taking this. My question is how can I safely wean myself off without going into a full on withdrawal? I know not consulting a doctor first doing this can be risky and dangerous but at the moment, I have no other options. I plan to continue the Wellbutrin because it's only $29 to refill and I can afford that. I also live in TN and almost all insurance companies have pulled out of the marketplace so getting insurance again is going to cost me wayyyyy more than I can possibly afford. I'm kind of in a bad situation with that and I need some alternatives. Help!?

I had a similar situation about 10 years ago.  I was taking citalopram 20mg, similar to what your taking.  I called the doctor's office and explained my situation and they told me how to wean myself off.  I know I had to take a half dose everyday but I forgot how long.  I would suggest you call the doctor and talk to them about it.  They should be able to help you wean off the escitalopram.  Good luck!