Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
oakwily11

Vortioxetine (Trintellix, Brintellix) Posts

234 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

Hey everyone, looking for a little insight on the breakthrough new AD brintellix. Ive been trying to find any threads or posts from people who have tried it. If any one has had the honor of using it, please share your experience strength and hope. Be sure to include the good and bad! thanks

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Just started 10 mg of Brintellix per day on Feb 3rd. I am the first patient my Dr. prescribed this to. I have been through so many different anti-depressants over the past several years and so far nothing has seemed to work. I did some heavy research on this drug before I suggested it to my Dr. So far I am not noticing any side effects but I will keep everyone posted on my progress. i am also taking Vyvanse, Klonopin and Ambien(for sleep). All I can have are high hopes!

Posted · Report post  

Any updates? I am curious about this drug, but it is very expensive on my drug plan ($70/mo) and it doesn't work well with Wellbutrin (which I currently take as an add-on).

Posted · Report post  

I'm so sorry for the delay, everyone! I have been busy the past couple of weeks. But anyway, I have been on 10mg of Brintellix for about 3 weeks and I haven't had any side effects but it seems to have lifted my depression a bit; moreso that the other medications I have tried previously. Just FYI, I also take Klonopin(1mg 3 times a day); Vyvanse(70mg per day); and Ambien at night. So far I like Brintellix, I can feel it doing something. It is easier to get up in the morning without dreading the day. When I go back to my Dr in about a month, I am going to have her increase the dosage to 20mg per day. From what I have read, the big difference in effectiveness is when you go from 10mg to 20mg per day. The 20mg range is where you should notice a marked improvement. Oh, BTW, if you do get a prescription, ask your Dr. for the Brintellix Savings Card. I haven't used it yet since I am still on my free samples. I am not sure how much it will reduce the cost, but it is available. I will try and keep more up to date on my postings!

Posted · Report post  

very interesting particularly the no side effects part! im surprised theres no effects on libido, keep us updated :)

thanks a lot!

Posted (edited) · Report post  

This medication fascinates me and I would consider swapping out Wellbutrin to take this (alongside my Zoloft). Except I'm on a decent road to recovery and I can't afford non-generic meds. But I will definitely keep up with reports.

Edited by johncp727

Posted · Report post  

Well, I am still waiting on getting PRE-AUTHORIZATION so my insurance will cover it. They have to fax my dr. some paperwork and she has to fax it back to be "evaluated". This is frustrating...

Posted · Report post  

Well, I am still waiting on getting PRE-AUTHORIZATION so my insurance will cover it. They have to fax my dr. some paperwork and she has to fax it back to be "evaluated". This is frustrating...

My p-doc has plenty of samples of everything. I tried Pristiq (for which there's no generic) for a week and brand name Seroquel, though once I decided to stay on it I just got the generic and it works just the same.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I meant to post this in the Cymbalta forum.

i went to doc this afternoon. she said Teva wasn't a good brand and their Wellbutrin generic ended up getting pulled by FDA. She called in script for brand name Cymbalta but insurance rejected it since i just had generic filled. Have been on hold for over an hour now with Cigna insurance. Doc said not to take no for an answer.

Finally after being on hold, Cigna insurance will charge me $150 for one month supply of name brand and $450 for 3 month. it's like i have no insurance so i can't afford it. it used to just cost over $200 for 3 month mail in. I just took one now and i hope it helps cause I'm really stressed and jittery.

Plan is to get me on name brand to get me straightened out then try Dr. Reddy's generic as other patients have no problem with their generics.

Edited by rmp67r

Posted · Report post  

rmp67r,

I started out on the Teva generic (from Walgreens) and I am now on the Lupin generic (mail order from Caremark). The side effects of the generics are really intolerable. I tried to get back on the brand name, but Caremark wants $116 for a month or $250 for 3 months, which is more than double what I paid when there was no generic.

I talked to my pdoc on the phone about Brintellix, she hasn't prescribed it yet. I see her in two weeks, hopefully I can get on it. It's $77/mo from Caremark, but I will also have to stop taking Wellbutrin so there will be a little cost savings on that. And I need to get my hands on one of these savings cards. I'll just take the prescription to Walgreens and use the card there. Hopefully my pdoc will contact the rep for the drug in this area and get samples and cards.

