Where can I go for help?

DustyRoad

I've been on Lexapro for many years. I stopped taking it because I didn't feel any better. Of course, I've been diagnosed with depression. I 've been in a bad way for over 2 years. 

Here's my story. I had my own business. I was a partner. The company was failing. We only had insurance with a high co-pay. I kept getting refills on the Lexapro. Then stopped and have been med free for about 6 months. 

Since then my company sold, I lost my income and have no heath coverage. I'm 65 years old. I could get by working with by own company. Now I have to find work. Feeling depressed who would hire me? I can get plan B Medicare, I can collect unemployment, but after a year that will run out. I have no retirement money. 

I'm going to run out of money!  I need advise.

Where do I go? 

Please help. Dusty

Edited by DustyRoad
add more

I agree with @standup, get the benefits you're entitled to and don't worry too much about the rest for now, once your depression is treated you'll be in a much better position to decide your next steps.

Once you hit 66 you'll be eligible for Social Security so that'll help a bit when your unemployment benefits run out. Obviously Social Security won't be much but if you can work a bit on the side it should be doable. 

I'm in a bad situation too, and when I did a search I found that unitedway.org or 211.org may be able to help me if I wind up needing assistance.  Try those sites and see what you think.  It looks like they can help people in a variety of situations.  They may be able to help you get benefits or find work.

3 minutes ago, standup said:

Where I live, there's Easter Seals along with the county programs. Easter Seals is full service. They offer full case management and offer all kinds of assistance. They'll even pick you up for your appointments and case managers actually go to people's houses. There was a time when I didn't even know these things existed. 

So it all depends on where you live, but there's usually something out there. You just have to find it.

United Way is nation-wide, and they work with many different agencies, so it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

I think you can even pick up the phone and dial "211" in many places and someone will help you get connected with agencies that can help.

Edited by LoneSquirrel