Sign in to follow this  
Paws94

Just prescribed Zoloft

Yes we definitely have our work cut out for us! Awesome I love the name Phoenix! My anxiety feels similar to yours. Sometimes I will all of a sudden just have a rush of fear come over me. Little things that wouldn't normally cause me a huge source of stress will stress me out and I'll panic. For instance I will think about having to help my daughter with her homework and I'm super tired, I will almost get like an adrenaline rush and fear comes over me because I'm afraid that we won't get it done. Silly I know..but that was just one example. Sometimes I'm just so keyed up for absolutely no reason but I feel fearful a lot. It's the worst in the morning right when I open my eyes. The first thoughts in my head are oh no its morning I'm about to feel like ...and then bam anxiety!

Lol anxiety is messed up. We think about not getting them that we think too much and get them. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow so I'm going to tell her to bump me up to 50 mg. I think im ready to handle. Are you sleeping well? 

I'm only a week into zoloft (2nd time) and I don't know if I can take this fatigue anymore. I'm sleeping way more than in my normal anxious/depressed state and not doing critical work. 

The first time I took zoloft (for ~3 months), lethargy was the reason I had to quit too (doc refused to rx wellbutrin as an add-on). I'm just surprised it's hitting so hard so fast this time.

Fab- let me know how the transition to 40mg goes. I've been of 50mg since 9/3 so about 9 days and I'm still experiencing increased anxiety and still a bit of depression. I was on 25mg for 2 weeks before I jumped to 50 and am starting to wonder if I need another increase or if I just need to switch meds. Ugh the trial and error thing sucks! I have had horrible insomnia since starting zoloft. I can usually get 5 or 6 hours of sleep if I take hydroxy zine. How are u sleeping fab?

Chasing happiness- are you suffering from increased anxiety in the morning? I wish I was sleeping too much rather not enough. I'm pregnant so that is probably another reason for my insomnia. When you were on sertraline before in the past did it help with your anxiety/depression  in spite of the increased lethargy?

Jury's still out, but progress here.  I started Aug. 1, but the severe anxiety didn't smack me for four weeks - like a head-on collision - and then subsided.

Noticed changes in my thinking/mood/stamina around weeks 5-6.  I take it around noon with my HIV meds so there's food in my stomach.

I'll note that I was initially prescribed 100mg by my regular doc who then upped it to 200mg a couple weeks later.  Reading some of the anecdotal evidence here on DF about people's difficulties when lowering dosage, I decided to stick with 100mg until I get with a pdoc next week.  I'm glad I did.

I'm still adjusting b/c now I find I can get things done without thinking about them over and over, feeling paralyzed.  It's a feeling I haven't had in a long time and a bit disconcerting.  I posted elsewhere I'm concerned about overdoing.

I found that taking mine right before bed helped with the initial anxiety I was feeling throughout the day,  but did not help my sleep:/ no sleep is actually why I swapped to early morning. I have read a lot about taking it before bed decreasing unwanted side effects throughout the day, though!

I heard that too paws buy I'm terrified of not getting sleep so that's why I keep taking it in the morning. The panic and heightened anxiety is usually right when I wake up and lasts maybe an hour or two and then gets a little bit better as the day goes on.

Linzee, I struggle with general anxiety but mornings are the worst. Before Zoloft, I took Lexapro for 4 months and I had to quit that because of irresolvable insomnia. Good thing is that both SSRIs worked well in that they blunted the range of emotion and so gave me relief. But I ended up stopping because I had already improved a lot by that time and the side effects were too much.

Doc has told me that anxiety/depression sufferers are prone to relapse which is why they prefer patients to stay on the meds all the time. I would if not for the side effects which did not resolve after several months.

I'm going to stick with Zoloft for another week to see if lethargy improves.

Chasinghappiness-  yeah the insomnia on some of these AD is just horrible. If we don't get enough sleep it makes anxiety worse! My doc tried to warn me about relapse when i wanted off AD in the past but I really felt I was in a great place and didn't need them any more. Boy was she right, I was fine for about a month and then it spiraled out of control. 

Hi I am new here. I was prescribed Sertraline which I think is also called Lustral or maybe Zoloft in the States. I started on 25 mgs 10 days ago and three days ago upped that to 50mgs. I have never taken medication before so I am very nervous of this. I was experiencing ridiculous anxiety and I just got tired of being so wrung out. I wake at 4am and am zinging with anxiety. I am hoping this will go down. I might even space my dose out taking 25mgs in the morning and 25 mgs in the evening. I am so glad you are all here discussing it as I was searching the internet trying to find others in the same boat as me. I am doing therapy as well so I am trying to sort out the causes as well as the symptoms.

Hi TiredBlue, it is not uncommon that doctors will prescribe an additional, temporary medication to help with the startup anxiety - you could ask about it if it's intolerable. Regarding taking the dose in two intervals - I don't think that's recommended due to needing to reach a therapeutic threshold. Also it's commonly recommended that one switches the time to either the morning or evening to deal with side effects. Seems like you'd get the bad end of the stick to spread it throughout the day. Hope you're feeling better!

Two or whatever years ago, I started Sertraline which is Zoloft's generic brand.  25mg a day.  It's wonderful for me!  I still have bouts of depression here and there, but it's gotten rid of my anxiety which in turned lessened the depression I had anyway.  It's also regulated my moods a lot better.

I haven't felt side effects, but some people will say it bothers their stomach.

Hi Tay!!

it took about 2 weeks for me to notice any difference and then about a month and a half before I could confidently tel a difference in myself with meds and myself before meds. 

I have not posted here in awhile and I just went back and read my initial post, and wow. Just wow. This medication has done so much for me in the short time I have been on it. I am so very grateful for it. I was in such a hopeless state then.

Yes, I still have days where I am anxious and my brain does not shut up. But the depression is few and far between and NOTHING compared to what it was. 

My family can tell a difference as well. It has allowed me to be the person I really am without depression.

good luck! And feel free to ask any questions you might have :)