Emsam/Selegiline Posts

It's said to be an MAOI-A at higher levels (9mg and 12mg, possible some MAOI action at 6 mg too, it depends on the individual).

How did you do on SSRI's? What were your side effects (weight gain?) and why did you choose to move on to EMSAM instead of trying all the SSRI's, SNRI's, ect.?

Maybe you have, I just don't know your history.

That's right :bump: it's a B (one enzyme) at 6mgs, and A and B (both enzymes) starting at 9mgs. But, I don't know the particular names of the enzymes. :hearts:

I've never responded well to any SSRIs/SSNRIs/Tricyclics, etc. I'm diagnosed with "Refractory Depression" - which is just another way of saying, I don't respond to those classes of medications. I've been on about every antidepressant, starting in 1989, including all the a-typicals. The way my pdoc put it was, although the medication is in my system, my brain doesn't release it correctly. In some cases, when this happens to someone and they've tried everything, they can have ECT (electro convulsive therapy) and it will "reset" the brain to release the SSRI theraputically.

I was scheduled for ECT a month ago, but didn't follow through. I knew there was only 1 class of AD's I hadn't taken yet (MAOIs), so we talked about it. Hence, the Emsam. I would have taken MAOIs sooner, years ago, but the dietary restrictions were so strict, that it worried me. So, when the patch came out, it was finally on the table to consider. I'm reeeeally hoping that it works and I'm trying to stay really positive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone. i am starting the emsam 6/24 patch tonight, and looking forward to seeing if it works for me. i've been off lexapro for 3 horrible, dreadful weeks. didn't expect lexapro withdrawal to be so miserable, although not as bad as withdrawal from effexor and paxil, thank god! i am still taking adderral, although it's generally contraindicated w/emsam, i'm on a low dose (max 10 mg 2X day), and it has really worked well for my add. also still taking ativan to control my outbursts. i will keep you all posted. i wish more people were taking this so i could get a better idea of what to expect...oh well. i'll post again soon!

hi everyone. i am starting the emsam 6/24 patch tonight, and looking forward to seeing if it works for me. i've been off lexapro for 3 horrible, dreadful weeks. didn't expect lexapro withdrawal to be so miserable, although not as bad as withdrawal from effexor and paxil, thank god! i am still taking adderral, although it's generally contraindicated w/emsam, i'm on a low dose (max 10 mg 2X day), and it has really worked well for my add. also still taking ativan to control my outbursts. i will keep you all posted. i wish more people were taking this so i could get a better idea of what to expect...oh well. i'll post again soon!

Hi! I've been on the 6mg/24hr Emsam patch now for 24 days and I do see a little improvement. I have some days where I have energy and am able to do what I want. Then, I have other days where I feel like the patch isn't working! Pdoc wants to up the dose to the 9mg/24hr and I'm kinda scared because of the restrictions. I've been told to give it more time to work, but I don't know. The only side effects that I've really noticed is increased appetite, bad dreams, and I tend to wake up early and not be able to go back to sleep. I also take Xanax XR for the anxiety and Seroquel at night. Hope this works for you!

tnmom

Charlotte;

Tomorrow I go to new Dr and will request emsam as it's all I have left to try for Major Unipolar Depression. Am so happy to read your post & truly hoping Emsam is working for you.

I also could not believe how awful getting off of Lexapro was. Also had terrible W/D from Parnate, among others, in the past. I have TRD (treatment resistant depression) of many years plus ADD, the inattentive, non-hyper active type.

Didn't know that adderall was contraindicated w/ emsam as I have heard several people who take both do well. I wish you would post tonight. I need all of the push I can get to help me put one foot in front of the other and get to the Dr tomorrow! Depression is evil and it will paralyze me if I am complacent.

I am hoping for energy to help w/ work. I am so behind now I am not sure I can ever catch up. Most day's I know I'd be doing myself a favor if I'd just lie down and die. It would be a relief. As it is I die a small deaths everyday.

Hope to hear from you and all other's who have tried taking Emsam or Selegiline tabs, capsuls or liquid. Please post your positive & negative experiences here and help Charlotte and I get through this. Not feeling so alone if this med works, and especially if it does not, could save a life.

