Sign in to follow this  
kaymichele01

Need some Advice on a family member..

My niece has had self esteem issues for a very long time stemming from an illness and personal issues with my sister, but most recently it has taken a very bad turn. It  started when she got braces and due to not being able to eat because of pain, she lost weight.  She was never fat to begin with but she may have been slightly overweight to what she needed to be.  Anyway, all of her friends told her how great she looked and how much weight she had lost and I guess it caused her to spiral it out of control. It started as just excessively exercising after dinner to burn the calories and then to barely eating anything at all and most recently, to throwing up after meals. She has reached a dangerous level of weight loss, so much so that her periods have stopped. She is seeing a counselor but it doesn't seem to be helping very much. They want to admit her into a treatment facility but she is in her senior year of high school and absolutely refuses to leave school. She will be 18 in less than 2 months and after that, there is nothing anyone can do. I know how serious mental illness is, having one myself so I just don't know what to say to help reach her. I thought maybe someone with similar issues might be able to give some advice. Thanks!