Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
oakwily11

Vortioxetine (Trintellix, Brintellix) Posts

Recommended Posts

I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder with depression. Like everyone else, I've been on pretty much everything that's out there. I started Trintellix 2.5 weeks ago. The first couple of days, I had a good feeling, like this was the one. I had no side effects...none of the stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting. But as I closed in on the 2 week mark, my anxiety started getting worse. And nonstop. Now I'm debating whether I should stay on it and hope the anxiety goes away or go back to my effexor (which helps the most, but with side effects). Any thoughts on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there. Been on Trintellix about 3 weeks now. Looking for comments from anyone else?

So far the big negative for me is getting an allergic reaction like hives. I take an Allegra and it fends it off. I want to give this is try for at least a month or two. I'm on 5mg and we are talking about going to 10mg as long as the allergic reaction doesn't increase. Otherwise I go off it.

I am not getting nausea or diarrhea or other lower GI / stomach issues that seem to be common. I am getting a bit of a headache now after two weeks that I attribute to this med. It's tolerable. So far no sexual side effects at all. No weird dreams or problems sleeping. I tried Viibryd before so I know about the torn up stomach, failure to orgasm, and crazy dreams.

The depression and anxiety levels have improved a fair bit even on an initial dose. I'm also very sensitive to meds so we use very low doses. I seem to be getting upset/angry enough that I'm questioning the value of less depression but more angry. 

I was taking low dose of Lamotrigine and that works ok but not great. Upping the dose just made me want to go to sleep. Same problem I had with Zoloft, Prozac, Can't take those. Trying Trintellix because it is supposed to be more "awakening" and not drowsy. So far that is true for me. I also stopped taking Trazadone at bedtime since I sleep about the same without it now.

This drug feels similar to Viibryd but a lightweight variation that improves on the side effects you get with Viibryd. 

 

Edited by Natasha1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trintellix has worked miracles for me. I have tried over 20+ depression medications and this is the first to do anything. I'm not "cured", but have seen a noticeable improvement in mood as well as anxiety. I am currently on 15mg. I started at 5mg for a good 2-3 weeks, then 10mg for 3 weeks, now I am at 15mg. I have been on Trintellix since the end of September. I do experience the nausea, so I take it at bedtime and sleep through it essentially. It can be more awakening, but not incredibly so. I do take clonidine (a typical blood pressure lowering drug) at night to help me settle my anxiety a bit more. I wish you the best of luck with this medication, it has helped me and hope it works out for you too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started Trintellix one week ago today. The doc sent me straight from Celexa 40mg to Trintellix 20 mg. I have felt no withdrawal from celexa. I also take 300 mg Wellbutrin which I've been on for over 2 years. The Celexa had stopped working as well and the Wellbutrin never did enough all on its own but without it the sexual side effects and somnalism of Celexa was too much.

The 2nd day on Trintellix I started feeling nauseated. Really unpleasant. It's mostly better now. The 5th day I started itching. It was mainly on my feet and legs. I wondered if I been bitten by chiggers or something but there are no bumps. I already take Zyrtec for allergies so I think that helps. The itching  was pretty bad for 2 days but today it's coming and going.

I am noticing a difference already in my mood and energy. Before I would barely move from the couch unless I really had to. Today I did a lot of housecleaning. I feel like I've a few cups of coffee but I only drank my usual one this morning.  No jitters, just a little "up" feeling if you know what I mean. I'm liking it so far. Just hope the nausea and itching go away completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched from Cymbalta to Trintellix recently. Because I have a hard time tolerating meds, my pdoc had me stay at 5mg for two weeks, which I tolerated really well.  She just upped that to 10 mg a few days ago.

Since the dosage increased, I've been quick to tears, had a lot of mood swings, and been more irritable. (I have been irritable from SAD lately, so I can't say for sure what's to blame for the uptick there.)

Has anyone else had similar experiences starting/going up on Trintellix?  I am hopeful about this med in general and want to be patient with this phase. Hopefully it is just a phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2016 at 5:18 PM, Knursingstudent said:

Trintellix has worked miracles for me. I have tried over 20+ depression medications and this is the first to do anything. I'm not "cured", but have seen a noticeable improvement in mood as well as anxiety. I am currently on 15mg. I started at 5mg for a good 2-3 weeks, then 10mg for 3 weeks, now I am at 15mg. I have been on Trintellix since the end of September. I do experience the nausea, so I take it at bedtime and sleep through it essentially. It can be more awakening, but not incredibly so.