Thank You! eve

I too am very interested in anyone that gives EMSAM a try. Sounds very promissing for those with Treatment Resistent Depression (TRD). There are a few people trying it and posting on a different formum.
I would also love to find out about anyone using the MAO patches.... Anyone out there with any experience or advice???

thanks ,

gigi

Remission; Thank's for the web site address. I feel very stupid but I am unable to navigate that site and cannot find EMSAM posts. Is Dr. Bob's web site difficult to use for anyone else? I feel like just giving up, I am so frustrated.

eve

Edited by firelizardee

Hi Eve,

I tried the Emsam patch -- I actually think it had some postive effects, but you have to wear it in a new spot everyday and it would take my skin at least a week for each spot to return to normal color. Not that it had a painfully irritating effect on my skin, but certainly a noticeable puffy red square :hearts: Well worth it, I say, if it if it works for you. And it really didn't seem to have any other side-effects and I am usually pretty sensitive to anti-depressants (especially feeling sedated from them and this one did not have that tendency at all). So other than it being a hassle because it's not as simple as swollowing a pill, I have nothing negative to say about it (and you don't need to worry about the MAOI diet, up to a certain dose, I think). I'm a long-time sufferer too...and in a pit right now myself. Wish there was a way to test which meds work best with our individual brain chemisty -- we're all so different -- pretty exhausting going through experimenting phases with meds...pretty nice when the clouds lift a bit though too. Hope they do for you.

Nann

Hi Eve,

I tried the Emsam patch -- I actually think it had some postive effects, but you have to wear it in a new spot everyday and it would take my skin at least a week for each spot to return to normal color. Not that it had a painfully irritating effect on my skin, but certainly a noticeable puffy red square :hearts: Well worth it, I say, if it if it works for you. And it really didn't seem to have any other side-effects and I am usually pretty sensitive to anti-depressants (especially feeling sedated from them and this one did not have that tendency at all). So other than it being a hassle because it's not as simple as swollowing a pill, I have nothing negative to say about it (and you don't need to worry about the MAOI diet, up to a certain dose, I think). I'm a long-time sufferer too...and in a pit right now myself. Wish there was a way to test which meds work best with our individual brain chemisty -- we're all so different -- pretty exhausting going through experimenting phases with meds...pretty nice when the clouds lift a bit though too. Hope they do for you.

Nann

Hello Nann;

Thank's for taking time to reply. I guess it wasn't that great if you are still not on it, right? I know the feeling! You know the pill form Selegiline is very inexpensive and supposed to do the same thing...seems it would be easier except for the diet.

I have taken the MAOI's in the past for years and never pid attention to the diet. I did not go out of my way to eat the NO NO foods, however I eat cheese sometimes and other things. I told a Dr the above when he asked how I was able to stick to the diet for so long and he was shocked. I guess I just don't love living depressed that much. Always have had very low BP so guess it did not bother me.

Well...your reply does not make me want to run out and stock up on ensam as it is only mildly positive, but it is worth a try! If it works and I feel good for the first time in eons it will b so worth it. However then I might want to go to the beach or pool and it sure would look funny with a bunch of squares all over your body in diff shades of red. That or wear a granny swimsuit to cover my body up! Funny thing is that I have been too depressed to even think of wearing a swimsuit for decades, so won't be a problem!

Someone posted ages ago that they gained alot of weight on Ensam. Did you? May I ask why you stopped since it had a mildly positive effect? Was it just too much trouble?

Best of luck finding a med! If & when you do PLEASE let me know; OK???

I too am very interested in anyone that gives EMSAM a try. Sounds very promissing for those with Treatment Resistent Depression (TRD). There are a few people trying it and posting on a different formum.
I would also love to find out about anyone using the MAO patches.... Anyone out there with any experience or advice???

thanks ,

gigi

Remission; Thank's for the web site address. I feel very stupid but I am unable to navigate that site and cannot find EMSAM posts. Is Dr. Bob's web site difficult to use for anyone else? I feel like just giving up, I am so frustrated.

eve

Yes, it is very difficult to use. Not user-friendly at all. Yet, I'm not sure it's a bad set-up. It probably is more effective than most message boards, which is why it's never been changed.

