Highest and Lowest points in your lives so far...

SonOfTom

Interesting topic i thought of that some of you may like to engage in, and may want to share a little bit about yourselves on...

The highest and lowest points in your lives to date.... I'll share mine.

Highest points....

Meeting the one and only girlfriend i ever had at the age of 19 relationship lasted two and half years and that was the happiest i'd ever been...

My Childhood/teenage years while they were filled with challenges and sometimes grueling times i miss the innocence and carefree attitude of those years. Well mostly the attitude and feelings of my teenage years to be honest, childhood wasn't that great. I wish i had of made the most of my teens while i had the chance.

Lowest Points....

Several close family members passing away, each one sad depressing and difficult to deal with i still feel down for days thinking about them.

Thinking back over the years of all the wrongs that was done to me, some didn't even bother me to much at the time but now i play those incidences in my head over and over.

When Christmas time comes around over the last couple of years constantly thinking about the relatives that have passed on, and the friends i have lost that just don't seem to want to know me anymore. On one occasion even standing at the edge of my local pier looking in the water contemplating taking my own life. Also thinking and reminiscing about times long gone, places that used to be, the way things where years ago and wanting to go back to those times. A depressive type of nostalgia 

Severe Bullying I received during my school days. Being rejected and outcasted nobody wanting to know me or talk to me or hang out. Being a loner basically....

Learning how to cope with some of my relatives drug/alcohol addictions. Understanding how society see's them and subsequently see's me.

I think thats it for now that will give you a fair idea of who i am, would anyone like to share???

Edited by SonOfTom

It's a really nice topic, man. Glad you thought of that question. Although, eh, it'll be difficult to think of a highest point... maybe when I was  18. Second semester. Until then I was extremely bitter and unmovtivated. It was then when I found a purpose. Felt like I was reborn. I started working so hard I didn't previously believe it's possible, I was positive and encouraged.

Lowest points: When I failed to fullfill my goal; when grandma died and I couldn't even go to her funeral due to exams; when I went to live alone for a bit; when they bullied me back in mid school and I had nobody to talk to and thought I was the one at fault, still oblivious to the fact that I had depression; when my only friends said they won't speak to me again (happened 2 days ago).

Excellent topic. Sad, but excellent.

Best times in my life: Early 20's. Having lot's of friends, having a great career, great romantic relationships (I even dated Jose Canseco), having my two sons, having money.

Worst times: Losing my sons due to bipolar disorder. Losing my successful career. Losing every romantic relationship due to not being medicated correctly. Not being able to hold down a job. Losing my lifestyle. Losing all of my friends. Being disowned by my sons, my father and my whole family. Ending up on Social Security and moving into a boarding house without even a car.

Best times: Playing board games with friends when I was much younger, before depression had latched on to me. Happiest moments of my life. 

Worst times: Watching my grandfather die by inches, his every ragged breath wracked with pain as I stood there powerless, with the knowledge that if I had just been more perceptive, he might have made it out alive. I just wish I could have been a better grandson when it actually mattered. 

Great topic and I'll have to edit myself.  Simply, both have to do with my dad.

Best times:  After the folks divorce when I was a kid and I'd visit him and my stepmother.  In contrast to the abusive hell in which I lived with my mother, their household was normal, warm and inviting.  In contrast with my mother's warped agenda, he always supported and encouraged my interests even though he might not have understood them.

Worst times:  When he died and I was only 30.  He'd become my rock even more as I'd grown up and I'd watched him, through thick and thin, stick with his AA program for 13 years.  Suffice to say I still miss him many years later.  In the worst of my depressive moments I find myself calling out to him.  idk if it's metaphysical or psychological or a combination, but he seems to always answer in some way.

Cool question. Highlights.....partying in high school, first love, dancing, doing artwork, having my children (3), the first one being particularly exciting cuz I didn't ever expect to be a mom, travel, hiking, and camping, several jobs working  with children.

