Sign in to follow this  
standup

Am I being impatient? ECT keeps looking better and better

You know how they say adding Abilify to an antidepressant can be helpful for treatment-resistant people? Well, I started Rexulti (similar to Abilify) 10 days ago and I'm not feeling anything. For most meds, 10 days is nothing. But everything I've been reading about Rexulti/ Abilify says that most people start feeling something by 10 days. So here I am feeling nothing, or very little.

I know I need to probably give this more time but my patience has been very low for a long time. This episode has literally been going on for several years (with the past year being the worst). I try to not get my hopes up, but it's just a natural thing, especially after reading that this medication worked wonders for other treatment-resistant people.

By my next appointment, if I'm not feeling any better, I'm asking for ECT. I'm just done. I can't do this anymore. I can't live and I can't die. Modern ECT isn't the boogeyman. It's much better nowadays. Even if there's some risk of memory loss, I don't give a flying **** anymore. I need relief. I need to feel human again.

I've been through lots different anti depressants and combinations over 20 years and still trying to find something that works. ECT has never been discussed as an option, i think it's a very very last resort in extreme cases only. If these are your first drugs it his highly highly unlikely you'd be referred for ECT

31 minutes ago, shiznit76 said:

I've been through lots different anti depressants and combinations over 20 years and still trying to find something that works. ECT has never been discussed as an option, i think it's a very very last resort in extreme cases only. If these are your first drugs it his highly highly unlikely you'd be referred for ECT

I think I've been on enough medications and the length and severity of this depression should warrant some kind of emergency action. I will go inpatient if I have to and demand ECT. I think it might be easier where I live. We have a hospital here with a brand new ECT wing. I think ECT is becoming more popular with the rise of treatment-resistant depression. A lot of people get it done nowadays with great success. I'm done playing this game. I will threaten if I have to.

Have you tried acupuncture or yoga or other alternative medicine modalities? If not there's a whole other slew of things that have been around for a long time with a proven track record of success. I really feel uneasy about ECT, I just feel like there's so many other safer things to try before even considering that.

Stand-up.Your a strong person and I truely believe youll find relief soon. Ive also heard that ECT treatment has come along way and that its not nearly as invasive as before. Their is also Ketamine infusions that could be an option as well. Im sending positive vibes and hopefully youll find a bit of relief from the rexulti in the meantime.  

5 minutes ago, DurandalBlue said:

Have you tried acupuncture or yoga or other alternative medicine modalities? If not there's a whole other slew of things that have been around for a long time with a proven track record of success. I really feel uneasy about ECT, I just feel like there's so many other safer things to try before even considering that.

I need something strong, effective, and now. I've tried so many things for so long. I just don't care about possible side effects anymore. It's kind of a life and death thing. I'm done trying things. Time to bring out the big guns because this monster just refuses to be slayed.

FYI, I can't afford anything else anyways. I spent all my money on kratom.

Edited by standup

4 minutes ago, jay89 said:

Stand-up.Your a strong person and I truely believe youll find relief soon. Ive also heard that ECT treatment has come along way and that its not nearly as invasive as before. Their is also Ketamine infusions that could be an option as well. Im sending positive vibes and hopefully youll find a bit of relief from the rexulti in the meantime.  

Thanks jay. I would do ketamine but it's not FDA approved yet so it's all out-of-pocket and I can't afford it. 

Are you taking a strong enough dose of kratom? I only found out just the other day the dose I was taking was way too low. Now I'm going to start taking a higher dose which should make a difference. Also it's important to alternate strains to avoid tolerance build up. Do some research and make sure your kratom regimen is performing optimally.

I would say that acupuncture is strong and effective and shouldn't take long to see a difference. Within 1-3 treatments or maybe a few more should make a difference. I know it does cost money but there must be a way for you to raise a little extra money to at least try it. Out of all the alternate healing modalities this is one of the big guns. It's been around for 1000's of years and there are clinics everywhere. There's no doubt it works. 

I just don't think that depression, mental disorders is all necessary just a brain issue but that's just my opinion. In the end it's your decision. If you're open to trying some other safer more powerful options first before doing ECT let me know and I will share them with you. They aren't the ones I normally post on here.

Edited by DurandalBlue

7 minutes ago, DurandalBlue said:

Are you taking a strong enough dose of kratom? I only found out just the other day the dose I was taking was way too low. Now I'm going to start taking a higher dose which should make a difference. Also it's important to alternate strains to avoid tolerance build up. Do some research and make sure your kratom regimen is performing optimally.

I would say that acupuncture is strong and effective and shouldn't take long to see a difference. Within 1-3 treatments or maybe a few more should make a difference. I know it does cost money but there must be a way for you to raise a little extra money to at least try it. Out of all the alternate healing modalities this is one of the big guns. It's been around for 1000's of years and there are clinics everywhere. There's no doubt it works. 