You get to see the latest postings on the main page. If you click on a posting you can trace it back to the original post and all replied. Going back an looking through "achives" is difficult. However, using the seach option tends to get you more relevant posts than most message boards. I'm not sure why.

It's a nice place because there's such a rapid turn over and response rate. A lot of people there are self-taught (some professionally taught too) "drug experts". You can get a lot of good input and advice there. People of all ages, backgrounds, and with different disorders post (although depression and anxiety and the main complaints).

Edited by firelizardee

Jenna;

I am hoping that the reason you are not hanging around here much is b/c you are feeling great and the Ensam really is working for you! After a long period of Depression there's aot of life to catch up on I'm sure!

Or, perhaps you have been too down to post, (that happen's to me)? Please know that we care about you and want to hear from you!

Wishing you the best! eve

thanks ,

gigi

eve

Anyone doing well on the Ensam Patch? I have not started it yet, but hope to this week if i can get an Rx. I'll let you all know my experience with it and appreciate hearing about your's!

eve

Yes, it is very difficult to use. Not user-friendly at all. Yet, I'm not sure it's a bad set-up. It probably is more effective than most message boards, which is why it's never been changed.

You get to see the latest postings on the main page. If you click on a posting you can trace it back to the original post and all replied. Going back an looking through "achives" is difficult. However, using the seach option tends to get you more relevant posts than most message boards. I'm not sure why.

It's a nice place because there's such a rapid turn over and response rate. A lot of people there are self-taught (some professionally taught too) "drug experts". You can get a lot of good input and advice there. People of all ages, backgrounds, and with different disorders post (although depression and anxiety and the main complaints).

I've been taking Emsam patch sice Feb 06 it has been very good for me. Have tons of energy. Over the past year and a half I have had to increase dosage to the 12/40 mg patch. I also take Kilonapin and Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep and get better rest. With the increased energy I started walking, exercising have lost weight 58 lb. to date, feel very good most of the time. I feel better so I want to do more. Pray it continues to work.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had trouble with the patch not staying stuck or coming off during the day? I live in the deep South so its hot and humidity is greater than in some other places.

Otherwise great experience with Emsam.

I've been taking Emsam patch sice Feb 06 it has been very good for me. Have tons of energy. Over the past year and a half I have had to increase dosage to the 12/40 mg patch. I also take Kilonapin and Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep and get better rest. With the increased energy I started walking, exercising have lost weight 58 lb. to date, feel very good most of the time. I feel better so I want to do more. Pray it continues to work.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had trouble with the patch not staying stuck or coming off during the day? I live in the deep South so its hot and humidity is greater than in some other places.

Dear grayycoyote;

This is music to my ears! After several false starts I believe Iwill actually get the Ensams patch Rx'd tomorrow. I so hope with all my heart that it works for me as it has for you! I would love to know everything about it. Do you mind sharing your diagnosis? Mine is Unipolar Depression (regular Depression) w/ some anxiety and severe insomnia.

How long after you started taking it did it begin to help you? The tons of energy really amazes me and I need that so much! So glad that it has been helping you for well over a year now! Congradulations on the weight loss! Are you now better able to get things done around the house and/or at work?

I am praying that Ensam continues to work for you 'greycoyote', as you have asked! I am so desperate for relief that yesterday I looked up the Patron Saints for Depression (this is not something i would ordinarily do, believe me) and on the list are 'Saint Chritina The Amazing' and 'Saint Michelina', among other's. I'm going to pray to both Saints to intercede for us graycoyote.

In all honesty, I must confess that I gave up prayer long ago, so it may take a while to get through, if indeed that is possible. However, I am going to start thinking it is possible right now b/c (if I remember correctly from long ago religious studies) it is all about you having FAITH that your prayer will be answered. I usually see things in a more scientific manner but amm now inviting spiritual back in!

When you suffer from Depression for so long it is hard to believe in God or a 'high power', however if Ensam and Prayer work for me I will praise God and be his servant 'til the day I die! AMEN!

I'm not sure if you actually meant prayer to a High Power when you asked for prayers 'gray', but it was fate or a coincidence coming a day after my searching out of sheer desperation for a patron saint for depression, so I am going for it!

