Would it be bad to just have 3 protein shakes a day?

depressedamber

I don't have any friends in college.. I was considering buying protein shakes for my room to replace meals and having to go to the cafeteria by myself. I feel like everyone is judging me..no matter what anyone tells me. I just want to get my degree and get out..Im terribly depressed. If my mother knew how depressed I was college she would cry.

Hi Amber :)

Have you tried joining any groups or clubs? I'm sure there's some kind of organization you could join to meet some people, if you think outside the box and see what they have to offer I'll bet you'll find something interesting. I don't think it would be healthy to just consume protein shakes. Have you been in college long? It takes some time to get adjusted. At my college we had the option between cafeteria and points to buy stuff at the store and eat at the dorm. Maybe that's an option if you really don't want to eat at the cafeteria.

I like to watch youtube people when I need some inspiration. Maybe check some of these people out.

Keep your chin up kiddo, things will get better, I promise. College kids are better than High School and Elementary school kids so you'll find some cool people I'm sure of it.

For what it's worth you got me as a friend so if you ever wanna chat feel free to message me :)

Edited by durandalblue

Is there a mental health group at your college you can join? Or can you talk to your roommate, if you have one? If you do end up getting protein powder, it wouldn't be that bad for you if it doesn't contain heavy metals. Animals these days are pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, and contain all sorts of nasty stuff too. Just don't rely on the shakes for all your meals; eat a diverse range of food. 

Edited by anarc

4 hours ago, anarc said:

Is there a mental health group at your college you can join? Or can you talk to your roommate, if you have one? If you do end up getting protein powder, it wouldn't be that bad for you if it doesn't contain heavy metals. Animals these days are pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, and contain all sorts of nasty stuff too. Just don't rely on the shakes for all your meals; eat a diverse range of food. 

Hmm depends on where you are, in Canada growth hormones are illegal, and animals aren't allowed to produce milk or other products when on antibiotics under threat of hefty fines.

6 hours ago, depressedamber said:
Advertisement

I don't have any friends in college.. I was considering buying protein shakes for my room to replace meals and having to go to the cafeteria by myself. I feel like everyone is judging me..no matter what anyone tells me. I just want to get my degree and get out..Im terribly depressed. If my mother knew how depressed I was college she would cry.

Probably not, you do need solid food or it might mess up your digestive system. I understand how hard it is to meet people when you're depressed and have low self esteem, but you'd be surprised at how open people can be if you can just manage to express yourself. What kinds of hobbies do you have? Most colleges have clubs organised by students for people with the same interests. Something fun, like a board games club, or an art club? If you don't feel comfortable speaking with people in person, there are plenty of IRC chatrooms and other places where people hang out and talk about their interests. In the last couple months I've met tons of new friends on an IRC chat I frequent, even if they're not physically there, I find a lot of my social needs are met through it (though I do have physical friends, too).

Hope you all the best, keep at it and don't give up!

Edited by Turnt

I think that that would be terrible nutritionally. You might end up losing lots of vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats and who knows what else. You might get weak and that doesn't help depression. Do you have a place where you can cook your own meal? If so, I highly recommend it. Even if you know nothing about cooking you can learn to cook the most basic meals pretty fast.

I know this is not solving the real problem but what about cooking meals for yourself? Do a few stable recipes but maybe once a week, go all out and do a new dish. I am just saying as I feel if you cook a meal you appreciate it better and it sure feels good. Throw on some music as you cook.

But the crux of the issue is your depression. I do hope you can open up and let someone know who can help, be it someone here or , more beneficially, someone you know. You are worth it and definitely it is crucial that you recognise you can enjoy your youth.

Edited by StoniumFrog

I never made friends until my last year, when I enrolled in a class that basically forces you to talk to people (Japanese). I used to eat in the library or during classes. I think I might have eaten in the cafeteria like once. Btw, if you can, make use of the campus mental health facilities. I was able to get really cheap therapy sessions there. If you have a bus pass, can you get food at a grocery store or something like that? Maybe this would be a good way to explore the town.

University was when I started to get less self-conscious doing stuff on my own and actually enjoy it - hope you can do the same :smile:

Hey, Amber,

My experience at college was very similar to yours. I ended up almost not eating entirely due to the social anxiety I experienced in the cafeteria. I also had a very hard time sleeping. I ended up losing a ton of weight, my hair started falling out in clumps. I started college on the Dean's List but with the depression and lack of sleep I had a really hard time concentrating enough to read and remember things. I ended up more or less having a massive nervous breakdown, took a medical leave and eventually withdrew.

I waited to reach out for help because I thought I could handle it all on my own. My mother didn't understand because for her college was the "best time of her life." If I had to do it all again I would have reached out for help a lot sooner. I would have followed the recommendations of the therapists at the campus counseling center. If your college has one I would definitely take advantage of their services. They have a vested interest in seeing you succeed.

I wonder if it is possible to get your meal "to go" at the cafeteria? I would do this sometimes, with a sandwich or something, or use my meal credits at a campus cafe. There are probably other people there that feel like you do so that is something to take heart in. 

Glad to have you here with us, Amber!

Xo, C

Could you pick up sacked lunches from the school?  Maybe store healthy and fresh snacks in your room?  Do you have a fridge or microwave?  There are so many great steamed items that can be cooked with the simplicity of a microwave!

Out of a depressive state of my weight I had changed my diet to consist of protein drinks solely. I lost weight in an unhealthy manner, my energy took a loss and it was hard being able to focus and get through the days. It's not a healthy way eat. ❤️