Low points...growing up in alcoholism, not feeling love from my mom, break up with first love, depression and suicidal feelings as I began adulthood, divorce, an unbelievable bout of anxiety which lasted for months, and my son's drinking and driving accident that caused the death of one of his best friends.

One recent high point was a couple years ago, I had money, was working, and it was the summer... Me and my two buddies would get together and just get shwacked on mushrooms and play video games all night every other week or so, it was the most fun I'd had in years... I remember feeling legitimately happy, I was going through a government program (being paid to do so) and learning trades, had money in my pocket, it was great... Before that, I honestly couldn't really tell you, I don't think there was anything before or after I'd consider a higher point than that (I don't mean this as a pun or anything, by the way lol).

Lowest point was not that long ago when I was basically planning my own death and came really close to going through with it. I'm better since then but I still have my low moments.

Edited by Turnt

2 hours ago, Turnt said:

Lowest point was not that long ago when I was basically planning my own death and came really close to going through with it. I'm better since then but I still have my low moments.

I know this feeling all to well.. As I have been there my self... I would say it was after a friend of mine died from cancer..it shattered my my world depression hit hard and I could barely get up.

My highest point.. Was me asking my ex fiancee to marry me... I was so happy when he said yes and I put the ring on his finger...

4 minutes ago, Misanthrop said:

High: when I got my first, & also my current, jobs; especially when I was jobless for almost a year prior.

Low: End of relationship with ex-gf, got fired from 2 jobs (wow, my low points pale in comparison with y'all...)

Misanthrope my phone is acting ******** lol

We all have our own triggers.. An everyonexperiences the world a different way..  Don't think that your pain is different from ours in anyway.. We all share each others pain .. We are a family here..

High Points: Being at college and having an active social life and good best friend who I could rely on, visiting America after a year of long distance to spend time with my first every girlfriend Sarah, visiting Canada and seeing my uncle and cousins after many years, when my illness was stable and under control, meeting my ex and the giddy excitement that came from being young and in love, having my op so my illness is no longer a problem, getting married, travelling around the UK meeting various people and having fun :smile:

Low points: being in multiple car accidents, getting a head injury, my illness getting progressively worse and many hospital stays, breaking up with my first ever girlfriend, getting divorced, my depression going up and down, losing jobs due to my illness. 

My life for the most part has always been flatlined, my lowest was probably about a year ago when I was threatening suicide everyday telling everyone I was depressed talking about how lonely I was all the time I was ready to take myself multiple times then I said **** it'll get therapy I kept getting bounced around till I therpist told me I need to go to outpatient because she does not have the experiance to help me.

My highest was probably when I peaked when I tried a psychedelic or when I use to get drunk everyday. When I gradauated college or when I had my grandparents visit me over the summer I can't remember ever being happy before my medication. One time I took a adderall and a xanex and it made me feel fantastic when I was sitting in class I just felt warm and giggly from the combination it was great but I ran out of xanex a while ago and they won't represcribe it to me and im out of adderall its been a month and they haven.t filled my prescription Barstewards. That sad the best moments of my life are from drugs or alchohol.

Edited by scienceguy

Like everyone else, my life has had more downs than ups. It's difficult for me to recall what were my highest and lowest points since there tends to be a hodgepodge of everything in between.

As for highest, I'd say it's earning money, getting a good grade, finding a new music band or artist to listen to, and reading books and or watching tv or movies before my depression hit me. Now it seems that video games are what keep me company.

My lowest points would have to be getting a bad grade, not earning enough money, creating a method yet having it turn out to be completely unorthodox, getting insulted in public (happened to me today when a British man said to me: "**** OFF you despicable little twat." Being lonely, parents getting into fights, being called names like "failure" and "a******", Having a bad teacher or class, etc.

I'm a very plain person. Maybe I'll reveal more details later, but I'm not sure.

I don't think my life has had any defining moments that are my highest or lowest points. Everything is a bit more subtle. 

Highest: receiving a gift from someone who put a lot of thought into it; getting really excited after seeing a well-filmed and though-out movie; watching my cat follow me around from room to room; defeating the boss level in a video game after the hundredth try.

