Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

The "How Do You Feel Right Now?" (4)

Oh my dear DF friends... so I have a whopper of a story to tell you. I have been a victim of fraud, major fraud, and once I tell this story you're going to think I am soooooo stupid and sooooooo naive, but that's OK... I think I am stupid and naive!!! Maybe you'll be disgusted too.. I sure am. I still feel slightly traumatized by the incident.

So yesterday I received a message from the "IRS" stating that I have committed tax evasion fraud and that I am being sued by the IRS. So I called the number back immediately, feeling scared. They said they had sent notices, that I ignored, and now there's a warrant out for my arrest. And if I don't comply, they will have me arrested and seize my bank accounts and any other assets. Feeling suspicious at one point during the call, because there was a lot of background noise and the call came originally from NM but was routed to DC, I said this is fraud... they hung up on me, and then I get a call from the police, a 911 number, saying the IRS says you have committed fraud, you can either come down the station or we'll come get you. So I said let me try to call the IRS back and work it out with them. So the "police"  said OK. I called the IRS back, and complied. I followed their instructions to go to my bank and remove $5200, the amount I owed. Then I followed their instructions to try and find another bank to deposit the money to the IRS immediately in order to remove the arrest warrant under my name. I went to several banks, which were all closed. Their final solution was to have me go to Target, buy $5200 worth of gift cards, and give them the numbers on the back.

The whole time, they had me keep them on the phone without being able to talk to anyone else about it. They said no third party could know at this time. In the back of my mind, I felt it was a fraud, but the police calling me directly to arrest me scared the hell out of me. But I went back and forth on it. The entire incident went on for three hours in total.

After giving them the numbers of the gift cards, I thought to call the local police on another phone and ask if there was a warrant out for my arrest. Thank God I did this. They said I had been a victim of fraud, and came to my house. So quickly, I canceled all the gift cards with Target, froze the money, then drove back to Target to try and get a full cash refund. Normally, the store will only allow you a store credit. Well, I told the managers of Target the whole story, and they refunded me the full amount of $5200!

So I also called back the thieves and left them a message saying, I've closed out the cards, I know you are frauds, the police are onto you and I'm going to the station now. Of course some swear words were inserted into my message as well. HEHE.

So now today I need to go to the police station to fill out an Affidavit of the incident to protect myself further, ie, of possible identity theft since these low life thieves now have my info, excluding my social security number.

UNBELIEVABLE. I am so lucky that i got my $$ back, it was almost everything I had in savings, and I need that money!

So .... lesson learned, but how completely stupid and naive can I be????? I have no street smarts. What an idio.t I am... =( I am just glad I got all my money back though... thanks for reading, if you made it this far!!!

Edited by RiverLight

16 minutes ago, ladysmurf said:

I wish I knew how I could burn all my goals and hobbies in flames, considering I'll never feel better, or even have what it takes to move forward in this life.

You know, I've been thinking about you and your situation due to a close friend who is now applying for disability because of her physical condition and she can no longer work. She is Buddhist... as am I now again (to an extent)... she and I were talking about the concept of "attachment".. that our attachments to our desires are the root of our misery, pain & suffering... she says she is still very much attached to the concept of financial security, and is having trouble accepting what is now happening in her life, ie, that she needs to live on lesser means yet she is clinging to the notion that she cannot be happy without money and security.... so we've been talking about the Buddhist concept of letting go of all our attachment to things we desire, in order to eradicate the suffering and pain that the attachment causes, and learning how to actually be happy with what we have.

I think it's a really interesting concept and I like the thought, though I am struggling right now with letting go of my own attachments that are causing me pain and misery right now... so I don't really know the practical answer of how to let go...

this probably doesn't help you now, but just thought I would share it with you anyways.

BIG HUGS!:hugs:

Edited by RiverLight

Thanks River.

I am a very low point right now. I even thought about overdosing yesterday. I'm afraid to tell my doctor because I'm afraid they might hospitalize me and I don't want to deal with that again. Maybe traveling might help. FL or LA

Still scared.  Will it come back?  Has it come back?  How will I get by?