I'm glad to hear that. I was only taking 5mg and getting a good result, except the damned hives! Ugghhh... It seems that, for me, turning off depression also results in emotional numbing. So my partner told me that for as much as my mood was better I was also less concerned about much of anything. So it's good and bad. If I could remove the hives I'd learn how to adjust to the other as the positives for this med was better than any I have taken so far. 

You and most others who take it have stomach issues. Hopefully you can sleep through it. I tried it at night and it didn't last all day. So I'd rather a drug wear off while I'm sleeping. Considering how sensitive my stomach is I'm surprised it had no affect. I tried Vibryd and it's like a higher dose version of this drug but kills my stomach and intestines. 

My doc decided that the hives/rash is not so good and has moved me to Wellbutrin on a low dose. Going old school. If this doesn't work I'm going back to Trintellix. I'm getting an appointment with an allergy specialist. We think it is the buffers used in the pill and not the drug itself. So if I can get my allergic reaction to things down then maybe it would be ok. So far the Wellbutrin is blah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2016 at 8:38 PM, Stormy13 said:

I just started Trintellix one week ago today. The doc sent me straight from Celexa 40mg to Trintellix 20 mg. I have felt no withdrawal from celexa. I also take 300 mg Wellbutrin which I've been on for over 2 years. The Celexa had stopped working as well and the Wellbutrin never did enough all on its own but without it the sexual side effects and somnalism of Celexa was too much.

The 2nd day on Trintellix I started feeling nauseated. Really unpleasant. It's mostly better now. The 5th day I started itching. It was mainly on my feet and legs. I wondered if I been bitten by chiggers or something but there are no bumps. I already take Zyrtec for allergies so I think that helps. The itching  was pretty bad for 2 days but today it's coming and going.

I am noticing a difference already in my mood and energy. Before I would barely move from the couch unless I really had to. Today I did a lot of housecleaning. I feel like I've a few cups of coffee but I only drank my usual one this morning.  No jitters, just a little "up" feeling if you know what I mean. I'm liking it so far. Just hope the nausea and itching go away completely.

I went from Lamotrigine to Trintellix quickly and never felt a backlash. The Lamotrigine made me lazy and lost it's affect after a year.

The itching, as I noted in my other response to Knurseingstudent, is a pain in the behind.... I have allergy issues, more so to chemical things than outdoor pollens. For example I can only wash my clothes in All free and clear and dryer sheets can't have perfumes. I itch like crazy if not. Certain colognes will make me itch, others I'm fine and I smell good for my gal ;-) I hope you can get over the itching. I took Allegra and Zyrtec to fend off the itching and it helps but I don't want to take antihistamines daily if I can avoid it. For me it was also my scalp and forehead started drying out and becoming raw. My feet were also drying out very fast. I couldn't keep my head from itching and getting raw no matter what shampoo or creams I tried. Which really sucks. 

As for energy. It does help and for me has no interference with sleeping. I wake up in the middle of the night a fair bit but I always have. You could actually go without coffee and you'll still be perked up, so to speak. I drink it anyway because I love me some java :-) 

Now on Wellbutrin as a test. Trying old school. Compared to Trintellix it ain't that good. And the popular side effect of increased libido and all that. Not for me, it's chickening it. Trintellix, no problem. Not bad for depression but not great. Best thing is I actually don't feel like I'm taking drugs when I take it. Just doesn't feel like it like the others I've tried that have a very noticeable affect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had much time to review much of the above yet, but just started 10mg Brintellix 2 days ago (to augment 20mg prozac) and currently others include Adderall (reducing does from my free-basing energy of the last 10 days), Klonopin at night, and sometimes Ambien.  All in all--and life circumstances aside--it's not a bad cocktail.

I read that Trintellix/Brintellix is supposed to be 'immediately acting'.  Well that would be special.  I'll plan to check back here later when I have more to say.

Love and well wishes to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gandolfication any updates on the Brintellix?

I just started Trintillex 10 mg a few hours ago, took it after a meal and with a Phenergan (just to be safe).  So far so good!  I will update everyone as symptoms come along, I'm hoping they are few and far between.