Lowest: realizing that I don't have any strong connections with anyone; being forgotten by a friend.

I feel I should also mention that 2015 was a good year for me, i got more confidence done myself up a bit, washed more bought new clothes ect. Then in March this year that sent me right back into the deepest realms of depression again. I dont know if i'll ever get out of it this time.

2015 though was the first time i really felt confident since a teenager... Then one petty little thing F's it all up.

Highlights:
Probably my Jr.High years. My friends and I all went to school together, and played video games together, and did all kinds of different fun activities. I met my first girlfriend around this time, and even though there was a lot of drama that was also going on, I felt like there was so much meaning to moving forward and making decisions. This was all before I was diagnosed with anything.

Highschool, even though it had all of those confusing identity crisis moments, not to mention this was when I first experienced depression and anxiety, was still such an impacting and integrated time for me. Also music felt super meaningful. I felt a lot more connected with the world around me, plus there was some relationships with girls and decent parties, even if it was quite a show.

Low points: Discovering more and more about the world around me, and the sort of twisted parts about the world, and the exploitation that exists. Slowly becoming more and more of a "loser" because I don't fit into any good or attractive archetypes in the real world. Getting and/or feeling rejected by pretty much every girl I ever had feelings for since high school. Getting hit by a car, and the subsequent pain/discomfort that followed. (Though, oddly enough, I got quite a bit of positive attention during those times. In fact depression and anxiety were the least of my concerns for a while). Feeling more and more desperate for a meaningful relationship and waking up every subsequent day to deprecating disappointment in life.

My highest points were probably when I was a little kid discovering new music and experimenting with my looks.Everything just seemed so brand new and fabulous.And also spending good times with my family are very special to me.

My low points are probably when my Mom and one of my sister`s found out I was self injuring and they got scared.I remember my Mom hiding all the scissors and knives in the house.I felt pretty low when I couldn`t even be trusted to use a knife to chop up vegetables for dinner.That was really a low point for me.Also where living with this illness has left me.I felt like I`ve never done anything with life because of this illness.It`s kind of hard for me to remember life before this came over me.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, highest point. I might have to reiterate the previously mentioned bits about my youth and the blissful ignorance it provided. Getting into a consistent workout and diet routine. Writing more often, even if it's just tiny dumps into a journal. I attended a poetry reading not too long ago and I remember a friend of mine saying it was awful brave of me.. I didn't think so at the time, but maybe it was sort of bold. New job, romantic prospects. Synthwave.

Lowest point is far easier to define. On the cusp of the new job, I met someone while out with friends. She seemed surreal, almost dream-like. Things were going well until she just dropped off the face of the planet.. granted, she told me she was doing so to cope with her mental condition. The smart thing to do would've been to let it be, but I have a tendency to invest too deep emotionally. Couple that with endless rumination and brooding spells.. well, it's a recipe for disaster. Long story short, my efforts to reach her were deemed creepy and excessive. To leave her alone, and so I did. The internal monologue I experienced was a minor preparation for any possibility. Still.. it hurt. Suicidal thoughts, isolation, self hate.. had I not eked out some positive mantra beforehand, it may have well broken me entirely. I'm still here, though.

I don't know what my highest point is. It's strange to say, but I think I'm still looking for it. I know. I should pick one that I like so far. But I just can't seem to be able to do that. It's like, I'm in a fog, and maybe when the fog lifts I'll be able to see better, but right now, there is no best or worst, it's all the same because of the fog. My life right now seems pretty bad, but after it disappears into the fog, it's no longer even in existence. (and I mean this particular moment in my life, not my life in general)

Hey SonOfTom, good post, I don't know how I have missed it. Well for me my lowest point, without thinking twice was when I was sexual abused from 9 to 11 years old by a much older male relative, it about destroyed me. But then there is a tie for the highest point in my life. The day I meet the girl of my dreams, which she is no longer with me though, and the other would be the day I walked out of drug rehab and began a brand new life in Kansas, USA. Thanks for the post...Be Good to Yourselves...