Sign in to follow this  
axl617

Is there at time too late to start anti-depressants?

Hey all. So I'm at the point of MDD where I guess I've become one of those people who doesn't really care about it anymore, when you suffer so long you just lose all hope and don't care about living anymore. It's a shame, because I've had depression for 4 years and was always one of those optimistic "it can get better, there will be new medicine coming out" people. But now I totally get the pessimists, you can't really find value in life when you're disconnected from it for so long, depression kills that part of you.

I've started taking Remeron as of last night, I gave mainstream antidepressants a shot early on (lexapro and zoloft) but found them useless. My only regret I guess is not staying with the medical route, I bought in to the 'natural way is best' outlook and wasted years on useless supplements and 'healthy living' as advised by idiots who don't understand depression as a medical condition. I'm basically living like a monk, I haven't even had a drink in over 6 months, my day consists of meditation, exercise, paleo eating, shoving useless supplements down my throat (vitamin D, magnesium, 5-htp, agmantine, sarcosine, etc etc, I've exhausted the entire list), I've tried more novel treatments like LSD, illegal drug, MDMA, ketamine and ibogaine. The only thing that remains is my low-mood, I'm probably worse than ever, and partially because I tried so many things.

So I don't know, maybe a lesson for others who are starting off with mood issues, go for what works, what has peer-reviewed evidence, and don't quit if it doesn't work, give everything a try for at least 6 weeks and keep at it with therapy and combinations if need be. The weight of this illness does take its toll if left untreated, my existential outlook has changed to seeing life as suffering rather than something enjoyable, and I lasted this long only because my life really was a gift before depression set in.

Not sure what I'm trying to achieve with the Remeron, last ditch effort? I don't know if it's possible to treat depression without a 'can-do' attitude, and I certainly took mine for granted.

Medications for depression don't work right away. You're talking about brain chemistry here - it takes some time for the medications to balance things out for you. Give it some time, usually a few weeks, and see if you feel differently then. They aren't like a magic pill that will change your mood whenever you feel like it (happy pills). Just keep in touch with your doctor about it, if you aren't feeling the medication is effective you could try another one - every one is different so it's difficult to pinpoint which medications are effective for each patient when it comes to this disorder. A lot of people take some combination of several medications, even.

Edited by Turnt

15 hours ago, axl617 said:
vertisement

The weight of this illness does take its toll if left untreated, my existential outlook has changed to seeing life as suffering rather than something enjoyable, and I lasted this long only because my life really was a gift before depression set in.

You sound a lot like me...I went through a 7 month 25 day Bipolar trip and the only thing that got me through was loud music. I got better though because of 2 meds. Honestly, don't give up, I just recently got better and let me tell you...life is worth living and it can all get better in a matter of days once you find the right med. Depression is a living hell but everything can change so quick once you get your brain under control.