I found an online form for the card, but it requires you to have been given the actual card by your psychiatrist so you can register it. Here is the link if anyone is curious:

https://us.brintellix.com/savingscard/

The savings is up to $30/mo for 6 months.

I am looking forward to trying this new medication out after hearing about all the issues with Viibryd and Fetzima. Viibryd is actually the new brand name preferred drug for my plan (replacing Cymbalta), and it would be $90/3mo for me. Cymbalta and Wellbutrin seem to have pooped out, I am at the maximum dosages and still experiencing depressive episodes. I have been on 120mg of Cymbalta for as long as I can remember, and I was on 300mg of Wellbutrin for a few years before my pdoc upped it to 450mg last year.

Posted · Report post  

Well, I took the leap and asked my doctor to put me on Brintellix 5mg. I immediately have to halve my Cymbalta dosage to 60mg, and in two weeks I cut my Wellbutrin down to 300mg.

My insurance cost is supposed to be $77. I called Takeda, and asked about the prescription savings card. The woman on the phone signed me up, and said it was for $100 off the prescription or the copay. The pharmacy had to order it, so Walgreens is not displaying the cost with insurance. They are showing the full price, which is $265 for 5mg for 30 days.

The representative gave me all the relavent information on the phone, so I will just have to take that to the pharmacy and have them run it like a secondary insurance. It has an id number, group number, rx bin, and pcn like the other discount cards. The woman read me some statements that I had to agree to/listen to - one is that you cannot be covered by any federal program like Medicaid, Medicare, or Tricare.

The post before this I referred to a savings card that offers $30/mo for 6 months. That is what I was expecting to be given, and was surprised when she said $100. It is a one time offer, so maybe I can get the $30 card as well.

They also have patient assistance for Brintellix. I did not choose that option, so I am not sure what they offer.

The phone number is 866-279-0287. I Googled that number and it gave me this page as a result:

https://us.brintellix.com/trial

I will do my best to report back and let you know how things are doing. The side effects from the generic Cymbalta have been decreasing, but not I have to prepare myself for the possibility of new side effects.

Posted · Report post  

Today was day one, the pharmacy had to order it for me so it took a few days. I took my full dosages of Cymbalta and Wellbutrin earlier in the morning - the prescription was still pending and I was concerned I wouldn't have any meds in me for the day. I took the Brintellix around 9:15am. No noticeable side effects or issues with the drug, but it is still early. I will begin tapering my Cymbalta tomorrow.

Posted · Report post  

Hi Everyone! It's nice to see this post started! Yesterday I was at my docs office and he wants me to try this medication. He gave me some trial samples, I haven't started them yet. Currently I take 10mg of Lexapro. It does OK, but we want to see if this might be a better fit. I will most likely start it this Friday. My doc said I could start on the 5mg with the Lexapro and see if there is any improvement at all and if there is we can start tapering the Lexapro.

Great to know there are some other folks out there starting this med as well!

Keeping my hopes up that this one will be better!

Posted · Report post  

Day 6. Feel better overall, not significantly, but enough to catch myself feeling better and in a better mood. Maybe it's just because the dosage is so small. Don't feel any side effects other than some blood rushing to the head if I stand up too quickly.

I still have to step down off the Wellbutrin, so we will see how that goes. Another week and I will drop from 450 to 300. But I can't go any higher on Brintellix until I get off of the Wellbutrin, the two don't work well together.

So far, so good. At least the generic Cymbalta side effects seem to have subsided.

Posted · Report post  

Ok, I have been on Brintellix for about a month at 10mg per day. When i filled my prescription, the cost for me was also $0 using the card. I am not sure if that is a one time only use or not. I feel a slightly improved mood and no noticable side effects. I go back to the Dr this monday and I am going to have her increase the dose from 10mg to 20mg per day so I will see what that does for me

Posted · Report post  

I am currently on Brintellix and here's my story:

My drug history is rather long, however, I have not been on any drugs for over 2 years. I started eating better(gluten/dairy free), exercising and taking supplements(aloe vera(highly recommend), vitamins, minerals) which has helped immensly but I still felt the blahs of depression and strong social/performance anxiety. So I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me in less than 5 minutes with mdd and anxiety.(still amazes me how these doctors spend so little time with patients and only give out drugs, I'm sure you all can agree)

In comes Brintellix:

I'm on day 2 of 10mg after 2 weeks on 5mg.

