Sign in to follow this  
oakwily11

Vortioxetine (Trintellix, Brintellix) Posts

Well I'm sorry to report that I feel like crap and each day just seems to feel worse. I rang my psych a couple of days ago to ask if I can be put up to 20mg a day but he wants me to tough it out another week. Right now, the way I'm feeling, it looks like I'll be through with Brintellix by then.

I still feel very down, no energy, I can't seem to enjoy anything and I'm just tired all the time. I think this drug is doing nothing for me. I'm going to go back to adding Effexor tomorrow to it and see if it takes the edge off. I realise you are not supposed to mix anti depressants but I'm hoping this will help me stay on Brintellix for a while. If I feel like I'm back to my ususal 'normal' self then I'll withdraw the Effexor. If I feel like crap then it's pretty fair to say that the Brintellix just doesn't work for me. I'm sorry that I didn't have a happy story for people about Brintellix for everyone but don't let my experience dictate what this drug may do for you. Wishing everyone the best.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear this, Browndog. I know how frustrated and hopeless u must feel. IMO, I wouldn't add the Effexor unless ur doc says to. I'm not a fan of self medicating. I'm still doing good with my combo of 10 mg Brintellix, 15mg Deplin and 10 mg Adderall 2x day, but always seem to worry when it will have to be increased or no longer be effective. I really feel like being misdiagnosed as bi polar and taking the wrong meds/treatments for so long caused my illness to be 10x worse. I must say the Brintellix began working for me within a few days of taking it.

I also believe that anyone who is getting relief from their depression meds but still lacks energy, should talk to their doc about adding Deplin and/or Adderall. I have ADD not ADHD.

Before I was put on this trio of meds, I had been researching Ketamine Infusion Therapy and was thinking of trying it and will try it if I max out on my current meds and become no longer effective. My doc told me there has been a lot of positive feedback about Ketamine in treating depression.

It has been used for a few years but is not FDA approved for depression yet. The main reason has to do with the politics of money and pharmaceutical companies not wanting to lose any profits. Ketamine is used mainly by anesthesiologist to put patients under during surgery. It is also known as a "party drug" or called "horse tranquilizers" back in the day. The drug itself is very cheap and has been around for decades. There are a few doctors, mainly anesthesiologists or psychiatrists, in a few states that offer this IV or pill form treatment for depression in private clinics (since it is not FDA approved for depression). It is expensive and the price per treatment varies in each state/doctor that offers it. I have read that insurance does not cover it, but also have read where some insurance providers did cover or partially cover the costs, so you would need to contact your insurance provider to confirm if they do. I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who might be interested in researching it for themselves.

Browndog, I've been on Brintellix for about 34 days, 10mg for a month and 20mg for 4 days. I can say for certain that I feel better on Brintellix than to be on nothing but I did feel much better on Cymbalta. Unfortunately Cymbalta made me very anxious and destroyed my libido. Brintellix only makes me nauseated and kills my appetite, but only for a few days after starting or increasing doses. Other than that, no side effects from the Brintellix. 

Like you said, there is no magic bullet, but even a slight bit of improvement is better than nothing at all. 

Thanks GiGiLynn and Mavagio.:-)

Yes I have read up on Ketamine and it is also known as a street drug here as 'Special K' but I have read about it's clinical benefits in depression.

I added 150mg of Effexor to the 15mg of Brintellix three days ago and I think I'll go back to Effexor and cut out the Brintellix.

I know I'm only on 15mg and not up to 20mg of Brintellix yet but my psych wants me to wait before upping me to 20mg and then wait a month to see if it 'kick's in at 20mg. I realise all anti depressants work differently but I've never been on one that has taken this long to take affect. Usually when they don'pt work at all for me I've tried them at the highest dose for up to three plus months. I figure if Brintellix is doing nothing now then it's unlikely to do something in a month's time. My depression has been getting worse, not better since starting Brintellix.