Please pray for me too! Your posting today was a gift to me! Yes, maybe even from God! I'm going out on a limb here...but I do so want to believe!

Please post often and I will contact you if OK for support, guidance if that is OK.

Sincere Thank's for you hopefully life changing post!

eve

It's been a while since I been on it but I don't remember getting hungry on it.

Hello Aron;

May I ask why you stopped taking it? I remembr reading it awhile back but it would be helpful if you hve time and would tell me what you think about Ensam from your experience.

BTW...I hve read that two people mentioned excess hunger so far. As far as weight gain...that remains to be seen, I guess.

eve

Dear grayycoyote;

This is music to my ears! After several false starts I believe Iwill actually get the Ensams patch Rx'd tomorrow. I so hope with all my heart that it works for me as it has for you! I would love to know everything about it. Do you mind sharing your diagnosis? Mine is Unipolar Depression (regular Depression) w/ some anxiety and severe insomnia.

How long after you started taking it did it begin to help you? The tons of energy really amazes me and I need that so much! So glad that it has been helping you for well over a year now! Congradulations on the weight loss! Are you now better able to get things done around the house and/or at work?

I am praying that Ensam continues to work for you 'greycoyote', as you have asked! I am so desperate for relief that yesterday I looked up the Patron Saints for Depression (this is not something i would ordinarily do, believe me) and on the list are 'Saint Chritina The Amazing' and 'Saint Michelina', among other's. I'm going to pray to both Saints to intercede for us graycoyote.

In all honesty, I must confess that I gave up prayer long ago, so it may take a while to get through, if indeed that is possible. However, I am going to start thinking it is possible right now b/c (if I remember correctly from long ago religious studies) it is all about you having FAITH that your prayer will be answered. I usually see things in a more scientific manner but amm now inviting spiritual back in!

When you suffer from Depression for so long it is hard to believe in God or a 'high power', however if Ensam and Prayer work for me I will praise God and be his servant 'til the day I die! AMEN!

I'm not sure if you actually meant prayer to a High Power when you asked for prayers 'gray', but it was fate or a coincidence coming a day after my searching out of sheer desperation for a patron saint for depression, so I am going for it!

Please pray for me too! Your posting today was a gift to me! Yes, maybe even from God! I'm going out on a limb here...but I do so want to believe!

Please post often and I will contact you if OK for support, guidance if that is OK.

eve

To Eve and Graycoyote: I just got the go-ahead that I can start Emsam tomorrow!! I swear I have been sinking deeper and deeper, losing hope, going

through withdrawal from Cymbalta--and then a welcome voice on the phone told me my bloodwork came back ok, and to put on a patch--yay!! :bump: I'd

like to be a part of this Emsam discussion, since Graycoyote was so kind and supportive when I asked some questions about Emsam a while ago. I'd almost given up on God or the power of the universe--that's what depression does. I guess I had to go through this to be totally convinced that, yes, I AM chronically depressed. So now I am back praying again that the Emsam will be the answer... I think it's really important to let people know how we're doing on Emsam, getting into details and stuff. I'm hoping it'll all be good news.

I do have a question: does Emsam seem to kick in pretty quickly, or will I feel like this for a while longer? When will my head stop feeling fuzzy and clogged up? Does the Emsam make you feel more clear-headed? (Oh, that's two + questions--oh, well). :hearts:

I stopped taking it because like most other meds I did not get much benifit from it. Also the patches got annoying for me.

It's been a while since I been on it but I don't remember getting hungry on it.

Hello Aron;

May I ask why you stopped taking it? I remembr reading it awhile back but it would be helpful if you hve time and would tell me what you think about Ensam from your experience.

BTW...I hve read that two people mentioned excess hunger so far. As far as weight gain...that remains to be seen, I guess.

eve

Leslie, Graycoyote & All;

So glad you are here and want to join in this discussion. Yes Leslie; I agree with you re/ a detailed dialogue being necessary and will contribute as much as I can. I really hope you get some much needed relief soon. W/D-ing from Cymbalta is so hard, and I really feel for you Leslie. I did it to try this patch too. Cymbalta did nothing for me at all. No relief except for a very mild placebo effect on day 3 that lasted for an hour or two, which gave me false hope that finally an AD med would work. Had such a hard time finding a Dr that was familiar w/ Emsam & would prescribe it AND take my insurance...so a few months have passed since my last AD's.