Grace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, maxedgrace said:

@gandolfication any updates on the Brintellix?

I just started Trintillex 10 mg a few hours ago, took it after a meal and with a Phenergan (just to be safe).  So far so good!  I will update everyone as symptoms come along, I'm hoping they are few and far between.

Grace

I guess it is fine so far for me.  I wish I had more to say, but I don't think I really can.

About 3-4 weeks ago now, I added 10mg of Trintillex at the same time, I've been tapering off prozac at 20 mg every other day.  Met with psych yesterday, and I think I'll be stopping prozac - because even on a low occasional dose of adderall, it's too much of a stimulant.

So, I may not really know for a while, but I have felt better, just most noticeably and obviously because the adderall during this period (which started at 10 mg 2x/day) definitely helped get me out of deep depressive behavior (basically not wanting and often not getting out of bed for 2 weeks) and jump starting my productivity while I was still working, in a major and dramatic way.  It was great, even if I probably did overdue it a little.

I'll write again about this when I think and feel I can say more about Brintellix....just don't know now; I guess I can say I don't think it has added any negative side effects, so at least not a net negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started several days ago. Trying to get off the benzos. So far mild itching has been a minor issue and odd dreams. The thing that concerns me is that I have high blood pressure and have struggled with it recently despite being on metoprolol. And this drug (10 mg) seems to amp me up. Wellbutrin, something I tried years ago, was a no go because it amped me up to much. This feels a bit like that and I'm wondering about my family practice doc prescribing this knowing about the high BP. But he seems to prescribe this drug a lot so I'll trust him. For now. Already feeling better and my social anxiety has abated already after only a short time. Only time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the dreams are pretty intense, very vivid.  So far no itching for me.  I should be taking allergy meds just in case, plus I need allergy meds anyway as it is.

I don't know anything about the blood pressure.  I do know that I was not necessarily amped up, but very euphoric and awake today.  I eventually got tired though and took a good nap.

Here's to good days ahead for all of us.  (clinks imaginary glass full of soda)

Grace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an abrupt and massive hive/rash reaction on day 10. Very bummed that I can't continue as it was working well but the skin reaction was too intense and it's gotten worse over almost three days after stopping. I'm one of those Google pics you never want to be. The guy with a massive rash over nearly the entire body.  Two steroid shots and 60mg >>>>30 mg of prednisone over 15 days and hopefully there will be a good landing. Have to see doc again in a few days to ensure this thing gets under control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was suggested to use this med from my former psychiatrist, whom I didn't trust, but opted out due to the lack of formidable research studies, etc regarding this new med. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discovered that this drug stays in the system a good long time. After a week the eruptions have abated but I'm now hesitant to try another ssri. Seems like I'm allergic to them all and the next skin reaction will be bad. I think this is a good drug for those who are compatible but unfortunately not me. Looking at Abilify, Lamictal or Anafranil as possible non ssri alternatives. Will float it past my doc when I see him next week.  He gave me Viibryl to replace Trintellix but I fear I will have the same outcome and if it's a drug eruption it will be worse. Allergy testing?  Genetic? I would like one to be on on an anti depressants since they do help but not at the price of severe reactions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trintellix is my miracle medication. Truly.

I have been on like 23+ medications, and none of them have worked like Trintellix. I take 20mg - the max allowable dosage.

A side of Trazadone for sleep and Seroquel (as needed) for intrusive thoughts/anxiety/sleep issues are also very helpful for me.

I mostly feel like Trintellix turns everything "down" for me -- I feel things less intensely -- am able to observe my feelings without being overwhelmed by them.

When traumatic situations arise, I do still feel and can get overwhelmed though. As I am discovering now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, toomanycats said:

Trintellix is my miracle medication. Truly.

I have been on like 23+ medications, and none of them have worked like Trintellix. I take 20mg - the max allowable dosage.

A side of Trazadone for sleep and Seroquel (as needed) for intrusive thoughts/anxiety/sleep issues are also very helpful for me.

I mostly feel like Trintellix turns everything "down" for me -- I feel things less intensely -- am able to observe my feelings without being overwhelmed by them.

When traumatic situations arise, I do still feel and can get overwhelmed though. As I am discovering now.

Hm.  That's good to hear.