It was great having my sex drive back but my depression is getting worse, I'm not eating and I haven't been able to go to work for the past few days and I just want to avoid people. I can't see myself continuing on like this and from what I've read about people on Brintellix, most people who benefit seem to get a positive response within the first few weeks.

Anyway I wish everyone the best with whatever they are taking and thank you all for your support.

Cheers.

hi everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on my situation.

I have been on 10mg of Brintellix for 2 weeks....during these past 2 weeks I have noticed that I have no appetite, nausea, feel very tired, but it has helped my anxiety a lot!

Has anyone noticed any muscle spasms? or itchiness on this medicine? Wouldn't it have started in the beginning? Why now? After 2 weeks?

Well I stopped the Brintellix today and I have upped the Effexor to 300mg. I have no headaches or dizziness and I'm less sluggish this morning (though I won't know how better my mornings are until the Brintellix is out of my system). Thanks for your support everyone and the kind words Mavigo and GiGiLynn. I agree that a little help is better than none but if the Effexor has a stronger impact on my depression then it's worth the sacrifice of the side effects.

I've read of another poster and she is taking 300mg of Effexor and 10-15mg of Brintellix which was temtping for me to try but I'll stay with Effexor for now. I guess I'm more annoyed at my shrink for stating what a wonder drug this 'Brintellix' is. From reading many comments on a few forums it's definitely not for everyone. It had a great side effect profile (no sexual dysfunction) but that was about it for me.

ladysmurf it may have taken two weeks for the drug to fully get into your system which perhaps may be why you are experiencing the drugs histamine properties???? See you doc for an antihistamine or it may even pass with time. The fact that this drug has helped your anxiety a lot after only two weeks is very promising. Good luck everyone!

Cheers.

Hey all,

apparently the side effects I was experience was because my pharmacy failed to tell me that they switched the concerta generic they were using and I am very sensitive to ANY changes...

The first 2 weeks were hell, the anxiety seemed a little better, but the past 2 days I was having more energy than usual, however, last night I woke up with a SEVERE panic attack and I had to take a sedative to calm down because I was crying like a little baby. I am supposed to start school today, and I work part-time I don't know how I will do this. I e-mailed my doctor and I am waiting for his reply.  Unfortunately, I read that someone else had a similar experience to mine. They started taking Brintellix and they had major anxiety and panic attacks that they did not have before, so they had to quit the medication. I really hope this is not the case for me. I don't know what else to take anymore. Nothing seems to work, and I am so sensitive to medications. I feel bad for my family, and friends (whatever I have left of them anyway) because they have to watch me fall apart all the time :(

Well I gave up on Brintellix because after 4 weeks on 5mg..........my anxiety was getting worse, I had ringing in my ears, I was tired easily, and I started feeling depressed, suicidal, and had very strange scary dreams.

I stopped taking it and will wait to see my doctor to see what he says when I see him this week. No high hopes anymore, since I have tried everything, and nothing seems to work.

Browndog, I am taking 300mg of Effexor and 20mg of Brintellix, plus 50mg serequel. I see the doc this week and hopefully I will be off the serequel. This combo seems to work for me.

Thanks Smcine,

Anyone else on Brintellix with an SSRI (or SNRI combination).  I've been wanting to add Lexapro back to the mix.  The Brintellix alone has minimal effects.  

Does anyone know how long this takes to get out of your system?

I read online that it can take up to 2 weeks for it to get out of your system.........

thanks!

I suffer from depression and social anxiety. I have been taking 10mg of brintellix for almost five weeks. Only a slight improvement with my depression but I am having less anxiety and no recent panic attacks. The only side effects are problems falling asleep and excessive sweating. See my pdoc in about two weeks. Hopefully a higher dosage will be more effective. I have taken so many meds and none of them have help. Feeling like nothing is going to help me. I also am taking geodon and klonopin.

Saw my doctor the other day and he said there are some state of the art depression medicines coming out, this being one of them.  According to him it is new.  However I he did not give history on those that have taken it.  He does not feel Wellbutrin XL is doing the trick as I have been very depressed as of late.  So he wants to wean me off Wellbutrin XL down to 150mg for a week and begin taking Brintellix.

