Sign in to follow this  
kaymichele01

Wellbutrin and Lexapro?

Has anyone had any luck with Wellbutrin? I've been on 20mg of Lexapro for over a year now and I went back to my doctor today and told her I was quite tired of being so tired all the time. I also haven't been interested in sex in almost a year and have gained a lot of weight since being on Lexapro so we both agreed to lower my dosage to 10mg and add 150mg of Wellbutrin. I plan to start this regimen tomorrow but I'm honestly afraid of the withdrawal symptoms I'm gonna have from it. Has anyone had luck with these two together? 

Hi there,

I started Lexapro and I really wanted to give it a good chance so I stayed on it by itself for about 3 months and it didn't do much for me. Like you, it was making me exhausted and I had no sex drive. And more importantly I was still severely depressed. I then added 150 mg of Wellbutrin and after maybe 6 weeks on that, I noticed a lot of improvement. It was a gradual process but I definitely attribute my success to the Wellbutrin. Since then (5 months ago) I have been depression free. However, I have attempted multiple times to ween off the Lexapro (I took a lot of caution and did it slowly) and I physically get sick. I get brain fog, headaches, nausea and just feel overall crappy. Each time I tried, I gave in and started taking my whole dose (10 mg) again because it sucked. But I plan to push it through it the next time. My advice for you is to either wait until you feel mentally well to start weening of the Lex (there's no harm in taking them together) or start weening off very slowly. If you're on 20 mg now you'll probably have bad withdrawals if you immediately jump down to 10 mg. Then again everyone's body responds to withdrawal differently- you can experiment.. Best of luck!

Another interesting thing to note about these two meds is that they lightly to moderately increase each other's blood levels, so they work synergistically. I was on 10mg of Lexapro and was upset about the same things, weight gain, sex drive checked out, fatigue and just feeling tired. We added Wellbutrin and after a few months I have now eliminated Lexapro altogether. Been about 2-3 weeks now. I'm still having the brain shocks but I'm glad I did it. I feel much more clear-headed. I feel...

I quit Lexapro about 3 weeks ago and started on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL. The Lexapro did help with my depression, but I had NO libido and was becoming inorgasmic. Well....Wellbutrin took care of that problem quick. But I'm still waiting for it to stabilize my mood. Having crazy mood swings and lots of irritability from the Wellbutrin and brain "zaps" from going off the Lexapro. Ahhhh!! But I hope it will be worth it in the end.

I'm on 300mg Wellbutrin and 5mg Cipralex, which is Lexapro in the US. I'm on a low dosage but still gained over 20lbs from when I started Cipralex. I wish that I could just be on the Wellbutrin as it helped me to lose almost 50lbs! I was feeling so much better about myself, and able to fit in my clothes! Now I feel really bummed and down about my weight as it's mostly around my hips, waist and stomach area. I feel very uncomfortable with the extra weight and to make matters worse, my clothes don't fit. However, this has been my experience with Cipralex. It took me a while to get used to both meds as I'm very sensitive to medications of this nature. It was hell in the beginning and I felt awful but eventually I started to feel 'normal'. It did help my depression although my doctor would like to up my Cipralex to 10mg but I want to get off of it and try an SNRI as I read they don't affect weight as much. I hope so!

I know how you feel @Isabella36. I got rid of Lexapro because of the weight gain and the total loss of libido and my pdoc put me on Zyprexa to stabilize my mood. Zyprexa is actually improving my sex drive oddly enough but I've gained even more weight. And like you, it's in the waist, hips, and stomach area. And I'm a man with a normally high metabolism, usually naturally in shape from a fat perspective and the weight is just making me more depressed in the end.

I don't know what to do because Zyprexa has actually had a positive effect on my mood. Calming medications usually do have a positive effect on my mood. And calming stuff like antipsychotics is going to make me gain weight. And I look myself in the mirror and beat myself up for not working harder to keep the weight off. I wish I could go up on Wellbutrin  because like Isabella said, it does help to lose weight and curb your appetite if you're an overeater. But my Doctor will raise an eye at that because I'm bipolar and he's convinced it'll make me fly off the handle.

On 10/17/2016 at 9:12 AM, browri said:

I know how you feel @Isabella36. I got rid of Lexapro because of the weight gain and the total loss of libido and my pdoc put me on Zyprexa to stabilize my mood. Zyprexa is actually improving my sex drive oddly enough but I've gained even more weight. And like you, it's in the waist, hips, and stomach area. And I'm a man with a normally high metabolism, usually naturally in shape from a fat perspective and the weight is just making me more depressed in the end.

I don't know what to do because Zyprexa has actually had a positive effect on my mood. Calming medications usually do have a positive effect on my mood. And calming stuff like antipsychotics is going to make me gain weight. And I look myself in the mirror and beat myself up for not working harder to keep the weight off. I wish I could go up on Wellbutrin  because like Isabella said, it does help to lose weight and curb your appetite if you're an overeater. But my Doctor will raise an eye at that because I'm bipolar and he's convinced it'll make me fly off the handle.

Hi browri,

It's so comforting to read other people experience the same thing while taking Cipralex/Lexapro. I was just thinking today how I can't stay on it because I feel unattractive, and uncomfortable with the weight gain. When I sit down, or I'm driving, I can feel it on me. I beat myself up about it too and I don't think that it's fair that we should have to be on these meds that will only cause us to feel more depressed later! It bugs me when pharmacists and doctors say, "What's more important, your physical health or your mental health?!" It's a dumb, inconsiderate, unintelligent comment. I don't understand how a doctor would think it's okay for one to gain 20-50lbs as long as you are mentally well especially since body image plays such an important role in our lives. In addition, it's not healthy! 

I was so bummed out tonight that I ended up munching on brownies (that I hid in the freezer) and fudge bar (low fat) but still, I hate these moments! I don't want to keep doing this. When I was on Wellbutrin, I didn't have these 'binge' moments because I didn't have cravings or the urge to keep on eating! I felt in control, and felt so happy and confident with my progress. I spent almost 20 minutes this morning trying to find pants that fit, and a top to cover what I'm not comfortable showing. This makes me feel sad and upset, sometimes with my own doctor because I feel like she is accepting what I am telling her about the weight gain. I have been telling her after being on Cipralex for 2 months! It's now been 10 months and nothing has changed. I think doctors need better training in this area, and maybe they need to do some experiments and sample different AD's during their schooling so they know what it feels like!

I see my doctor tomorrow. I don't know what to ask for. She wants to put me on Prozac but I'm against it. It's another SSRI and I know causes weight gain. I'd rather try an SNRI as they are supposed to be weight neutral but I read that some of these also caused weight gain for many so what do I do?! I hate this. I thought about getting off of Cipralex and staying only on Wellbutrin but I'm nervous because when I tried weaning off before, I started to feel anxious and easily irritated by things but perhaps I need to find some alternative ways how to work through this although Cipralex helps to keep me stable mentally and I am really nervous to not have it but I also don't want the weight gain!! 

Any thoughts on Wellbutrin and Pristiq, or Wellbutrin and Cymbalta?

Hang in there browri. Things will get better for us. When, I don't know but at least we are here looking for help and getting support and encouragement from one another. We are not alone! : )

Sending a hug your way!

Pristiq isn't so intense but Cymbalta at 60mg was pretty stimulating to me and I couldn't imagine taking both Cymbalta and Wellbutrin at the same time. But Cymbalta did have the stimulation and weight loss effects pretty similar to Wellbutrin. At least for me.

I got samples of Pristiq from the resident doctor working with my doctor in the clinic. She gave me 50mg and a prescription for 25mg only to find out that they don't have it in Canada! I wanted to start on a low dosage as I found I reacted strongly to both Wellbutrin, and Cipralex when I first started taking them. However, I haven't started taking the Cipralex yet. I'm scared, and nervous as I don't want to go through the small hell that I went through when starting the other meds. As well, I was reading forums, and posts online about people gaining weight on Pristiq as it increased their appetite, and cravings, which is what Cipralex is doing to me now. : (  I am so tired of this, and I want it to end. I wish I didn't have to take anything else besides the Wellbutrin as I would have continued losing weight, be at my goal weight, and feel better about myself compared to gaining back 25lbs of the 50lbs that I lost last year. I also feel depressed about my clothes not fitting, and not feeling good about myself. I don't understand why doctors don't understand this!!! I'm so mad, and frustrated. I just ate 3-4 peanut butter/jam sandwich!! ***?! Mind you, I didn't have much for breakfast as I was rushing, small portion of pasta/ricotta for lunch, 1 apple and some almonds, and a cookie at work. I know that I probably ate more because I was hungry. I was feeling really tired, and a bit dizzy but I also made a smoothie beforehand. However, I don't need 3 sandwiches, and don't think that I have eaten that many in one sitting!! That's what I am trying to explain to my doctor. Cipralex increases cravings,and makes you want to eat more even though I just ate!!

I don't know what to do. When I first read about Pristiq, it sounded like the best option for me but after reading more reviews, I'm nervous. I am to stop taking Cipralex, continue with Wellbutrin 300mg and take Pristiq 50mg. Pristiq is supposed to replace what Cipralex has been helping me with so that is why I would be taking it with Wellbutrin. I like Wellbutrin as it really helped me control my appetite, and cravings! I noticed a HUGE difference. I felt so much better being in control, and losing weight slowly each week. 

I have noticed that I don't have much motivation with Cipralex, and tend to feel more tired than not. Then again, my sleeping patterns have been off, and going to be late really hits me in the morning so i'm sure that has a lot to do with it but I wonder if Pristiq would help me energy wise. I also don't want it to affect my libido. I thought about taking GABA along with Wellbutrin but it may take awhile before I notice it working, if it does help me.

What do you think?

Hi browri,

I'm nervous and scared to start Pristiq because I read so many stories online of people who gained weight while taking Pristiq. It seems more people gained vs lost weight with this medication. However, I know that everyone is different but it stresses me out. I don't want to continue having cravings, and being all over the map with my eating. I also have been feeling really tired lately, and have no motivation. I'm not sure why that is or where it's coming from. I'm wonder if it's from feeling bummed out due to the weight gain, and not feeling hopeful or happy about the situation that I am in. I know that I'm not the only one taking AD's but I don't enjoy feeling this way. I'm tired of it all. I wish I didn't have to rely on AD's or just be on Wellbutrin, and that's it. I'm not feeling great today. I'm feel fatigued and out of it. I also have some personal things that I am dealing with, which is probably not helping.

If I decide to try Pristiq, I will start it tonight at 50mg and see how the first week goes. A part of me would like to take the nutritional route with vitamin B's, fish oil, and GABA although I'm sure these would help if I took them in addition to Wellbutrin and Pristiq.