Sign in to follow this  
Bloomoutofgloom

Hoping to feel better with wellbutrin

Hello all, This is my first day on this site. I guess I should start out with a short bio. I'm 31, I have two daughters and am in a happy relationship. I've struggled with depression most of my life. I was abused for years as a child and from that rose most of my demons, if not all. My belief is, if that hadn't have happened to me,  I would have been confident enough not to allow others to effect/sway/hurt me.

I often struggle to be "normal" despite having a privileged life. (We're not rich but I'm able to stay home with my girls) my boyfriend loves me, constantly praises me and tells me how blessed I've made his life. You'd think thar would be enough. Still, I find myself questioning my existence. Fantasizing about getting killed in multiple ways..any way that wouldn't be "my fault" I hate feeling this way, just want it all over..but I believe that suicide leads to hell (Wether you believe that to be true or not, I'd rather be careful than wrong. If this life is bad, hell would be worse) so I silently hope to be removed from this existence through no fault of my own...and it shows. I cry for no reason, I get overwhelming feelings of hopelessness and uselessness. My daughters try to interact with me and after the first 10 minutes I just want to be alone! :-( I feel horrible because I love my children. I don't want them to grow up with issues because mommy "couldn't get it together" before kids I used to self medicate with alcohol and drugs. Since having children, I've gained weight. Weight gain depresses me and depression makes me over eat. I smoke like a chimney because that's the only time I feel at peace. When I'm outside, playing candy crush and smoking 3 smokes back to back. I dread going back in to the house..I shouldn't feel like this..I was wondering if wellbutrin could be good for me. Will it help my symptoms without making me a robot?? I'm at my wits end and he'll sounds less and less scary. That breaks my heart. I just want to be happy. What's the pros/cons of this drug?

I'm glad you're going to try to do something, even when it seems you have it all, if you don't feel well emotionally it will never be enough. Since you smoke a lot ( I used to ) Wellbutrin - Buproprion is an excellent choice, at least it was for me. I've smoked on and off for more than 30 years, and when I first took this med, after 3 days I was finally able to put down the cigarettes. This medication might be able to help you out with your sadness as well, but you'll never know unless you try it. If you've never used these type of meds before, the first thing you have to do is be patient, none of them seem to work quickly. It's different for everyone, but usually 4 to 6 weeks, Wellbutrin can work faster though. I take this med along with Zoloft - Sertraline for my anxiety disorders, and with them both combined, everything is well under control as well as staying off the smokes and having a pretty normal libido. Good luck

I started Wellbutrin 9 weeks ago.  150mg for 19 days then increased to 300 mg per day.  I was able to quit smoking after a few weeks and still smoke free.  Sadly that is the only positive from Wellbutrin.  It does nothing for my depression.  I am switching to Cymbalta in a few days.  20 years on Nardil but needed to get off after that long.

Whether or not this drug will help you is pretty uncertain.  Every antidepressant on here some people will say it was good, some will say it was good and bad, some will say it was bad or did nothing.

Two pros about Wellbutrin specifically to you is that many people lose weight on it, and it can help you quit smoking.  So something to consider.

The abuse as a child thing sounds like you should try to supplement whatever medicine you take with some type of psychotherapy too.  Many people find that helpful.