Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

The Spoon Theory

"The healthy have the luxury of choice, a gift most people take for granted. "

What a truly profane statement.

Thanks for sharing your post. It really made me reconsider much of the things that recently happened in my life.

In addition to being bipolar, I also have narcolepsy. The spoon theory fits well. People with narcolepsy constantly have to make choices about what they can and cannot do during any given time period. I have often explained to people that when I get up, I have enough energy to take my meds, brush my teeth, and take a shower. After the shower, I have to lay down for ten or fifteen minutes. Just a shower makes me sleepy. And the frustrating part is that narcolepsy isn't really physical fatigue...it's all above the neck...pure sleepiness.

I might have to try the spoon theory on people.

Hi...

Besides my mental health issues and depression, I also have fibromylagia and crippling arthritis...I first heard the spoon theory story 11 years ago, and I can't tell you how many times I've used it as an example for well meaning folks that honestly believe I am just lazy, and can't possibly hurt 24 hours a day SIGH

That has got to be the best explanation of my limitations..

Thanks for posting it

Red

Thanks for sharing the spoon theory...more often than not it's the one I use every day. Especially when the bare minimum expected for grade 12 takes more spoons than I can handle - I might have 10 to get through a school day if I don't do homework, but if I use my spoons for homework then I'm too overwhelmed to go to class.

My illness has been difficult to explain to people beyond the textbook definition, as they don't "get" what it's like because they don't have it. This analogy might make things easier.

And, happy New Year to everyone!

Rose

Wow, that was an amazing piece of writing. I'm at a loss for words except to say that I really love that this exists, and that I found it and read it tonight. I have a feeling I will be returning to this one as a continuing source of inspiration.

Wow, this is such an elegant and moving analogy! It's made me stop and think, and almost cry just now.

Thankyou for sharing this insight into the difficulties and pain of coping with an illness. Although my pain is mental, it's made me consider how many 'spoons' I get each day, and that perhaps I should use them more thoughtfully, especially when they run low. I hadn't thought of trying to pace myself, I always just get frustrated and upset when at 3pm I feel like I've taken on all I can...

Thankyou :thumbs-up:

This was incredibly moving and validating. I sent it to my sister who I feel has difficulty understanding that just because I have a mental illness (depression) which you can't "see", does not mean that I don't struggle every day.

Thank you for posting it!

I read this quite a while ago and it helped me realise a way to explain my own life. It's so well written.

I think this is one of the most amazing analogies about living with chronic illness, pain, or mental concerns. It has been something that has comforted and empowered me ever since it was first put out there, and I admire the author very much.