@RiverLight  sorry about that scam, but glad you got your money back.  Amazing people in the world, not!

Attachment IS the source of pain.  There is no doubt about that.  Yet, we live in a culture that sells, sells, sells YOU NEED THIS and YOU NEED TO BE THIS every second of every minute.  I too try to practice it.  But it's hard.

Hi there DF comrades...I haven't been around in quite a while and just wanted to say hello. I started a second job about a month ago (delivery for OrderUp) and between that and my primary job have been putting in about 70 hours a week. So not much time for internet (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Depression is still muddying the waters, but I am learning to live/cope with it. Working as much as I am keeps me distracted enough to keep it (depression) from overwhelming me...it is more background static these days. Some days it is louder than others, but I do my best to tune it out.

I am sorry so many of you are suffering so badly..I wish I could take all of your pain away. It is sad to watch your friends suffer, knowing you have little to offer in the way of relief. This is such a horrible horrible disease. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I hope things get better for everyone. No one should have to suffer like this day after day after day. You are all in my thoughts. Be gentle with yourselves, and take comfort in knowing you aren't alone.

Peace, Tim

42 minutes ago, salparadise6132 said:

Still scared.  Will it come back?  Has it come back?  How will I get by?

@RiverLight  sorry about that scam, but glad you got your money back.  Amazing people in the world, not!

Attachment IS the source of pain.  There is no doubt about that.  Yet, we live in a culture that sells, sells, sells YOU NEED THIS and YOU NEED TO BE THIS every second of every minute.  I too try to practice it.  But it's hard.

Hang in there, Brian!!!! And thanks re: the scam.. truly unebelievable!

Attachment is most surely the source of pain. Now to just learn how to practice the art of non-attachment, and we'd all be happier no?

well i am in a rather good mood which is extremely wierd because on monday i have decided to send my boyfriend this message...

dance dance dance

Dear ******..
I have tried... I have tried to be the loving caring affectionate boyfriend we all deserve..I may not drive or have a job right now.. But those things can be fixed.. I was there for you when everything went down last week... And I stuck by your side when people were telling me to run.. I don't know what else I can do for you anymore... I have tried to contact you several times and I would be extremely lucky if I got a response... The lack of not knowing has finally got to me so here I am ...writing this letter to you.. Its now three days after I sent you the message on grindr.. And you receiving this means I have made the decision for us ... I am sorry ****** I can't keep living in a world of mystery sadness and depression... I hope you find what you need from life..
Sincerely,

40 minutes ago, chasinghappiness said:

I wish I could talk to people about my circumstances without always breaking down into tears. It is embarrassing. I feel like people prefer to help the strong and determined, not the weak.

CH: know you can speak to us about anything ^_^ even if its embarrassing you wont get criticized ok luvie?

12 minutes ago, CoolCat7 said:

@RiverLight   Wow.  I'm SO glad you called the police and found out that it was fraud.  It's so important that anyone who gets a call like this, from someone purporting to be from a bank or other institution, says "hang on, what's your full name, I'll call you back at the main number," then gets the official number for that institution and calls to see if there is really someone who works for them by that name, and verifies that the information that person gave them is correct. 

One of my friends was the victim of identity theft and actually did have the police come to her house to arrest her.  Luckily it got sorted out but resulted in some headaches for her calling credit agencies and so on.

No kidding right???? That's great advice for future situations thanks! I had a friend who dealt with an identity fraud issue which took years to resolve along with numerous massive headaches.., it is horrendous and disgusting what these ppl can pull off. I filed an official police report today, blocked their numbers on my phone because they kept calling and harassing me today, called the credit card ppl for fraud alert and then have to alert my bank and the IRS on Monday. What a royal pain! Grrrrrrr. I'm so sickened by it 

7 minutes ago, CoolCat7 said:

So sorry that happened to you.  At least it is almost resolved.  I really, really hate fraudsters.  They basically scammed my mother out of 50K.  They cause so much harm to the most vulnerable, especially seniors.

Anyway, hopefully they will get shut down thanks in part to your actions! 