My appt was yesterday, however the Dr didn't show up!!! No one even called me to cancel. Seem's like the Dr decided to get an early start on the holiday weekend, according to staff. While that would have been disappointing as I have waited for this appt (the first appt was only to take history, etc), it would have been OK and I would understood if only they would have called me to cancel. Or even just apologised to me when I was there, for not calling...but it's a day later and still no call or return of my calls from yesterday and today.

BTW...My appt was in the afternoon so staff had all morning to cancel me as the receptionist said the doctor called in early AM & said would not be coming in. Staff told me the Dr is supposed to cancel & reschedule appts when I tried to make another appt. They gave me no support or understanding other than shirking their shoulders. I felt sorry for them too. At least one other patient was sent home while I was there. As desperately depressed as I am, all I could do was sit in the waiting room in tears. I hoped to start the patch yesterday...now can't even make a new appt 'til next week when the Dr is back, this according to the receptionist.

(I actually prayed for my appt to go well & Ensam to work as per my previous post!!!)

It's not hard to see why people suicide, is it???

I have no choice but to wait as I am not ******* myself until every last AD med is tried (and Ensami s the last of the AD'sfor me). Hopefully you'll allow me to live vicariously through you until I can get another appt Leslie and Graycoyote! After which I will be able to get an Rx & add my firsthand experience's on Emsam to this discussion too, and believe me...I will!

Honestly...you both just may be saving my life, I am so down. Leslie, please post your first reactions to the patch and if you are able to fall asleep at night, etc. Are you taking anything else with it? I so hope it work's fast for you!

'Graycoyote' is such an inspiration. To be able to post as 'gray' has that she/he 'feels very good most of the time' would be such a blessing! I can't even imagine it. Oh...and to have energy to get things accomplished, too! I do hope this work's for us Leslie!

Sadly, for Aron it didn't work...So sorry Aron. That's a very real outcome for me too as no other AD's have worked. None have ever made me feel 'very good'...not even for a minute...ever! Aron...what are you taking now and has it helped you? I sure hope you are not suffering.

Please post and feel free to PM or IM me.

Thank You in advance! Eve

Leslie, Graycoyote & All;

So glad you are here and want to join in this discussion. Yes Leslie; I agree with you re/ a detailed dialogue being necessary and will contribute as much as I can. I really hope you get some much needed relief soon. W/D-ing from Cymbalta is so hard, and I really feel for you Leslie. I did it to try this patch too. Cymbalta did nothing for me at all. No relief except for a very mild placebo effect on day 3 that lasted for an hour or two, which gave me false hope that finally an AD med would work. Had such a hard time finding a Dr that was familiar w/ Emsam & would prescribe it AND take my insurance...so a few months have passed since my last AD's.

My appt was yesterday, however the Dr didn't show up!!! No one even called me to cancel. Seem's like the Dr decided to get an early start on the holiday weekend, according to staff. While that would have been disappointing as I have waited for this appt (the first appt was only to take history, etc), it would have been OK and I would understood if only they would have called me to cancel. Or even just apologised to me when I was there, for not calling...but it's a day later and still no call or return of my calls from yesterday and today.

BTW...My appt was in the afternoon so staff had all morning to cancel me as the receptionist said the doctor called in early AM & said would not be coming in. Staff told me the Dr is supposed to cancel & reschedule appts when I tried to make another appt. They gave me no support or understanding other than shirking their shoulders. I felt sorry for them too. At least one other patient was sent home while I was there. As desperately depressed as I am, all I could do was sit in the waiting room in tears. I hoped to start the patch yesterday...now can't even make a new appt 'til next week when the Dr is back, this according to the receptionist.

(I actually prayed for my appt to go well & Ensam to work as per my previous post!!!)

It's not hard to see why people suicide, is it???

