Getting a job

Kurt87

I have no idea what to do at this point. I have a very low paid job for a social club doing their books (£60 a week, to be exact) and I pay my parents some of that because I still live at home. I have been doing it for 3/4 years now, but it's part time and so a lot of places overlook it in regards to experience. My only other jobs are working at Woolworths when I finished school for about 2 years and then I got a cleaning job. I was in the cleaning job while I was in (and failing) college and after that, my depression got much worse and I coasted in that job for a while, but it made me feel much worse about myself

Now I'm 29 with 18 months experience stocking shelves, a bunch of cleaning work and a few years part time. I'm with 6 agencies and apply for probably 50 jobs a month and have not even had a rejection letter/email, forget an interview. Before I got my bookkeeping job, I I went to the local Job Centre and all they would recommend was cleaning work since I had many years experience in that. But it makes me feel even worse as well as being as low paid as what I have now.

It makes me feel like a big failure and even worse about myself that I can't get any work. My clothes are getting old, I struggle to look after myself with how little I have and there's no chance of me leaving home. Just needed to vent, I've been up all night applying for jobs again knowing that nothing will come from it and it's so frustrating. I know my lack of jobs is down to my depression, but all people do is look at the CV and see a lack of experience at my age and will just assume I'm lazy or dumb.

Edited by Kurt87

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through this, Kurt87. Dealing with depression certainly does make it harder to find and stay in a job, and it's hard enough even for people without any mental health problems. It sounds like you've been trying very hard, though, with all the agencies you are with, and the number of applications you send per month. What kind of work have you been applying for, or would you ideally like to do?

It sounds like cleaning jobs really aren't for you and wear you down even more. Do you feel similarly about retail & bookkeeping, or do you feel better (or at least, less bad) about working in those areas than in cleaning?

If what you'd prefer to do is something qualifications could possibly help with, is there any chance you might be able to take a course at the local college, or online? For example, my local college offers an IT/programming course if you're interested in that area of work, or catering, or social care ... another idea for gaining experience is to volunteer somewhere related to a field you might like to go into for a while -- that always looks good on a CV and can be that stepping stone into a career in certain sectors. You could also try having your CV professionally reviewed if you haven't already, to see if there's anything you could change to make it stand out more to employers.

I hope that we can help at least a bit, and that you are able to find an area of work more suited for you soon.

Think @capulin has some practical and helpful advice. Another avenue maybe a career coach to objectively point out any opportunities that you may not have considered viable. You are skilled and have options. Another thing to be aware of is that January-Feb is when a lot of places will be recruiting.

In the meantime, keep posting here if you need help.

22 hours ago, Kurt87 said:
Advertisement

I have no idea what to do at this point. I have a very low paid job for a social club doing their books (£60 a week, to be exact) and I pay my parents some of that because I still live at home. I have been doing it for 3/4 years now, but it's part time and so a lot of places overlook it in regards to experience. My only other jobs are working at Woolworths when I finished school for about 2 years and then I got a cleaning job. I was in the cleaning job while I was in (and failing) college and after that, my depression got much worse and I coasted in that job for a while, but it made me feel much worse about myself

Now I'm 29 with 18 months experience stocking shelves, a bunch of cleaning work and a few years part time. I'm with 6 agencies and apply for probably 50 jobs a month and have not even had a rejection letter/email, forget an interview. Before I got my bookkeeping job, I I went to the local Job Centre and all they would recommend was cleaning work since I had many years experience in that. But it makes me feel even worse as well as being as low paid as what I have now.

It makes me feel like a big failure and even worse about myself that I can't get any work. My clothes are getting old, I struggle to look after myself with how little I have and there's no chance of me leaving home. Just needed to vent, I've been up all night applying for jobs again knowing that nothing will come from it and it's so frustrating. I know my lack of jobs is down to my depression, but all people do is look at the CV and see a lack of experience at my age and will just assume I'm lazy or dumb.

You have to find a job you can tolerate because it's bad physically and mentally to be always bored or always under surreal amounts of negativity. If you can find something manageable, I would advice you to keep it. No job is perfect. But it's important to draw a good line as to what you can cope with and what needs to stop.

The job market is terrible. I agree with you. I can see why so many people are completely discouraged or depressed. It's essential to have a stable income. If you want to have a decent quality of life, I'm wishing you luck hoping you can find something decent.

i have no university qualifications so can't really apply for any of the proper jobs i'd like. i work freelance and my work load has been steadily diminishing. now im back at uni but am about to quit again cos i can't handle the stress so am feeling even worse about the prospect of future employment. worked for five years as a teacher but i can't stand that anymore

• 5 months later...

Been away for a while but this is still an issue. I had my first interview last week and didn't get the job. It was pretty crushing. I never get interviews and stupidly got my hopes up about it. Debts are becoming an increasingly larger burden every passing month now and there's really nothing I can do about it earning so little. At this point, I don't see how I'm getting a job. Agencies can't find me anything and won't return my emails or calls. 

8 hours ago, Kurt87 said:

Been away for a while but this is still an issue. I had my first interview last week and didn't get the job. It was pretty crushing. I never get interviews and stupidly got my hopes up about it. Debts are becoming an increasingly larger burden every passing month now and there's really nothing I can do about it earning so little. At this point, I don't see how I'm getting a job. Agencies can't find me anything and won't return my emails or calls. 

Aren't their any factory jobs? If you can get something manageable, go for it.

The job market is so horrible that even cleaning and stocking shelves is 1000 times better than some of the harsh production line work they make people do. I didn't think I'd get to that point, but now I envy maintenance workers and shelf stockers. These aren't passionate jobs, but days go by so much faster.

Edited by The_Unwanted

Sanitation worker :) While physically exhausting and kinda gross at times it actually pays really well, better than many entry-level office jobs. I'm sure there are other jobs like that too, go for the ones that no one wants and you won't have much competition and they often pay well. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner