Sign in to follow this  
toughfighter83

causes of obsessing over my car interior

i own a 96 ford mustang gt and my interior is scratched and for some reason i cant stop obsessing over it, i mean i had cars where the interior was bad but for some reason im so obsessed with this car, is it because it's not confortable where the discomfort can make me obsess over the interior? because i also drive the mazda tribute which is an suv and that has scratches(not my car) but it's comfortable to drive so im not obsessing over fixing that. im just wondering if it's a comfort issue more than just a cosmetic issue?

It sounds like you really like your mustang, thus to see it damaged upsets you, which is perfectly normal because that car means a lot to you. I am the same way with my car when it gets damaged in anyway no matter how minor or severe the damage is. In the end, it seems that you are passionate about the things you care about and in this case it is your car, which is nothing to be ashamed about. 

Obsessive thoughts can be about anything and anxiety drives them,  it doesn't necessarily relate to whatever the actual obsessive thought is.  

I would really recommend reading either you are not your brain or brain lock by Jeffrey Schwartz , he  really explains how obsessive thoughts are created in our brains and how to reduce them ! His books really helped me a lot for Thoughts I had that were just constantly racing through my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about !! 

That's pride speaking with maybe a hint of anal rententiveness, I had an older car (with out going tmi here) I kept spotless and tweaked out over the smallest blemishes. I loved that car and it was a cocktail made in hell that pride mixed with my sometimes anal behaviors on that one. Now this leads me to another bit, don't trust others around your car, that's how mine ended up totaled. I've sort of given up on the one I have now when the dash cracked with a side of forced winter usage and I went from poor to whatever level is below that. The **** fit I had in my head when I saw that was epic to say the least.

Edited by Going_it_Alonne

I'm always amazed when the folks on DF bring up stuff to which I can relate.  I drive an old German car that's in generally very good shape cosmetically.  People are always amazed about the finish which I chalk up to it's engineering...but I've been meticulous about detailing her inside and out over the years.  When things start to go wrong with it mechanically I get depressed about the whole car.  idk, perhaps it's a feeling I've again, despite my best efforts, failed in some way.  But it definitely affects my mood.

it's funny because i had my walls done in my bedroom a couple of years ago and now it's nothing but holes and dents because of my clumsiness but i dont care about it maybe because my bed is really comfortable? i just wonder if it's more to do comfort from bed because when my body is relaxed from the bed i dont obsess with it?

in related to the car, maybe my body is not relaxed so i start obsessing over scratches/problems with the interior because my car needs tires anyway that's causing the discomfort with the driving, which i never had done since 08 so maybe when i get new tires put on, hopefully it will go away.