Side effects I have noticed: more sweating and reddening of face during exercise, slight stomach issues(constipation, bloating), occasional low intenstity headaches, cramping, drink lots of water, awaken a couple times a night.

It's too early to tell but I am very hopefull for this medicine as the side effects are not overwhelming and the depression seems to be dissipating slightly. I will continue with 10mg for a total of 2 weeks then up the dose to 20mg.

This drug is intended to be taken in the morning with a large meal as it does cause stomach issues which can be diminished if taken with food.

Posted · Report post  

I just went to the doctor yesterday and she upped my brintellix to 20mg per day. It was funny, she said the drug rep came a couple of times to see her(I go to the Dr. about every 8 weeks or so) and kept asking how I was doing on the drug(I am the only patient on it!). She said that in order to be prescribed the medication, you have had to have been on many other anti-depressants first before they will prescribe it(Mine had to be pre-authorized). Want to know how they got the name of the drug. The drug rep told her it was a combination of the words Brilliant and Intelligence(which I found amusing). I will report after a few weeks on 20mg per day.

Posted · Report post  

Hi Everyone! I decided to start my Brintellix today. Although I'm still taking 10mg of Lexapro. My doc said that I could take them both in low doses and if I started noticing an improvement with the Brintellix then we can start lowing the Lexapro. Anybody have any thoughts on that? I'm not quite sure how I feel. I've gone through switching meds before but I've always started tapering one too.

​Anyway, day 1... Hopefully this will work a little better.

Posted · Report post  

I have also been given some samples of this medicine to try out. I am currently on 100mg of Pristiq but really want to get off of it because it makes me sweat so bad. My psychiatrist suggested we try this medicine. I have suffered from depression for 7 years. I have tried Lexipro, Wellbutrin. Cymbalta and then Pristiq. Since I have started taking medicine I have constantly have that spaced out feeling. I have went back to college and feelng spaced out all the time makes it hard to do my work. I am praying that Brintellix will be a success for me! To get off Pristiq I will do one week of 50mg and then the next week of every other day of 50mg. After that I will start the new med. Hope to read some positive reports on this medicine!

Kelly

Posted · Report post  

It's day 4 on Brintellix. I haven't started tapering off my 10mg Lexapro yet but if I start feeling better this week then I most likely will cut it in 1/2 starting Friday. The first few days have been good on the Brintellix. I haven't really noticed any additional or new side effects. Some slight nausea but that's about it so far. This afternoon though I have been feeling kind of agitated, though I'm not quite sure why or at what. Last night I woke up around 1:30 in the morning and had a diffucult time falling back asleep. I'm taking a hiatus from drinking just to be safe and also just kind of a personal cleanse. I have been drinking a bit more lately so I'm taking a break--that could possibly part of it as well If I had to rate today though, I'd say a 6 out of 10. Not a great but not a bad day.

Would love to hear from everyone else about how you're doing!!

Posted · Report post  

For a few days when I moved from 10mg to 20mg, I noticed I was very easily aggitated. After the 3rd day, I called my Dr. and she suggested I go to 15mg(which is difficult to do with the way these pills are shaped), so i have been on 15mg for about 4 days now and I notice some more improvement. Will stay on 15mg for a couple of weeks and then move to 20mg. So watch out going from 10mg to 20mg! :)

Posted · Report post  

For a few days when I moved from 10mg to 20mg, I noticed I was very easily aggitated. After the 3rd day, I called my Dr. and she suggested I go to 15mg(which is difficult to do with the way these pills are shaped), so i have been on 15mg for about 4 days now and I notice some more improvement. Will stay on 15mg for a couple of weeks and then move to 20mg. So watch out going from 10mg to 20mg! :)

Thanks edmondy99, good to hear that I'm not the only one then. I'm only on 5mg so far too! LOL but I am on Lexapro so I'm sure there's some play there.

Hope you're doing well!