Waiting12

Need Advice Please. Paxil CR 12.5 mg for 19 days.

Hi everyone, I'm new here & looking for some words of encouragement. I'm a female in my 20's & I started Paxil CR 12.5 mg 19 days ago for generalized anxiety disorder. Since taking it my anxiety has been higher than even before I went to the doctor to get help for my anxiety. Also have been feeling rather depressed and have had a few crying spells. I'm not sure if that is Paxil related or just because I'm tired of feeling this way. Sometimes I think I'll be stuck this way forever. 

When I first started Paxil CR I had literally every single side effect. I couldn't eat (I've lost about 15 pounds), very bad stomach pain, dizziness, jaw clenching, sweating, dry mouth, ringing in ears, foggy brain, anxiety through the roof to the point where I didn't want to leave my house, I still haven't returned to work. I still have diarrhea, my appetite is getting better but not back to normal. Also I just feel so restless, on edge, and my sleeping isn't very good. I will fall asleep around 11 pm and wake at 330 with no hopes of returning to sleep. 

So, my question is: is this medication making me worse or do I keep suffering along waiting for it to help this anxiety?

I know 19 days isn't long but it has been the worst 2 and a half weeks of my life. I feel totally helpless, unmotivated and scared! Also I know I'm on a low dose, but am scared to go up to 25mg due to having to suffer all of the side effects and the through the roof anxiety again. Medication really freaks me out, especially when I have bad enough anxiety and this med is making me feel like I need to pace around all day which is not good because I'm a full time college student. 

I should mention my anxiety level now isn't as bad as days 4-10. Those days it was constant, now it seems to always be there but at a lower level and every few hours or so will spike for about an hour. BUT, my anxiety is still higher now than my original anxiety I had before I started on this.

Is this normal or am I going absolutely mad? When did Paxil or your ssri alieviate your anxiety?

Thank you for any replies!

Edited by Waiting12

Anybody have any words of wisdom? I'm now on day 24 and feel so depressed. I've been crying off and on all day. I never had depression before I started on Paxil, only anxiety. My anxiety is worse than before as well. 

Is this not the drug for me?

is it too soon to tell?

do I need a higher dose or will that make things worse?

Anxiety and depression can be side effects before the medication begins to work. Anxiety will always make you feel the worst and constantly think about the worst things. You should take xanax or lorazepam during the very anxious episodes and it will definitely help. I used lorazepam to help sleep through the night and go out during the day. I had crippling anxiety before I started taking it. 

Same thing happens with me when I'm starting an SSRI. I end up feeling way worse than ever before finally feeling better. Klonopin helps me. I've never responded to xanax for some reason. Everyone is different. 

Anyway, to answer your questions, you are not going mad. And my SSRI just started to kind of help on a more consistent basis sometime during week 4. I'm currently on week 5. Weeks 2 and 3 were seriously awful. You'll probably get to a point when you have some good moments, followed by more bad ones, and then eventually things should even out. Hang in there : )