Sign in to follow this  
standup

Songs That Give You Goosebumps

I have lots of music giving me cutis anserina, but these especially:

"Song for You," by Leon Russell, but I think the most spine-chilling gorgeous version is by Morgana King.

"You Go To My Head," It's a jazz standard and Ella Fitzgerald, accompanied by guitarist Joe Pass...oh it's goosebumpalicious!

"The Galaxy Song," by Eric Idle, from Monty Python's Meaning of Life always gives me the happy-feels.

If Vaughn-Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis comes on the radio, I stop what I am doing and listen, it's so potent. The same for Beethoven's 7th Symphony (especially the 2nd movement), or Brahms's 4th Symphony. And if the choral movement from Beethoven's 9th or if it's any part of the Brahms Requiem, I just got to sing along. Because I have sung those pieces in choral groups.

I have one song I can hardly bear to listen to, it fills me with such grief: "I Will Wait For You," from the "Umbrellas of Cherbourg." Composer was Michel Legrand. It was part of the soundtrack of the Futurama episode where Fry wants to clone his fossilized dog...a flashback shows his dog waiting for Fry, while Fry leaves for the year 3000. It's too painful to contemplate. I think I react so severely because of being abandoned by parents at crucial times in my life.

And on that note...I'm going to go listen to "The Galaxy Song." It never fails to cheer me up. 

15 hours ago, Dolphin2013 said:

I have one song I can hardly bear to listen to, it fills me with such grief: "I Will Wait For You," from the "Umbrellas of Cherbourg." Composer was Michel Legrand. It was part of the soundtrack of the Futurama episode where Fry wants to clone his fossilized dog...a flashback shows his dog waiting for Fry, while Fry leaves for the year 3000. It's too painful to contemplate. I think I react so severely because of being abandoned by parents at crucial times in my life.

I'm compelled to  listen to this song, reading that. I feel that way sometimes about beautiful songs or beautiful things in general; sometimes they are blinding. Especially sad, beautiful things, and especially sad beautiful songs. And the Futurama scene. .. you have no idea what that did to my heart reading that, b/c I did a version of that to my dog and have been so so lost without him. Thank you for sharing this song, I really like it. But I have to leave the room now because I am so sad remembering it. My poor baby boy.

K... I must have needed that. Heart chakra jumping jacks going on all month.

Dolphin, in a very astounding 'coincidence' I have felt a similar way about a song by the sometimes punk sometimes folk band Pygmy Lush called "I Will Wait with You". I have always read the dead dog experience I mentioned into that song. GDit I want to cry again... but the lyrics go ...

Drift across, two by two, buy and buy out
Search my name, I will know I'm home

If I stay too long, you will know
There went the light out, Connected to my soul
It's a nervous thing, To the way we've always been

To the end, Start again. Every moment, Brand new.
I'm your pal, Till I'm dead. If you're scared and dirty:
I'll wait with you...To the end. To the end. To the end. To the end.

The month I'm having, I am sincerely believing that this is him talking to me from the death realm.

Dolphin, I don't mean to blindside you with seeming craziness, but I was talking online for some time last night and the last place I looked online before I slept was this forum. In fact the last post I saw, the last my page was 'randomly' scrolled to was by you. I have vivid dreams almost every night and have been using them to figure things out. I have had luck and consider it valid to look up dream symbolism for the 'coincidences' I see in my waking life and at one point was seeing dolphins in many ways over a short period of time. I have a dolphin coffee mug I really like that sort of sparked this. But the symbolism I read about with dolphins is about dreams themselves; conveyors of dreams. So when the last thing I 'randomly' saw was an image of six dolphins, I sort of knew my dreams would be bustling.

And true to form I had some very insightful dreams last night. The dreams even involved parenting in a couple key ways. I saw a giant hawk swoop by me and collect its two younger hawks and fly away. Then I saw some representation of my Animus who was really lighthearted and nice and giving; he was a barista and I felt a kindred spirit, like he was teaching me ways to be in innocuous ways. All morning I've been sort of acting like a barista/server around the house, just being tidy and thoughtful with others, making and serving things.

Not sure if this makes any sense or resonates with you, but I am completely laid out with the serendipity of all of this. Something has been internally urging me to be more vocal about these experiences and something told me posting those lyrics and telling you about the dream was a good idea. I hope it was!

All the best!

-Link

Edited by LostLink

@LostLinkThanks! I'm now having a difficult day/evening because I did something really stupid. And am constantly reminded of a lost love. :(

Just heard Cat Power singing, "Half of You" from the soundtrack, to, I think "True Blood" (was that the vampire HBO series?). I have a playlist of music heard on TV shows and it's mostly upbeat or rockingly moody. But some are just... moody.

I don't want to cry, but I'm about to.

I hope you find a good space to cry it out, Dolphin2013. Shoot I must have added to the reminder. Big internet mouth over here.

Gods, I love Cat Power sososo much. That song is wonderful. "Rockingly Moody" is my favorite jam! Enter Bjork and Daughter, I listen to that kind of music more than anything else.

Edited by LostLink

What a great thread!  Too many songs give me goosebumps....

Please remember that it is against the TOS to post links. 

Please only post the title of the YouTube video, or the song name and artist. 

Members can also PM you for the link if necessary.  Thank you!!

1 hour ago, 20YearsandCounting said:

Please remember that it is against the TOS to post links. 

Please only post the title of the YouTube video, or the song name and artist. 

Can I ask, is this a recent thing, and what's the reason for it? Is it just in the "serious" boards or does it apply to The Water Cooler too?

Song: Like Spinning Plates.

Edited by King of Medicine

12 hours ago, SoCalAce said:

@hocico The anger is already there. The song makes me feel liberated from the anger in a way.

I think I understand how you mean :hugs:

Gary Numan - Bleed (hybrid remix) the powerful ending of this sends a shiver down my spine.

Edited by hocico

little drummer boy by Pentatonix.

its an easy youtube search. i start crying before the end of the first verse. its uncontrollable. music is my life so when i hear several layers of "stuff" going on it moves me. sometimes i hate my training lol but in the end i do love that im affected so strongly that my whole body reacts. good god imagine if i were unmedicated. 

'Birth Pain' and 'Romance' by Apocalyptica.  They may be instrumentals, but they really get to me everytime. 

'Coma' by Apocalyptica is really well done.  There is that almost annoying note that threads continuously throughout the arrangment that seems to signify that the person's life is not gone, just subsumed.