I have no choice but to wait as I am not ******* myself until every last AD med is tried (and Ensami s the last of the AD'sfor me). Hopefully you'll allow me to live vicariously through you until I can get another appt Leslie and Graycoyote! After which I will be able to get an Rx & add my firsthand experience's on Emsam to this discussion too, and believe me...I will!

Honestly...you both just may be saving my life, I am so down. Leslie, please post your first reactions to the patch and if you are able to fall asleep at night, etc. Are you taking anything else with it? I so hope it work's fast for you!

'Graycoyote' is such an inspiration. To be able to post as 'gray' has that she/he 'feels very good most of the time' would be such a blessing! I can't even imagine it. Oh...and to have energy to get things accomplished, too! I do hope this work's for us Leslie!

Sadly, for Aron it didn't work...So sorry Aron. That's a very real outcome for me too as no other AD's have worked. None have ever made me feel 'very good'...not even for a minute...ever! Aron...what are you taking now and has it helped you? I sure hope you are not suffering.

Please post and feel free to PM or IM me.

Thank You in advance! Eve

Hi, Eve--I was so relieved that you wrote back! It's 1:30 in the morning, and I have the patch on (since 6:00 this morning)--I wish I could say I'm instantly feeling better, but I've had trouble keeping the patch stuck, and I'm struggling with total despair right now. For a brief moment today I thought I might be coming out of my depression, but no...the weather is beastly hot all of a sudden, and tonight I can't sleep, and I keep crying, so obviously nothing's happening yet. I'm worried that this patch thing isn't going to work if it doesn't stick--I need to ask my pdoc why it's only available in patch form.

I was so furious at your doctor for blowing you off--those people should be shot for being so insensitive. I would have been crying my guts out in your situation. I am having such dark thoughts, and I feel like you do: if this doesn't work, then what? I can't live the rest of my life like this--I can see no light at the end of the tunnel right now, and besides that, I feel such shame about being "defective" this way. I've been depressed before, but never like this. This sucks big time. Being in withdrawal makes it doubly miserable.

I hate to be a downer for you--I know you're hoping I can give the Emsam a good report... My husband says give it time, but my thoughts are so negative that I feel like I don't want to waste one more day being like this... I will say, though, that yesterday I forced myself to go for a long walk in a beautiful park near where I live--I walked for almost an hour, and miraculously I felt so much better. I think it was the endorphins. So don't give up yet--go for a walk! Today I had to work all day, so I hit a low again. Guess we just have to keep walking...

Please don't give up--my therapist says there IS help out there for us. I ask you, though: what is the lesson in this? Or is there one?

I'll keep writing--and thanks again for responding--maybe we just might save each other's lives!

Leslie

Dear grayycoyote;

eve

Hi

I'm glad to tell you that Emsam started to work within just a couple of days for me. I had to be hospitalized while coming off the cymbalta. I didn't do very well not taking anything. The doctor wanted me to go 2 weeks before going on the emsam patch. I was having such a time with severe depression even with the cymbalta that emsam wasn't for sell in Feb of 06 but the doctor was able to get some shipped in before it went on the market. I go to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Ga. My doctor is the chair of pschy. so he was able to pull some strings.

I had had a bad high blood pressure problem with Parnate which is a MAOI , so the hospital required me to walk the hall several times to get at least a mile in an they would monitor my blood pressure during and after. Just incase the Emsam caused me any problems. When I was released from the hospital I continued to walk. I just kept at it-- like I hadn't wanted to do anything for the last 12 years. I suddenly had energy and the desire to accomplish and finish lots of things.

I know prayer works. In the Bible one time Jesus was walking on the water( the disciples where in a boat in a storm) and Peter asked if he could come to him. Peter was the only disciple to get out of the boat. That took lots of courage. It takes courage to try new drugs when the old ones work for a little while and then seem to quit. Keep praying, don't give up.

You asked about my diagnosis --I have chronic solvent encephalapathy ( electical cleaner got to my brain) and chronic severe depression, and anxiety. I was diagnosed at Emory University in Atlanta and also Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville, TN. Back in 1993 and 94. I had never had depression before, boy have I had a lesson.

Remember GOD is GOOD, HE NEVER FAILS[/b]