I just don't think that depression, mental disorders is all necessary just a brain issue but that's just my opinion. In the end it's your decision. If you're open to trying some other safer more powerful options first before doing ECT let me know and I will share them with you. They aren't the ones I normally post on here.

Thanks for the input. I'm just having a bad day, hopefully. Kratom is a mixed bag for me. It works great for a relatively short period of time but then things can get ugly. For some reason, I need to consume a lot to get the desired effects (even with zero tolerance, I need like 10-20 grams) and then my tolerance eventually skyrockets while the benefits get less and less. It's also really hard for me to take days off (I just can't feel good one day and then not take more the next day) and then I wind up addicted/ dependent on it. I just went through a withdrawal a few weeks ago. Thankfully, it was manageable. I did rotate strains, as well. There was a point where I was taking up to 50-60 grams/ day just to get a modest antidepressant effect. I would need like 20 grams when I woke up just to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms. I knew I had to stop. But even though I know it's probably a bad idea, I would still probably try again if I had any money.

Holy crap that's a lot lol. I have been taking like 1.5 grams twice a day so I have been take way too little lol. Now I'm going to start taking 3 grams twice a day. It is important to take days off. That's why I have other things to substitute. I take phenibut which you could say is similar. It makes me feel happier, euphoric, no side effects, no addictiveness, haven't developed a tolerance to it after 14 months now. It helps fill the gap during days I take off from kratom. My buddy had to tell me many many times kratom worked before I was open to taking it. So that's why I try to be open minded about trying new things. 

3 minutes ago, DurandalBlue said:

Holy crap that's a lot lol. I have been taking like 1.5 grams twice a day so I have been take way too little lol. Now I'm going to start taking 3 grams twice a day. It is important to take days off. That's why I have other things to substitute. I take phenibut which you could say is similar. It makes me feel happier, euphoric, no side effects, no addictiveness, haven't developed a tolerance to it after 14 months now. It helps fill the gap during days I take off from kratom. My buddy had to tell me many many times kratom worked before I was open to taking it. So that's why I try to be open minded about trying new things. 

Phenibut used to be a gap day thing for me too but when I stopped kratom, I started taking it everyday to help with the withdrawal. So now it doesn't do much anymore and I have to take it and probably have to go through a long taper. It's basically the same thing that happened with kratom. I just feel like I've used up all my tokens, if that makes sense.

The Master Cleanse is also something to consider.This is basically a water/lemon fast done for 10 days. This allows the body to ‘reset’ and get rid of toxins and damaged cells. I have done this myself and I felt better afterwards. Many other people report feeling way more energy, more clarity, feeling happier and calmer, overcoming illnesses, pain reduction and just feeling better in general.

People who say that when they started doing a raw food diet their life completely changed. Their mood skyrocketed and they feel way more balanced. I just found this testimonial from this girl on the master cleanse forum:  Yes, definitely discuss this with your prescribing physician before you embark on a Master Cleanse. 

That said, I will answer your question. I did my first MC because the side effects of the Lamictal and Topamax I had been taking to treat my bipolar disorder were becoming intolerable. I was diagnosed in 1992, and I have an unusual type in that I get toxic on subtherapeutic levels of lithium and I break through the other mood stabilizers (meaning I get manic or depressed even if I am taking them). I do respond well to antipsychotics when that happens, so what usually happens is that I am just given a large dose of something like Risperdal when I get symptomatic. The SSRIs can usually bring me out of a depression as well. So that is the kind of bipolar I have. 

I had been free from bipolar symptoms for about 6 months when I began to have side effects from the meds, and my psych doctor felt comfortable letting me try to live without them. I wanted to get all the traces out of my body, so I did the MC and I was fine. Usually, not eating or losing a lot of weight really quickly will spark a manic attack, but I was completely fine. After I finished the MC, I started a raw food diet and found the most incredible mental balance I have ever had. My boyfriend is astonished in the changes in my moods - before the MC/raw food diet, even if I wasn't actively depressed or manic, I was often short-tempered, irritable, emotional out of proportion to the situation. But now I am so even, so balanced. It's amazing. And the big test was that I just went through a phase in my life that triggered my last hypomanic episode last year, and this time around I was completely fine. Completely balanced. My psych doctor is thrilled, my friends and family are amazed, and I am so relieved. 

I am in no way telling you to stop your meds and replace them with fruits and vegetables. Rather, I am urging you to do some research on nutrition relating to mood disorders (Gabriel Cousens' Depression Free for Life is a good start) and empower yourself with knowledge so that you can have an informed discussion with your caretakers and make the decisions that are right for you. 

