Physical Disabilities along with Depression

quentin360

All day I have been thinking about this and so I wanted to try to create a thread about being physically disabled and how that has affected peoples depression. I do a lot of reading posts on here but I have not come across a lot if any posts on being disabled, physically I mean. And so, since I deal with being physically disabled every day, I was and am hoping that their are more here on the DF forum that are and can relate to me and my concerns. I will start with myself. I have since I was about 12 have had severe depression not long after I was molested at 9 and treated like a total burden and loser by my father. But there is the other side of me. I was diagnosed at 12 with having Charcot-Marie-Tooth decease, ( a neurological decease that wastes away muscles) and no it has nothing to do with teeth. I had to start wearing leg braces which I still do to this day. On top of that, soon after I went blind and had to go to a school for the blind. Although there were good times at my new school, I was more than ever depressed about my eyes and legs. But I then made a decision to not let my disabilities get in the way of my living life and I think it made me stronger. So despite my disabilities I have accomplished a great deal in my life. Oh yea, about the age of 16 I regained most of my vision and was able to get my drivers license and after high school I graduated a course, in of all things, photography. I did however remain color blind and only had one job as a photographer, it became just a hobby. I don't want to ramble on too much. I can say this, that I would take the blindness and CMT decease and much more over the severe depression any day. The depression has been and still is my biggest disability. The other things I did not let get in my way too much but the depression has kept me from doing so many things that I wish I had done. Fast forward to today. The CMT decease has taken my legs for the most part and I have lost most movement in my hands and fingers and I can't drive anymore or hardly can see the computer screen right in front of my face because of my eyes. My disabilities have really affected my depression in a very bad way over the last 5 or so years. I don't know how much is really true but I now believe that I can't do much of anything, I used to take care of everything in and around my household but now I have to ask for help. So that's it my friends, please don't in any way feel sorry for me. I would just love to hear from anyone that has a disability and can relate. If you read all this then thanks a lot...Be Good to Yourselves...

Thanks for bringing this up in the Forums Quentin ! ! ! You will help a whole lot of people who are struggling with things similar to what you have written of so poignantly. 

Although I suffer some physical disabilities in addition to my brain illness of depression, I have been spared some really awful physical disabilities others have been stricken with. I am so sorry that you have been stricken with multiple afflictions.  I wish you all good things and thank you again for posting what you have here.  It is my opinion that you are a very heroic individual!  - epictetus

Living with a physical disability has to be extremely difficult, especially on top of mental illness. I struggle with severe scoliosis and a host of other back problems involving my discs, though I somehow manage to get through the day... I am often in so much pain though that it prevents me from leaving the house or getting tasks done. I currently cannot work because the pain is too great and my severe depression is crippling. I had to drop from school as well because of this. All of this indeed feeds the depression, anxiety, dread, fear, sadness, in my own personal opinion. I think they feed into a vicious cycle of one another and definitely makes getting through the day extra tough. I hear what your saying about the way some of your struggles have taken over your life. I guess I'd say keep fighting, a new day may lead to a a better one, we just never know. Keep hanging on for a better day. Stay as strong as you can.

All the very best to you. 

10 hours ago, Knursingstudent said:

Living with a physical disability has to be extremely difficult, especially on top of mental illness. I struggle with severe scoliosis and a host of other back problems involving my discs, though I somehow manage to get through the day... I am often in so much pain though that it prevents me from leaving the house or getting tasks done. I currently cannot work because the pain is too great and my severe depression is crippling. I had to drop from school as well because of this. All of this indeed feeds the depression, anxiety, dread, fear, sadness, in my own personal opinion. I think they feed into a vicious cycle of one another and definitely makes getting through the day extra tough. I hear what your saying about the way some of your struggles have taken over your life. I guess I'd say keep fighting, a new day may lead to a a better one, we just never know. Keep hanging on for a better day. Stay as strong as you can.

All the very best to you. 

Hi Knursingstudent,

your post could be mine, word for word - except that my struggles started later than yours.

Knursingstudent and Kisa, thanks for the post, it shows me that I am not alone when it comes to physical disabilities here on the DF forum. Knursingstudent, I know it must be very hard for you dealing with scoliosis and back problems on top of the depression, I applaud you for your strength. I know what it's like to have to deal with pain and the effects it has on our mental health. You are in my thoughts...Be Good to Yourself... 

Hi Quentin360 and Knursingstudent,

on a different threat: 'I keep talking myself into feeling bad' I commented on KevinGrem's post. It's about the (unnecessary) distinction between mental and physical disease.

quentin360

Thanks for binging this up I agree they are both disabilities.  I have had depression most of my life sometimes better sometimes worse. Usually lurking in the background.  Recently I was diagnosed with an edema of the spinal cord, no known cause yet, the neurologists seem to be perplexed.  I lost much of the nerve sensation in my lower body for awhile and then what returned was an entirely different sensation. My feet feel like sponges with missing parts and I always feel like I am wearing a band around my middle. I was told this was from scar tissue and will always be there. Where this will progress I have no idea they (doctors) have still not ruled out MS.

I think it has worsened my depression. For me the part that was the worst is that at this moment much of what I have is invisible to most people around me except those who know me well.  Though sometimes I think people believe I must have been drinking because I will stumble or lose my balance.  I think that has been the most difficult part for me personally as depression is also invisible.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Shan69 and imhere4u, thank you both for your posts, I would have said something sooner but I did not see them yet. Shane69, I am sorry for what you are going threw and you are right about people mostly not knowing whats going on with you, sometimes I walk like I am drunk too and I wonder what people are thinking. Message me any time if you would like to talk one on one.

16 hours ago, imhere4u said:

Quentin, I too have CMT.  There aren't many of us with it so I'm always surprised to see it mentioned. 

So imhere4u, it's great to know that there is someone else here that more than anything knows what I am going through. Do you get on the Charcot Marie Tooth group on FaceBook by the way? When were you diagnosed with the CMT and also your depression? I would like to talk to you more so I might just message you and you can message me any time...Both of you...Be Good to Yourselves... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 1:13 PM, quentin360 said:

What?? Does no one here have any physical disabilities or just don't want to talk about it...Be Good to Yourselves...

I am 46 with MDD and I am disabled. I have "Intestinal Malrotation Presenting in Adult Life" my entire intestinal mass is counter rotated 270 degrees counterclockwise. It didn't show up until I was 38. I also have chronic abdominal pain. I have had 2 surgeries which didn't help the pain. I have Tourette's syndrome and purely obsessional OCD - Suicide. I have been depressed every since I got sick 8 years ago. You are not alone! Thanks for posting, I needed it! Ted

I'm having some troubles...am experiencing emotional abuse from family from whom I rent an attached apartment.  I want to move and have my own life and space, but low income wheelchair accessible apartments are hard to find in my area.  I would appreciate your advice and prayers.

Thank you for sharing your story. I know a few people who physical disabilities and life is quite hard on them. Even for those with mental illness disabilities , they make things so hard, if I didn't have family members to turn to with the process of all the paper work, lawyers, and all that they require I would be lost. How do they expect so many things from someone when they are not in their right state of mind. It's sick.