Making friends while on disability and unemployed

Positivenegative

Hi, 

i haven't posted in awhile, but I'm facing a little dilemma. I have high functioning, yet severe depressed and anxiety, and I'm on disability. It's very hard to me to find places to make friends since I don't work, or go to bars, or anything like that. Being 35 years old, most everyone I know is married with children and while I have a loving boyfriend, he doesn't want to go out and do things very much. I have tried volunteering, etc...but nothing seems to stick. I feel that without my boyfriend, I would have very few friends at all, since we spend most of our time together. I want more female friends, or plutonic male friends, so I don't feel so dependent on my boyfriend. I get very depressed without social interaction, like many of us do, and I am trying hard to make friends, but just need some suggestions. Thank you all so much. Peace. 

What are your interests and hobbies? Look around your area for any clubs that interest you, there is always something youd be amazed. Would you be open to the idea of joining a gym? I think thats another good way of meeting new people.

Thats all I can suggest really. All the best.

I echo Hertz's advice.  I joined a Meetup group and have had great success getting out of the house--I even made a friend.  You can find "Meetup" groups nationwide.  Search for "Meetup" based on your zipcode or city, and choose a group that would be of interest.  Good luck to you.

Hello Positivenegative, I too live on disability so I don't work and that just leaves me with a lot of time on my hands. I am not seeing any girl right now and I have no real friends that would come over and it really gets to me a lot. I am visually impaired so I can't drive, therefore I can't get out like I would like. I do have a few important friends in my life at the NA meeting that I go to and my sponsor tries his best to push me out into the public to volunteer and stuff but I am just too anxious to get into that kind of stuff, though I need it very much. I really wish I had some good suggestions for you but I am still trying to learn myself...Be Good to Yourself...