I know I am going on and on, but I can honestly say that the MC and raw foods changed my life. And my psych doc told me the most insightful thing: she reminded me that my disorder is not gone, it is just under control, and she told me that if I ever need to go on the meds again because some unforeseen event sparks another episode, all I have to do is remember where I am now and know that I can always come back to it after I am treated and the drugs bring me back to baseline. Now I view meds as a backup tool that are there if I need them, and I find my balance from the peace I get from eating well. Frankly, it's a lot more work to be on top of my nutrition than it is to take pills every day, but I feel great (and not too great, if you know what I mean...) 

Good luck to you!

This is now actually motivating me to try a raw food diet. I have heard from others as well that it changed their life. I think we both need to try this. It will help to keep each other motivated since we're both miserable SOB's haha.

I think ECT is safe enough... it didn't help me at all (unfortunately), nor did it harm me at all. I saw the people who have been miraculously changed by this treatment but sometimes the effect lasts just 4-5 months or so. I too tried abilify with zero effects and acupuncture even with zero placebo effect. (I don't say it can't help but I'm really sorry for the money I wasted on TCM...)

Good luck, no matter what way you'll choose.

On 12/30/2016 at 5:11 PM, Mikayla said:

I think ECT is safe enough... it didn't help me at all (unfortunately), nor did it harm me at all. I saw the people who have been miraculously changed by this treatment but sometimes the effect lasts just 4-5 months or so. I too tried abilify with zero effects and acupuncture even with zero placebo effect. (I don't say it can't help but I'm really sorry for the money I wasted on TCM...)

Good luck, no matter what way you'll choose.

TCM?

On 12/30/2016 at 11:11 PM, Mikayla said:

I think ECT is safe enough... it didn't help me at all (unfortunately), nor did it harm me at all. I saw the people who have been miraculously changed by this treatment but sometimes the effect lasts just 4-5 months or so. 

I agree, ECT is pretty safe. It's come a long way and is no longer the brutal procedure depicted in movies. Only negative side effects I experienced were confusion after waking up from anesthesia and temporary short-term memory loss. No pain or long-term problems whatsoever. 

Unfortunately it didn't help me but that was probably my fault because I stopped after only half the number of recommended treatments. 

16 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

I agree, ECT is pretty safe. It's come a long way and is no longer the brutal procedure depicted in movies. Only negative side effects I experienced were confusion after waking up from anesthesia and temporary short-term memory loss. No pain or long-term problems whatsoever. 

Unfortunately it didn't help me but that was probably my fault because I stopped after only half the number of recommended treatments. 

Did you do unilateral or bilateral? 

I'm desperate, and meds have failed me. My psychiatrist mentioned ECT for the first time last month, and I'm seriously considering it. My big fear is memory loss, already a problem with my MDD.

16 minutes ago, jeff70 said:

I'm desperate, and meds have failed me. My psychiatrist mentioned ECT for the first time last month, and I'm seriously considering it. My big fear is memory loss, already a problem with my MDD.

I know memory loss is a big concern, but I've already talked to several people who say they didn't get memory loss. I'm just willing to take that risk because I'm fairly desperate. There are still meds I can try but I don't know if I can wait that long.

I'm in a similar position, standup. I don't want to wade through all of the MAOIs if ECT will work within weeks, potentially.

4 minutes ago, jeff70 said:

I'm in a similar position, standup. I don't want to wade through all of the MAOIs if ECT will work within weeks, potentially.

Right. I'm not exactly eager to start going through months long trials of MAOI's or TCA's. My thing is, let me get some measure of relief through ECT, and then we can work on meds more easily. 

32 minutes ago, standup said:

Did you do unilateral or bilateral? 

Not sure tbh. Just looked through my old medical files but it doesn't say which type. Unfortunately they didn't take the time to explain much to me which is why I wasn't prepared for the temporary side effects.

1 minute ago, standup said:

Right. I'm not exactly eager to start going through months long trials of MAOI's or TCA's. My thing is, let me get some measure of relief through ECT, and then we can work on meds more easily. 

Yeah, that's probably the best approach. MAOIs have significant side effects and you need to be careful with drug interactions so ECT does sound a lot safer for now. 

One thing I don't like about this is that, apparently, you have to go inpatient for like 2 weeks for the initial treatments. After that, you do it on an outpatient basis as long as you have somebody to drive you and take care of you.

4 minutes ago, standup said:

One thing I don't like about this is that, apparently, you have to go inpatient for like 2 weeks for the initial treatments. After that, you do it on an outpatient basis as long as you have somebody to drive you and take care of you.

I may have to spend all four weeks (assuming 12 initial treatments) as an inpatient due to lack of a caretaker. Worth it.