Zoloft for anxiety is making me feel depressed

Ken88

Hi,

I've been having GAD (agoraphobia, social phobia and panic) for a couple of years now. I've been on and off medication and never came across something that actually makes me feel good, something mood-lifting (except for benzo's).

But some medications do help with the anxiety and coming off them only makes the anxiety come back, unfortunately. Right now I've been taking zoloft (for a couple of days) and I feel that I am getting depressed on this particular medication. 

I'm seeing a psychiatrist in about a week and I'm not sure what to do in the meantime. I could probably use counseling but I'm afraid of experiencing panic again, especially in the presence of strangers, even doctors. 

I still have cipralex and temesta from previous prescriptions and think that I would probably do better on the cipralex, although it might just need time. I'd really like the doc to just prescribe me something to take away the physical symptoms first before starting talk therapy but I'm not sure if I should ask or just see it through regardless of symptoms. 

Please advise.

Thank you!

Ken

I've been on and off this med for 3 years. The beginning and quitting are always the worst. Hang in there, it takes time, different for everyone but generally 6 to 8 weeks to see if your dose is right. My anxiety has been so well controlled over this time period I almost forget what it was like to feel that feeling.

I only have deja vus when I either start or come off antidepressants so I know they are caused by them. But the psychiatrist told me it's probably because the meds need to get used to. Depersonalisation is not a big problem for me when I'm off the meds, however it's tolerable as long as the medication is really going to kick in. 

I know I have gut dysbiosis so I'll keep approaching my anxiety on a dietary level as well. 

All the best to you guys

• 4 weeks later...

Ken, I am new to Zoloft too and I got prescribed it to help with anxiety and it made me quite low at first and more upset and crying. That was the first two weeks but I also started feeling better by day nine or so. I only take 25mgs. I did increase day 11 to 50 mgs but I felt spaced out and weird and doped up and dozey so I stopped afer three days taking so much and went back down to 25mgs.

I am now coming up to four weeks on 25mgs and for me it is so magic. I feel really okay. Really like my normal self and I am having a lot of stressful things happening but the last week I have just started feeling better and better. So I think it took three weeks to start being really steady for me. I hope it is helping you and you stuck with it. 

Hi,

Still taking the Zoloft... the severe depression did eventually fade although I still sometimes experience waves of despair. 

It does help with the anxiety so that's a bonus. I sometimes feel a bit better and happy but I've come to realize I'm intolerant to certain foods. Probably no wonder it's taking so long for me to start feeling better.  

But the Zoloft definitely helps. It takes the edge off so to speak and makes things more controllable. 

Best regards

Ken

I'm glad the Zoloft seems to be working well for you @Ken88.   I started two months ago and am on 100mg.  Horrible anxiety attacks about 4 weeks in that subsided.  Started to feel like myself again around 5-6 weeks, i.e., not stuck in that pit of despair, too paralyzed to do anything.  It had gone on for four months.  As someone mentioned, I, too, have had a couple of particularly stressful events in the past two weeks - and the T has been unavailable - but I've managed to mostly keep it together.

One of the events was a sudden ER/hospital stay for a couple days for an ongoing medical problem.  It threw me for a loop, but I managed.  I'm recovering at home and having to limit my physical activity.  While I've experienced moments of anxiety and depression b/c of the stress, they're only moments.  Generally, I'm functioning well under the circumstances.

• 1 month later...

How is Zoloft working for you all now? First week and a half for me was terrible with anxiety and no appetite and I had that before starting, third week in I felt like myself and could eat more and only suffered a tight throat, the next week (this one) I crashed and feel back to square one my doctor then increased me to 50mg, can't eat, crying spells that lead to panic and hopelessness my doctor just don't feel any better this is the second day on 50mg