Sign in to follow this  
fearispower

Getting Worse Because We're All Doomed

I don't know if this is the right place, but honestly, I didn't know where else to go.
Today, a report came out claiming that two thirds of the world's species will be dead by 2020, in part due to climate change. Most scientists have announced that it's basically too late to do anything.

What?

All those years of stealing out of my neighbor's garbage cans, trying to drive less, using less electricity were for nothing? Nobody in the government cared enough? The skeptics are still taken seriously? What the hell is the point, then? Why don't we just commit mass suicide?

My symptoms have struck back full force. I know it's not my fault, but part of me keeps saying I didn't do enough. Why am I living now? Why not give up and jump onto train tracks before I have to see the fresh hell we've created on this planet? I don't know how to live with this. I'm not a genius, I don't know how to remove carbon from the atmosphere? What the hell do I do?

I understand how you feel. I worry at times about the world that my niece and nephew are going to grow up in, and not just because of the environment. Something is going to have to give in this society where everything is so blasted expensive. A couple years ago I was in an insurance licensing class where the instructor showed us a copy of hospital bill from sometime in the first half of the 20th century (sorry, I no longer recall if it was the '20s, '30s or what.) A week-long hospital stay cost 20 bucks, I kid you not. Granted that was a lot more money back then than it is now, but it didn't sentence you to a lifetime of debt either. Health care costs go up every single year and people think the answer is to "just let the market fix itself." And yet instead of trying to fix any problems, people just make up nonexistent problems to worry about instead.

Personally my view is that eventually we are going to come to a point where stupidity is going to become an overpowering force and there's going to be a major catastrophe, but worrying about it isn't going to change anything, so I just try to focus on myself and improving life for those around me as much as I can.

100 Ways to Stay Alive – Jennifer Jones

Laugh out loud, drink lots of water, pet an animal, draw with a child, listen to an elder, sing in the shower, give, listen to a bird, look into the eyes of your beloved, dance, breathe deeply, write a poem, jump rope, draw a picture with crayons, share your story, walk barefoot, talk to the moon, eat your vegetables, ride a bicycle built for two, think beautiful thoughts, move your body, dream big dreams, cry during sad movies, hold hands, say please and thank you, laugh out loud, whisper sweet nothings, blow bubbles, tickle, learn to listen, take a class, swing really high, visit a museum, hug a tree, watch a sunrise, jump in a mud puddle, take your vitamins, call a friend, walk or run, write a real letter, forgive everyone, do a puzzle, say your prayers, floss your teeth, create a mandala, give a surprise compliment, make something out of clay, enjoy a rain storm, create a gratitude journal, set a goal, drive safely, heal your relationships, eat a healthy breakfast, meditate, plan a fun event, express your love, think of something new, be a mentor, make a photo album, clean out the clutter, stretch each morning, eat unprocessed foods, learn something new, make a new friend, be open minded, find something to which you look forward, go to bed early, learn to say no, hold a baby, have a project, think happy thoughts, expect something great, get enough sleep, say, I love you , get a check up, give your undivided attention to your driving, don't be over confident, slow down, volunteer at a school, find a moment of goodness, turn off the television, make your home comfortable, be easy on yourself, listen to your body, follow your heart, treasure wisdom, take a warm bubble bath, believe in the mystery, have a garden, make a special treat for someone, make up a new word, hang family pictures on the wall, take it easy, visit someone who needs a visit, learn how to say yes, read something unusual, feel good about yourself, life authentically, accept the unknown, give money away, know someone loves you

On 10/28/2016 at 0:14 AM, standup said:

Double check the year on that. Two thirds of the world's species will absolutely not be gone in four years. Where did this information come from?

It's true I have my degree in biology all my professors were very worried about climate change, it is going to be awful, especially since the report said we are likely locked in for a  3.4C increase(8.0 Fahrenheit) by the end of the century, is starting to hit the fan, in yemen I read in the news how 8 million people will experience famine soon, most of them will die if they don't migrate from droughts in the middle east. we are going to have to deal with alot more sea level rise than people are expecting poor countries with nuclear reactors on the coast might go Chernobyl if there not moved, the oceans are acidifying the great barrier reef is dead. there is no stopping the climate change locked in by ous, it is the most important issue, people are short sighted and don't understand how something like that is a threat. during all the debates climate change hasn't even been brought up, most of green houses gases are from raising livestock,aircrafts and battleships. We are past the point where lowering emissions are feasable we need to invest in carbon capture technology and geo engineering. The poor countries are screwed, most of the wars we have now are over resources and trade routes. I,m lucky because I live in the northeast us and can easily migrate to Canada if things get to bad. It is the most important issue for everyone on the planet. The media down plays it because they don't want people to go into a mass hysteria. I love animals and im a vegetarian but at this point we need to worry about saving ourself's then save species from going extinct.

Edited by scienceguy

@fearispower I understand where you are coming from because your (very legit) concerns are ones which I (used to) share.  I made peace with an eventual mass die off (or even complete extinction) some time ago. Between companies fracking for oil and then spilling it in our oceans, ***ushima still leaking radioactive material and the Beijing smog (just to cite three current examples) I don't blame anyone who feels that recycling is a waste of time. The truth is that the governments and the media have blamed average Joe's rubbish bag for what is happening to the environment while taking the heat off corporations which have literally polluted humanity to near-death.

Watching people my age (32) setting up pension funds and making plans for their kids' tertiary education is quite amusing. I feel it's only a matter of time before humanity's time is up and if it somehow survives climate change, it'll die off engaging in a world-scale war brought on by food shortages/mass migration... because climate change; and humanity.

Whenever this kind of thing gets me down I listen to George Carlin's skit "The Planet is Fine".  I find it comforting that this planet will remain (albeit very altered form from its original state) after our species is long gone. 

I'm going to stop being morbid now :upside:

:

We talk quite often in my country about climate change.  As far as I can recall, the issue was virtually completely ignored by the Harper govt.  We'll see how Trudeau does with this.  Still too early.  I've talked about this with people here and my city is definitely warmer than it used to be.  Whether it's transient I don't know.  But it's nowhere near as cold as it used to be.  I stop the heating earlier and start it later.  The flowers bloom much earlier than they used to.  You can't miss it.  I've had long discussions about the melting of the Arctic and its effects.