Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
bintuae

Will Paxil work?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Advertisement

I'll try to make this short. I've been on Paxil and Lamictal for 5-6 years. I only have social anxiety and Paxil worked wonderful. I quit as I felt better and thought I'm not in need for meds. WD symptoms, one of them was severe anxiety, made me want to go back on meds. I was put on Brintellix. Since then, I've experienced anhedonia (loss of pleasure, interest). I quit it then went on Pristiq but it did not resolve the problem. I should note that all of these meds worked on SA but worsened the anhedonia.

Now, I'm back on Paxil (2 days). I feel depressed, unmotivated, numb and depersonalized. Do you think if I stayed on Paxil for a couple more months that these effects will go away and I'll get the enjoyment back? Please tell me I will. I don't want to waste any more time. I'm very hopeless right now. I haven't experienced this s***t called anhedonia ever before.  

Edited by bintuae
Add information

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I forgot to mention I also feel difficulty breathing.

P.S This study shows that Paroxetine reverses anhedonia. [edit]

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove outside link

Posted · Report post  

I  dont know but whenever I quit or reduced my Paxil, I wound up having to go back on it but at a higher dose.  Then it seemed to work.  But ask your doctor esp about your breathing problems.  

Posted · Report post  

I started Paxil 1 yr.ago Helps with the anxiety ,but I too, feel "numbed out"  sometimes. Not a real feeling of contentment--anhedonia? I did not know there was a term for that lack of feeling.  Maybe my Dr. needs to up my dose--taking 40 mgs,in a.m.

Posted · Report post  

I've been on generic Paxil (paroxetine) for about 15 days. The side effects have been kinda tough but not as bad as      sertraline (had to quit after 6 days because of severe insomnia and anxiety). Since starting paroxetine my side effects have been increased anxiety, depressed mood, irritable mood, and feeling spacey and drugged up. I'm very sensitive to meds so my doc started me at only 5mg and I was supposed to go up to 10mg after a week, but I felt so bad when taking the 10mg that I decided I would wait till after the 2 weeks to start taking it. I don't feel the paroxetine helping much for my anxiety or depression yet but I am gonna stick to it because I do realize 15 days is considered a pretty short time and 5mg is a very low dose. I am trying to stay positive and hope for the best. I just started the 10 mg yesterday and plan on keeping it at that dose for a while unless I get worsening side effects. I will try to post on here a couple times a week for the people who want to know how it is effecting someone else (I know I would). So good luck to us all. 

Posted · Report post  

Chris,  Sorry to hear of your problems with Paxil.  I know that it takes time(for me at least1 mon) for the med to kick in fully.  It's hard for me to stay on it, because I get so much nausea.  So my Doc said to lower my dose to 20mgs a day.  I wil try that.  Good luck.

Posted · Report post  

5 hours ago, yankeelady1952 said:

Chris,  Sorry to hear of your problems with Paxil.  I know that it takes time(for me at least1 mon) for the med to kick in fully.  It's hard for me to stay on it, because I get so much nausea.  So my Doc said to lower my dose to 20mgs a day.  I wil try that.  Good luck.

Hey yankeelady, thanks for your response and concern. Yesterday I took a full 10mg pill of my generic Paxil again (my first time doing so 2 days in a row). About an hour later I had a bad anxiety attack and for some reason lost feeling and control of tongue. My mouth and tongue were also very dry and had a hard time swallowing saliva. Needless to say, it was very scary. Even today my mouth is extremely dry and I have some extra anxiety. This is the first time I have experienced this type of anxiety with Paxil. I also feel really drugged up and drowsy. I assume it's because I'm upping my dosage. I plan on taking 10mg today too, but if I have a similar reaction tonight and tomorrow then I will most likely go back down to 5mg or ask my doc to prescribe something else. 

Posted · Report post  

5 hours ago, yankeelady1952 said:

And hey I forgot to ask. Besides nausea, what other side effects did you have? And how long before they went away? Thanks 

Posted · Report post  

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with Paxil.  I also had the dry, cotton mouth side effect,and constipation.  It took a  good month for nausea  to go away,but the dry mouth etc. lasted forever.  It worked fine though,for the anxiety and mood.

Posted · Report post  

2 hours ago, yankeelady1952 said:

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with Paxil.  I also had the dry, cotton mouth side effect,and constipation.  It took a  good month for nausea  to go away,but the dry mouth etc. lasted forever.  It worked fine though,for the anxiety and mood.

Hmm well it's good to know most of the side effects go away. Yesterday I went to a local pharmacy and bought "biotine", a spray for dry mouth. It works! Anxiety is my biggest issue along with mild to moderate depression. I'm hoping Paxil works for me too. Are you still currently on Paxil yankeelady? And if not... why not? 

Posted · Report post  

Yes, the Biotene does work, for the dry mouth.  I have used it.  Yes, I am still on Paxil--lower dose though--20 mgs. Working for me now,so I will stay on it. Depression still haunts me though at times.  I have to work very hard keeping busy to not slip into a very sad mood. I am glad that Paxil is working for you.  I used to take Effexor and Prozac--did nothing for me.  I also take Trazodone at bedtime when needed--it makes you drowsy.

Posted · Report post  

3 hours ago, yankeelady1952 said:

Yes, the Biotene does work, for the dry mouth.  I have used it.  Yes, I am still on Paxil--lower dose though--20 mgs. Working for me now,so I will stay on it. Depression still haunts me though at times.  I have to work very hard keeping busy to not slip into a very sad mood. I am glad that Paxil is working for you.  I used to take Effexor and Prozac--did nothing for me.  I also take Trazodone at bedtime when needed--it makes you drowsy.

That's unfortunate that Paxil hasn't given you complete relieve from your depression. I'm sorry to hear that. Obviously I'm not a doctor... but maybe you do need to have a dosage increase? I'm also on a low dose. I just started 10mg and I'm having a difficult time adjusting to it. It gives me increased anxiety and makes me feel drugged/dizzy. I hope the side effects go away in the next couple weeks. If they don't, I think I will stop Paxil and try something else. I don't really know if Paxil will work, but I am hopeful and am trying to think positive. I have generic klonopin which I was told I can take at night or for bad anxiety but I've only taken it a couple times (I get paranoid about taking more than 1 med at a time). 

Posted · Report post  

Chris,  Sorry to hear the Paxil is not working that well for you. Maybe more time is needed. Meds work differently on people--so individualized.  Maybe try the klonopin--it does work for anxiety,and stays in your system a longer time.  Give the meds sometime--I did, and they eventually worked. Keep on trying, and the best of luck to you.

Posted · Report post  

On 12/31/2016 at 10:26 AM, yankeelady1952 said:

Chris,  Sorry to hear the Paxil is not working that well for you. Maybe more time is needed. Meds work differently on people--so individualized.  Maybe try the klonopin--it does work for anxiety,and stays in your system a longer time.  Give the meds sometime--I did, and they eventually worked. Keep on trying, and the best of luck to you.

Thank you for the encouraging words yankeelady. I am going to give it more time. And I realize it might take some people longer to feel the positive effects. Actually, I feel like my mild/moderate depression is lightening. And I don't feel too anxious today. However I do still feel a little "medicated" and unmotivated. Anyway, I'll try to focus on the good and hope there is more good to come with this med. Good luck to you as well. And have a happy new year.