Sign in to follow this  
standup

I'm getting a puppy!

What do you guys and gals think about pet therapy? At this point, I need all the help I can get. This is the one thing that I actually feel excited about. I'm picking her up on Sept 24th and I can't wait. It's going to be a tiny dog. Havanese + Maltese = Havamalt. 

I think she was about 4 weeks old in this picture. I still don't have a name picked, so I'm open to suggestions.

4 weeks.jpg

Dogs are the best! Petting and cuddling with them is probably one of the most effective things to do that cheers me up when I'm depressed or anxious. Too bad I'm not allowed to keep one where I live. 

Edited by anarc

I found having a dog in the past to be great for cheering me up when I felt depressed. They give you unconditional love, you can give them cuddles and walking them gets you out the house :smile: , they are also great listeners and never get bored of hearing about you worries!

For some reason snowflake comes to mind :smile:

Edited by hocico

2 hours ago, anarc said:

Dogs are the best! Petting and cuddling with them is probably one of the most effective things to do that cheers me up when I'm depressed or anxious. Too bad I'm not allowed to keep one where I live. 

I obviously don't know your exact situation, but I've heard of people getting around pet restrictions with a doctor's recommendation stating that the pet serves a medical/ therapeutic purpose.

Wonderful you're getting a furball!  Although I've been a cat daddy for many years, the same advantages apply to our depression imo.

I posted elsewhere it's helped that I become responsible for a little life or little lives totally dependent on me.  They've been comforting b/c they can read my moods and respond unconditionally.  In particular for me they've literally saved my life when I've been at my worst.  When I've been on the (figurative) precipice, the thought of abandoning them has been more unbearable than whatever pain I might have been in and pulled me back.  (In one case, it was so profound I swore I would see them completely through their lives...and kept that promise).

I got a pug puppy this spring and he's been a wonderful antidepressant! My daughter and I love him lots and he seems to love us. I get outside so much more now too!  I keep thinking about all sorts of people who I wish could have little dogs. Anyway, it is stressful and demanding at times, but we're smitten. Is Daisy a good name for your new friend? 

Aww!!!  She's so sweet!!!  I'm sure you'll just love having her.  I would like to have a dog someday; my circumstances don't really allow for that right now, but maybe in the future.

She could be a "Lola."  Or maybe a "Sophia/Sophie."  One thing I've found with pets is that they tend to name themselves.  By that, I mean that you get to know them, and the name they should have becomes clear as their personality comes out.  Maybe start a list of names you like, and hold off naming her until you see which name suits her the best.

Edited by LoneSquirrel

Thanks for all the name suggestions! I LOVE them all. LoneSquirrel, I think I may actually go with "Lola" and I really like "Sophie" too, or "Laila" like evalynn said. I've even considered "Baby" because she is so small and adorable. "Mia" is another one I like. Abbie or Addie are also good. 

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for reading materials for a first time dog owner? I know crate training is highly recommended, for example. I guess I just need a "for dummies" kind of book or website to get me started and make sure I have all my bases covered. 

6 minutes ago, standup said:

Thanks for all the name suggestions! I LOVE them all. LoneSquirrel, I think I may actually go with "Lola" and I really like "Sophie" too, or "Laila" like evalynn said. I've even considered "Baby" because she is so small and adorable. "Mia" is another one I like. Abbie or Addie are also good. 

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for reading materials for a first time dog owner? I know crate training is highly recommended, for example. I guess I just need a "for dummies" kind of book or website to get me started and make sure I have all my bases covered. 

That's a good question.  Not sure about a book, but be sure to look into obedience classes.  My dad took my parents' dog to Petsmart for obedience classes.  The dog is still headstrong, but she responds to the clicker when I use it, so the training must've worked to some degree.

18 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

That's a good question.  Not sure about a book, but be sure to look into obedience classes.  My dad took my parents' dog to Petsmart for obedience classes.  The dog is still headstrong, but she responds to the clicker when I use it, so the training must've worked to some degree.

We'll be doing the Petsmart classes (fortunately I have financial help with this). I also ended up picking up a book called The Art of Raising a Puppy. It comes highly recommended.

I've asked the breeder for a new picture so hopefully I'll be able to post another here tomorrow. She's about 40 days old now.

52 minutes ago, standup said:

We'll be doing the Petsmart classes (fortunately I have financial help with this). I also ended up picking up a book called The Art of Raising a Puppy. It comes highly recommended.

I've asked the breeder for a new picture so hopefully I'll be able to post another here tomorrow. She's about 40 days old now.

That's great!! 

I can't wait to see how she's grown. :wub:

3 minutes ago, LoneSquirrel said:

Aw!!!  How precious!!

How are things going with Lexi?

It's been a bit challenging, but fun. She was a bit young at 7 weeks and her bladder is probably the size of a peanut. She goes in the house a lot, but that's to be expected. I think she'll be pretty easy to deal with, overall, especially in a few months. By only the second night in the crate, she did a lot better.