50k???? Holy crap. That is so awful!!! Yes seniors are especially vulnerable to these creeps. I hope the work I've done will help but unfortunately I think they'll just move onto the next victim... Grrrrrrrr! 

Feeling tired. I have been awake since 9:30 pm Friday night. It's now 4:40 pm on Saturday. Did have a nice time out but when we got home my Gigi girl (My doggy) gave me a real scare. She was acting funny and I was a bit worried. She is now back to her normal self, cheery and sweet. She is very anxiety ridden like me so I worry. I think she may have had a panic attack.  I know I talk about her a lot but I can't have children and Gigi and my kitties are my babies!!

Wow @RiverLight what a craptastic thing to happen to you. I am glad you cut them off when you did and told the police. Ugh. Sometimes life forces you to have to deal with all the red tape that goes with this...okay, I'd say Mercury Retrograde has hit you pretty hard, my friend. 

There are forces for good in the world and sending strength and courage as you cope with this.

:hugs:

10 hours ago, CoolCat7 said:

Sorry to hear it, Aki.  (((((((hugs)))))))

:console: hugs back thanks for that Cool Cat I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Harvester of Sorrow ~

I've loved, turned to hate. Trapped far beyond my fate. I give, you take. 

This life that I forsake. Been cheated of my youth. You've turned this lie to truth... Anger, misery. You'll suffer unto me. 

How a person feels inside after so many bad experiences in friendships/relationships... a person who you thought was your closest friend... turns around and blocks you on their phone for no apparent reason. Giving you the cold shoulder only for you to wonder only to wonder... why? What did I do to deserve this? 

About a year ago the very same thing happened to me by a person who I thought we had a close bond and all in one day left me without a goodbye without anything? Left me with only bitter memories and wondering why? 

I don't know anymore... I don't think it's worth it trusting anyone anymore. The quote "Don't get too close to anyone nor trust, remember the Devil himself was once an angel"

Pain and hurt make you a stronger person but it also makes you cold and numb until you no longer have nothing to lose or care about.

Edited by Aki Sky

10 hours ago, CoolCat7 said:

Those posts should be reported to a mod.  There's no call to be dumping on other members who are only trying to do their best.  I know someone just referred to my beliefs as "delusion" when I said that (pre-depression) I saw life as wondrous and full of hope.

Yes, I saw that, and that was one of the threads I was referring to.  I'm sorry you've had to deal with rudeness on the forums, CoolCat.  You don't deserve it.

I get that people are suffering, but there's no justification for that.

I used to be someone who was negative all the time, but many things have happened since then.  For one thing, each time I've thought life couldn't get any worse, it has, and I've looked back and realized that I didn't appreciate what I had when I had it.  I also realized that being negative wasn't helping me in any way, and was perhaps even stifling any positive growth that could conceivably occur.

When I was someone who was negative all the time, I'd often think that people saying "be more positive" was just obnoxious, but I would usually keep that opinion to myself.  Eventually, I realized that they weren't trying to dismiss my suffering, they were trying to lead me to hope. 

You can have hope, or you can not have hope, but it sure makes life suck to not have any hope for anything.  I'd like for my life to suck less, so I'm opting to have a little hope.

21 hours ago, scienceguy said:

Im pretty mad bitter just told my sister I get  jealous of her. She has always been one of those people who have a bunch of friends she is always on the phone and I hear her all day through her door having a ball. Makes me miesarble I honestly feel like getting in my car holding my finger out and flipping everyone off while im driving, telling everyone  I ever new from highschool college that has a better life then me to go **** themselves. I want to start ranting about how I hate mylife and how its not fair I ended up like this.  Borderline personaility disorder sucks!! No body has given a about me in years in my life and it has turned into unbearable bitterness and jealousy

Hugs to you, scienceguy.  :console:

13 hours ago, chasinghappiness said:

I wish I could talk to people about my circumstances without always breaking down into tears. It is embarrassing. I feel like people prefer to help the strong and determined, not the weak.

Strange how that works, isn't it? :glare:

Hugs to you, chasinghappiness. :console: