Sign in to follow this  
kaymichele01

Lexapro and Wellbutrin effects?

Has anyone had any luck with Wellbutrin? I've been on 20mg of Lexapro for over a year now and I went back to my doctor today and told her I was quite tired of being so tired all the time. I also haven't been interested in sex in almost a year and have gained a lot of weight since being on Lexapro so we both agreed to lower my dosage to 10mg and add 150mg of Wellbutrin. I plan to start this regimen tomorrow but I'm honestly afraid of the withdrawal symptoms I'm gonna have from it. Has anyone had luck with these two together? 

Hi,

Yes I have had success with this combo! I was on 10 mg of Lexapro for 4 months and it was wasn't helping my depression as much as I hoped it would, not to mention I was having the same side effects as you--no libido, couldn't orgasm, and tiredness. I added 150 mg of Wellbutrin and stayed on the 10 mg of Lex and my depression slowly started lifting! And I got my libido, ability to orgasm, and energy back. 

I can't speak on the withdrawal symptoms because I kept my Lexapro dosage the same. However, I do know that you should ween down to 10 mg VERY slowly. Withdrawal symptoms are tough and you wanna give the Wellbutrin a fair shot to do its work. I see this post is from a couple months ago so I'd love to hear how you're doing. 

I recently added Wellbutrin to 20mg of Lexapro because of the sexual side effects. When I added it, I felt a lot better, though it didn't help a lot with the sexual side effects. I felt so good though, that I tapered my Lexapro back to 15mg then 10mg and now 5mg. With the winter months on us, I struggle a bit more than when I added the Wellbutrin, but I've added a SAD lamp to my routine which is picking up the slack. In fact, I feel much better than I did this time last year with only the Lexapro. My sexual function is much better now. Not perfect, but considerably better. I also did not experience much in the way of withdrawal tapering down.