Just wondered if any members are on or heard of this medication.  And if taking it, how you are tolerating it and is it working?

Thanks a bunch.

Hey HA! ( your nickname seems to have created a quite interesting greeting :))

I've been on 10mg Brintellix since May last year. No side effects i think...maybe i'm a little more nauseous but SE are not as bad as with other antidepressants. I don't feel better either but i react strange to all meds. If you want to know more about experiences with Brintellix, there's a website askapatient.com ...maybe you've heard about it.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  It helps to hear first hand by members who have taken this medication to know what to expect..

I guess it is worth a try.  Wellbutrin XL 300mg seems to keep me in balance, but lately I have felt myself slipping more and more into a depression slump.  Just have to see I guess, but I hate the uncertainty about starting new meds, side effects and all.

ive been on brintellix for about 3 months, along with vyvanse, and doing well on this combo.

My doc has been talking about replacing adderall with vyanse. I'm also on Brintellix. Sounds like it's worth a shot. 

Brintellix has been alright for me. I mean I could feel less depressed but compared to how I felt before on other medications, I'll stick with this. However, it does the trick for my anxiety, which has greatly dissipated. Also, the side effects of Brintellix for me are close to nil. 

Well its been seven months since starting Brintellix. For me, Brintellix has significantly curbed my anxiety. Depression not so much. I now take Adderall along with Depakote. My psychiatrist wants me to return to therapy, his references though. Don't really want to, would rather just trial and error another antidepressant, though I like Brintellix for its minimal side effects. 

Hello Friends - 
I need your advice.  I have Lyme disease and I'm currently battling bone-crushing fatigue and other symptoms associated with the illness as I am treating it.  I am also suffering from major depression and anxiety.  My doctor prescribed Brintellix 3 weeks ago.  I started with 5mg for 1 week, then 10mg for the 2nd week and 15mg for the 3rd week. I'm at the end of my 3rd week since starting it Brintellix and I am soooooo fatigued.  I mean, I have bone-crushing fatigue to begin with, but now I can't even wake up....it's like waking the dead.  I sleep 12 hours and it is still like waking the dead.  Then after breakfast, I have to lay down again and I sleep for another 3 hours, dead to the world.  I tried taking my medication at night, but that doesn't seem to help it either.  

How long should I wait it out to see if this zombie-like sleepiness goes away?  I have tried Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and they have done the same thing to me.  :(   Any suggestions??   Are there any anti-depressants that are considered less sedating? Thank you so much!!

Edited by Monchichi

I jumped from Zoloft to Brintellix 12 days ago.  I have not had the type of fatigue you are speaking of.  From my experience, Effexor is definitely more of a revved-up AD but it has lots of not so great side effects.  It takes awhile for your body to adjust to a med.  Not fun because you want to feel better asap.  Years ago a therapist told me to be kind to yourself during this transition. Rest as much as needed, stay home, etc. (of course, if possible)...  just kind of coddle yourself as you shift into another med.  I get impatient, so this is not easy to do, but most of the time, it is worth the wait and relief arrives.  So far, the Brintellix is working immensely.  I respond quickly to a new AD, and this time was no exception.  The Zoloft just did not work anymore and I needed a booster to add to my Lamotrigine.

Wishing you better days.

AustB

OOPS

Wanted to correct my post and cannot figure out how to edit it.  I began Brintellix 9 days ago.  After visiting pdoc came home, had three horrible days of depression and decided to begin (yet again) an AD... Brintellix, an Rx she gave me months ago but was hesitant to begin.  I had been off Zoloft for about two weeks and just wanted to take the Lamotrigine but even though I chose to get off Zoloft (and felt it had fizzled out), I could totally tell the AD was missing.  The depression came back with a vengeance.  Anyways, especially this time of year (dead of winter) and heading into summer (a season I dread) I decided to give this AD a try.  Will keep ya posted.