Timmyu

Have you been officially diagnosed with ADHD?

I feel like I am in an uphill struggle to get my doctors to see that I have ADHD. All my symptoms blend with anxiety, depression and ADHD, but all the treatments for anxiety and depression don't seem to pan out. I believe the stigma of ADHD is holding my doctors back from diagnosing me. Anyone, that has been diagnosed with adult ADHD, have any advice? 

i have been diagnosed wtih adhd as a child and add as an adult. advice is to be honest, see a psychologist and have an ADD test done and present it to your doctor or see a psychiatrist and get a script that way.

diagnosed as an adult with adhd. tested at age 21. i showed signs as a child but they didnt know anything in the early 80s. i have a comment on my grade1 report card: "****** likes to have instructions repeated especially for her."

get tested if possible. then your docs can suck it.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 3 or 4 and put on pills. Usually you do not diagnose a kid with ADHD until they are in school usually first grade so about 8 years old but I was a very special case. I am still diagnosed with ADHD to this day. First of all I heard that it is more common to have ADD as an adult rather than ADHD, because my Psychiatrist said the Hyperactivity usually goes away once an adult. But that isn't the case for all people and definitely not the case for me.

My advice is to find things that help you concentrate and not get up or down a lot. So far me I chew gum, or play with things in my hand, I also sometimes have to doodle to be able to pay attention. I would just try different things until they work for you.

I would also tell your doctor about the symptoms you are having and then they can tell you what they think. But remember a regular doctor doesn't have much knowledge into this stuff. A Psychologist is better for diagnosing and giving you the right treatment.

I’ve had a few different psychiatrists theorize that I might have ADHD. I never quite took it seriously until I finally looked into it myself. What most struck a chord with me when I looked over the symptoms is the aggressiveness, and explosive frustration you feel have when discouraged. I never had a teacher as a child suggest I might have ADD, even though I did quite poorly in school until I was in the sixth grade. This seems especially strange considering I was a kid in the late 90s-early 2000s when ADD was a hot topic. 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, Rattler6 said:

I think that it is something that is over-diagnosed.  Especially in young men.  I was diagnosed with it but it was later ruled a false diagnosis. 

this.

furthermore, the actual diagnostic criteria for adult ADD is woeful. (to be fair this is true of a lot of mental illnesses)

the better question is "to what end do you want a positive diagnosis?" . if it's just for the medication, you can literally just keep shopping till you find a pdoc who will prescribe (it won't be a long search).

OP is correct in that many of these symptoms overlap between a variety of mental illnesses - it almost doesn't matter whether you "actually" have ADD, you just need to identify the symptoms you want relief from and find the appropriate help you need for them.