Donate Now Read more... ×
mgbi123

I think I am depressed?

Hello im new to the df. Im 16 (almost 17) and I started feeling depressed over the last year.

I started having this feeling of no motivation to do anything and just generic saddnes.

Even though I had this feelings for a year or so i just recently started considering that I am depressed. 

I think that I really started to feel down a couple of months ago. I have two think that I love doing, drawing and playing video games. Drawing and video games have been my all life, they are what i do 90% of the day. So back to topic a couple of months ago our internet started having problems and it crushed like every minute and i was really frustrated with it. So i told my parents that we need to fix the router and they told me something along the line of "its not that important, you can survive without your stupid games" and thats when I realized that my parents have no interest in anything i do on the computer. My all life is based around my computer and all the great things i have learened from using it and for my parents its just "stupid games". And then i also started thinking about my sketchbooks. I have about 20 sketchbooks and my parents never even taken a peek at them. And its not like I'm  hiding them they are just there laying in my room. And don't get me wrong I dont think my parents are bad, hell, I think i am lucky to have them. But I just dont see them care about the things I am passionate about.

I also have a lot of other thinga bothering me like not feeling like my friends care about me, not feeling happy generally, feeling like i am making up my feelings ,being angry at my self a lot and having a strong hate for my sister ( I might get in to that in another post ).

But my sister is not living with us right now and all the other things dont bother me as much the last couple of days.

So. What do i do ? And where do i start ?

Welcome to DF mgbi123, I would recommend going see your Gp or doctor. Explain how you feel and see what they say. Do what you enjoy to do, regardless of what people say or think .if it makes you happy then carry on. The only person you need approval from is yourself.

Stay strong and never give up.

-M

I happene to plan on making my living on the "stupid computer" by making those "stupid games" so if drawing is something you enjoy maybe you could consider pursuing a career in graphic arts, thats what I am doing. I was discouraged because I can't seem to draw anything decent, but on the computer I learned how to use the mouse draw and even got picked up by a mod developer to make models for thier mod (a long time ago). So my life revolves around my computer aswell, thats the age we live in. If you told your parents you want to be a graphic artist then if they are good parents they will support you and "fix the router".

i found your situation kind of similar to mine , im 17 and depressed for about 3 years or less, i too like drawing and video games, have no dream or future goal, a brother whom i admire but could never be as good, harsh parents who beat me when i was younger, social anxiety keeps me from blending in with peers,.... maybe i can relate somehow. anyways, welcome to DF 

Do your parents like reading, or at least would they read something if you asked them to? If they do, there are published articles and books about the benefits of playing video games. This one came to mind: Reality is Broken, follow the links from that page to find other good ones. Give them a copy to prove your hobby isn't stupid.

Other thing you can do: try to find out what your parents think about what you told us. Parents make mistakes as much as anyone, and they probably think they're acting in your best interests. Hypothetical examples: maybe they don't look at your sketchbooks to give you privacy. Maybe they believe you play too much and if the router isn't fixed you'll do more homework or exercise. Maybe they think you're just lazing away and haven't realized how much drawing and playing mean to you. Talk to them about it, show them your latest drawings, show them your passion!

Hello mgbi123. It is difficult and lonely when there is no support. They obviously don't understand that you need your video games and your drawing, but try to persevere with it. You also mention you have friends. The things is at this age this is no a topic that a lot of your peers would understand. But don't abandon them just because you fell they don't care (they probably just don't understand). Keep socializing as in the long-term, while not healing your from depression, it will be beneficial. Loneliness can easily exasperate depression. Also is there any your programs in your area that can help you? You need to connect and build a support network of people that do understand. Or can you speak with someone at school confidentially? Sorry I assume you go to school and you might have graduated yet, if so please don't mind me.

Let us know how are you getting.