How to get out of my situation

Wanderer42

Hi,

I'm in a situation where I'm depressed. I live with my parents. I have a chronic disease so I can't leave the house often.

I guess my hope is that I could have a social life. But I don't know how to. I used to go to a youth center, but I couldn't make any friends there. It just didn't happen for me - almost all other people could make friends there. I don't know what to do. Even online interaction would be okay, but I don't know how. Any ideas?

I think posting on this forum here is a step in the right direction. Try maybe to find guides online on how to make friends, if this doesn't come natural to you. I also had problems in the past, but it got a little bit better. It will come with time.

Can you join a club? Even one that seems a little lame? The Boy Scouts (sorry if I don't know your gender) or something? They must take handicapped (disabled) people, and are friendly. I am sure you will not be forced to do anything you cannot do. (I am disabled too, so pardon me if I am not politically correct).

By going to the same club week after week, you will eventually gain friends. People are mildly suspicious, and often they have to see you a few times (sometimes many times) before they approach you for friendship. Even then, you may find you really do not have much in common, so it is on to the next person.