I've been on Trintellix for about 2 months now.  All from free samples while underemployed.  It seems fine - I guess it's been helping because perhaps otherwise I'd be more of a basketcase? I don't know, I can never tell except when something definitely isn't working, so I guess sort of no news is good news.  I don't notice side effects (not sure if weight gain is one). My concern is what happens when the samples run out.  I know it is expensive.

I also started taking Trazadone for sleep about a week ago.  Works pretty well, maybe leaves me a little groggy in the morning, but I can't say it is net worse than otherwise, and I'd likely have slept less otherwise, which would affect me throughout the day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I didn't have such a bad skin reaction because I thought it was the best SSRI I tried and I've tried just about all. But I'm allergic to anything that affects serotonin apparently as I lasted only 5 days on lithium. Had to quit yesterday. Very depressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Beeker said:

Wish I didn't have such a bad skin reaction because I thought it was the best SSRI I tried and I've tried just about all. But I'm allergic to anything that affects serotonin apparently as I lasted only 5 days on lithium. Had to quit yesterday. Very depressing. 

Oh that's too bad, I'm sorry.

an allergy to serotonin medications?  That's wild.

I was on lithium for years, but pretty much think it was and is worthless for me.  And truthfully (and I am limiting this to myself personally), I came to know myself and my depression well enough to realize that it wasn't doing anything for me.  Perhaps I have had some hypomanic episodes and occasionally this complicates my work and life, but lithium only added a mild feeling of being washed out, some weight gain, needing to watch my liver (or is it kidneys?), etc.  I knew for sure that taking lithium wasn't going to have any impact one way or the other on whether I ever decided to go through with a plan for sui*ide or not.  It just wasn't.  Mine is more circumstantial, and also impulsive (which it generally is actually).  Anyhow, I'm sorry you have had to quit something that sounds like it was helping you.

These things are so strange how differently we respond to varying medications.  I hope you find something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some Viibryd samples that I'll try just for the heck of it. Gotta inform doc first. Lithium lasted just 5 days for me so I can't judge it. Was enough time to develop acne though. Just a little bit. And a crispy, crunchy skin feeling. I know that sounds weird but it fits how I felt. Another idea about the allergy is the possibility  that there is something common in the binding or filler of SSRI drugs that I'm allergic to.  Dunno.  I'm going to suggest fish oil to my doc. It does relieve mild depression but the uptake time is several weeks and puts a hit on the bad cholesterol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beeker said:

I have some Viibryd samples that I'll try just for the heck of it. Gotta inform doc first. Lithium lasted just 5 days for me so I can't judge it. Was enough time to develop acne though. Just a little bit. And a crispy, crunchy skin feeling. I know that sounds weird but it fits how I felt. Another idea about the allergy is the possibility  that there is something common in the binding or filler of SSRI drugs that I'm allergic to.  Dunno.  I'm going to suggest fish oil to my doc. It does relieve mild depression but the uptake time is several weeks and puts a hit on the bad cholesterol. 

Fish oil?

I used to take that on and off - I thought it was just supposed to be healthy for the heart/circulatory system?  It's bad for cholesterol?  Hm, well what's bad for my cholesterol is all the junk food I eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been several years but I remember something went south with cholesterol. Think it was LDL. But google fish oil and depression. I was taking one tablespoon of fish oil daily to improve my HDL and noticed my mood had changed for the better after several weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beeker said:

It's been several years but I remember something went south with cholesterol. Think it was LDL. But google fish oil and depression. I was taking one tablespoon of fish oil daily to improve my HDL and noticed my mood had changed for the better after several weeks. 

Yah, I've had several docs recommend fish oil in relation to depression - I wasn't ever sure what it was supposed to do, but it didn't do for me anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. It's kinda weird for me as I never heard of that effect at the time. I know it improved my mood since I researched it without any prior knowledge but only the experience from taking it for several weeks.  It did take quite a long time and I doesn't work as well as ssris IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started on 5mg of Trintellix today, cutting right over from 20mg of Prozac. No titrating. Switching because of sexual dysfunction. Haven't really noticed any difference so far, which is good. Kinda feel antsy a bit like I want to crawl out of my skin but that could just be my usual M.O. No nausea really from what I can tell. But it's only day 1 and I'm starting so low it may be a while before I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...