Sign in to follow this  
kaym

holding down a job while depressed.

Has anyone been able to hold down a high pressure job while suffering from an episode of severe depression? I can barely keep up good hygiene and eat properly and being home from work makes me feel guilty. But my job demands productivity and quality (claims examiner for health insurance). I can barely remember what happened yesterday, my short term memory is so bad.  The pressure of this job will send me of the rails if i go back to early. I guess i am trying to find out if i should be working after being off 8 months. I am currently being weaned off cymbalta so i can try another course of treatment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is just my viewpoint but it's come from the other side so to speak due to my high level of anxiety which has affected job performance.  Is there some way you can ease your way back to work?  Does it have to be kaboom or can you gradually take on more hours?  I know that field from others, this is why I say that.  I always like to push people back to work.  But it needs to be done at a gradual pace.

I am interested in seeing how others respond to this... I struggle with very severe depression. I am currently not working. I am a 20 something and have been in and out of college... I'm currently living under my parents roof and luckily I have a few years before I can no longer use my parents health insurance. It is very hard. I have student loans I have to pay on and that's all coming from what little savings I do have. To give you some perspective, I used to go to school full time and work two jobs. I can no longer go to school and I can no longer work. Not right now. I used to be able to "hustle" and get things done, but everything has just slowed down for me and my days drag on.I'm getting through day by day and moment by moment. I would love to get back into working in healthcare someday. Best wishes to you. 

Edited by Knursingstudent

@Knursingstudent  First off, thank you for being in the healthcare industry.  There's a significant dearth of nurses in my provinces and nurses constitute the backbone of the healthcare industry.  So just for that, for my own selfish reasons, I hope you can continue on the path you want. 

I recommend a gradual return for anyone.  It's going to be overwhelming, whether it's due to depression, anxiety or an injury or all three.  You're suffering an energy drain, no wonder you can't hustle.  Who could?  That was a heavy load too.

Hi @kaym,

I would also say not to go back until you're ready.  It seems that now isn't the most opportune time as you're being weaned off of cymbalta to try a new medication.  Sometimes when changing medications we can endure some emotional turmoil.  I'm currently being forced to get off of a medication to switch to another (due to side effects) and my mood has certainly taken a dive.  It's going to be difficult to function as I was during this transition.

Anyway, I would work on getting stabilized before going back to work.  Hopefully you're able to get some therapy in conjunction with the medication as that always makes a huge difference.  Of course no matter when you go back there will be a certain level of nerves, but that's normal.

All The Best

My viewpoint is a bit different. My depression hit while I was working. While the depression got progressively worse, I had physical health problems that also got progressively worse. I thought taking time off meant I was failure. I was also very involved in church organizations and my children's school activities and held several offices in their school organizations - President of the Academic Boosters, Treasurer of the Parent Teacher Organization, elementary school teacher aide, etc.  I kept pushing myself because I thought it was the "right" thing to do. I ended up having a horrible breakdown. If I had taken  time off before the depression and my other health issues had completely worn me down, I probably would not have had such a traumatic breakdown ~ I probably wouldn't have had a breakdown at all ~ and when I was better I would have had a job to return to. As it ended up, I was in such terrible shape I will never be well enough to return to work. If you don't have to return to work yet, don't!

50 minutes ago, Knursingstudent said:

I am interested in seeing how others respond to this... I struggle with very severe depression. I am currently not working. I am a 20 something and have been in and out of college... I'm currently living under my parents roof and luckily I have a few years before I can no longer use my parents health insurance. It is very hard. I have student loans I have to pay on and that's all coming from what little savings I do have. To give you some perspective, I used to go to school full time and work two jobs. I can no longer go to school and I can no longer work. Not right now. I used to be able to "hustle" and get things done, but everything has just slowed down for me and my days drag on.I'm getting through day by day and moment by moment. I would love to get back into working in healthcare someday. Best wishes to you. 

Dude same here..im 25.. However.. Its just financial situations that have me in and out of school. Although my anxiety is pretty bad too..mine is pretty high and I'm forgetful and what not so that causes issues when I was working...but I have to work since school doesn't start till January..that and I feel I'm too old not to be working...so I will literally die trying... I'm applying at dominos..wish me luck.

18 hours ago, SailingSoul said:

Dude same here..im 25.. However.. Its just financial situations that have me in and out of school. Although my anxiety is pretty bad too..mine is pretty high and I'm forgetful and what not so that causes issues when I was working...but I have to work since school doesn't start till January..that and I feel I'm too old not to be working...so I will literally die trying... I'm applying at dominos..wish me luck.

You can do it, I have faith in you. Times are hard for many people, we gotta stay strong and do the best that we can do for each given moment. 

Hi kaym :)

I always held jobs that were faster paced and required a certain amount of pressure but I wish I hadn't pushed myself as hard in the past. This summer I had too much on my plate and stressed myself out real bad. Now for the last month I have been totally unable to do any kind of work. From now I will only work jobs that are slower paced and low stress. There's no need to push myself too hard.

Don't let your hygiene and healthy eating slip. Never put work over your well being. If you can maintain eating healthy foods and getting exercise it will help keep you feeling good and better able to cope with stress. 

Make sure to find at least 5 minutes to meditate daily. It will help keep you calm, relaxed and happy.

I guess the best advice I can give you is listen to your body. If you're really dragging day in and day out and feeling miserable then you may want to reduce your hours or find a different job. 

I worked a retail job while depressed in 2009 - 2010. I got fired for being late all the time. I haven't worked since besides for a month in 2011, but I was too incompetent, so I quit.

I am currently working at a very stressful job after a long time off. It definitely has both its good and bad things. It's a tricky situation and of course very individual, and one has to find a balance where you push yourself just enough to get out of your own depression zone and socialize/see other perspectives but not tire yourself over the limit. My advice would be going back to work but not fulltime immediately. Just enough hours so you could build up some sort of energy and positive vibes from your work and not get overwhelmed.