I Miss My Cat

Doommantia

We lost our 18 year old kitty in June and I cant stop thinking about him, I miss him terribly. He was such a loving and loyal companion. People say cats are selfish animals and I used to think this way before we got one, and I can say that its simply not true. We didnt have him that long, 6 or 7 years, my aunt gave him to us as she couldnt take her cats with her when she moved to Australia (her other cats went to other relatives), but we grew quite a bond in that time so much so he was with me most of the time, following me around and sleeping on my lap.

It sounds silly but his loss was like losing a family member or friend. I needed to vent this somewhere without being told to "get over it its just a cat get another".

I'm really sorry to hear this. I own a dog, and about 2 months ago I had to give her to my aunt temporarily while I sort some things out. I know it's different because I know I will see her again one day, but I do very much miss the companionship and love that she provided me. She used to comfort me a lot when I was going through a hard time. Now I feel pretty alone most days - at least with her around I had some one who cared and loved me constantly by my side.

I feel sorry for people who say "just get another one" or similar things. They clearly are incapable of connecting with something non-human like we are. Ungh, that sounds a bit smug doesn't it. But it's probably true. Maybe they're just logical to the point of insensitive annoyance. Rigid, black and white thinkers.

I do love cats, but I think they're not really as nice as over the top cat lovers make them out to be. Sure, they're lovely to humans, but the way they treat other animals can be really awful, and I think you can tell a lot about a person or animal by the way it treats its enemies or things that it can overpower, not just by the way it treats their friends.

Sorry for your loss. Been through it before but not looking forward to having to inevitably go through it again.