Dysmorphia.

Does anybody suffer from Dysmorphia? I believe it is part of the OCD spectrum so i think im asking this in the right place, I would really like to hear peoples experiences with body dysmorphic disorder. Would anyone like to share personal experiences and how to combat this tragic illness???

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't really say that I have the disorder, but I do have OCD and I have had issues with body dysmorphia. My skin was a major source of anxiety growing up. As a young pre-teen/teenager, I had relatively "normal" acne which later became a lot worse, primarily due to excoriation disorder. I thought my skin was hideous. I thought the acne and red marks were all anyone saw when they looked at me. I got ready for school every morning in the dark. This included putting on make-up and doing my hair in the dark. I completely avoided mirrors. To this day (I'm in my early 20's), I wince before checking myself in the mirror of public washrooms because of the bright, fluorescent lighting. I still see that 14-year-old, even though my acne is far milder now. I've been left with faint, crater-like scarring on my face and even though most people wouldn't really notice unless they looked closely, to me it's a defining feature. I despise my skin. I've also suffered from some pretty major body image issues, although thankfully I've never had an eating disorder. My physical flaws are magnified by a thousand in my mind and I'm often disgusted with my body, despite logically knowing I look fine. I weigh myself just about every day and if I gain a few pounds, I'm convinced it's noticeable. I'm a real perfectionist in a lot of areas (characteristic of OCD) and I'm always finding flaws in my appearance and obsessing over them. I cannot - and I do mean cannot - leave the house without "basic make-up" (foundation, mascara, something on my lips). I would have a breakdown if I had to run out of the house without foundation on. 

Edited by posie_riot

On 11/22/2016 at 7:33 AM, posie_riot said:

I can't really say that I have the disorder, but I do have OCD and I have had issues with body dysmorphia. My skin was a major source of anxiety growing up. As a young pre-teen/teenager, I had relatively "normal" acne which later became a lot worse, primarily due to excoriation disorder. I thought my skin was hideous. I thought the acne and red marks were all anyone saw when they looked at me. I got ready for school every morning in the dark. This included putting on make-up and doing my hair in the dark. I completely avoided mirrors. To this day (I'm in my early 20's), I wince before checking myself in the mirror of public washrooms because of the bright, fluorescent lighting. I still see that 14-year-old, even though my acne is far milder now. I've been left with faint, crater-like scarring on my face and even though most people wouldn't really notice unless they looked closely, to me it's a defining feature. I despise my skin. I've also suffered from some pretty major body image issues, although thankfully I've never had an eating disorder. My physical flaws are magnified by a thousand in my mind and I'm often disgusted with my body, despite logically knowing I look fine. I weigh myself just about every day and if I gain a few pounds, I'm convinced it's noticeable. I'm a real perfectionist in a lot of areas (characteristic of OCD) and I'm always finding flaws in my appearance and obsessing over them. I cannot - and I do mean cannot - leave the house without "basic make-up" (foundation, mascara, something on my lips). I would have a breakdown if I had to run out of the house without foundation on. 

Everyone looks terrible under fluorescent lighting unfortunately.