Sign in to follow this  
louis2008

How to deal with the "internet anger"?

A lot of time no matter what you say in the forums, there must be somebody who is replying 

something that I would describe it as - "They want to start a fight"

If they just say foul language alone, I really don't care at all. Because it's often heard.

But some of them would say something that is so ridiculous and unreasonable while they are so proud of themselves and feeling that they are a great someone in the world. It really pi**es me off.

For example, in a forum, I just said I hate meat after getting to eat more vegetables. Nothing else offending any people.

I use one sentence to share the happiness I have after eating more vegetables in hope of affecting the other to try to eat less meat.

A couple of Barstewards then said a lot of ridiculous and ironic things to me like "It won't help you any if you don't respect people". or "Oh really, but you'll probably die earlier". We are not speaking English, but it's actually what they mean.

If they just said foul language, I would not care. When they say something so targeted. I feel so p***** off

How to deal with the anger and emotion

Hi Louis,

Because of severe tendinitis in my hands, I'm afraid I cannot respond well to your very valid comments.  I feel that civility is difficult in the best of circumstances.  Even those who receive educations in diplomacy often fall short of it.  I aim for it myself and fall horribly short of it.

Since this is a Depression Forum where many members are afflicted with brain illnesses or psychological disturbances, perhaps civility and diplomacy is even more difficult.  I am no authority on anything, but my experience here on the DF is that most people I encounter are quite civil while everyone seems to have their "off" days. 

The TOS [Terms of Service] of this site sets the limits where excursions beyond civility are not tolerated.  The Mods here do a good job, in my opinion of keeping civility especially in trying situations.  You can report a post that you believe violates the TOS of these Forums and Mods and Administrators will arbitrate.

in my opinion, which could be quite wrong[!] depression can sometimes present as a deep desire to "start a fight" or "make someone pay" for some past hurt.  So I personally "expect" and am not surprised at the occasional lack of civility and diplomacy I find in some posts, including my own! 

I suspect it is part of the vicious circle of depression, I think to have situations where we are extremely sensitive and easily hurt combined with situations where people are venting and losing some civility and diplomacy in the process.  I have been both hurt and someone who has surely said "the wrong thing" in many of my own posts.  So I am very sorry for the unhappy situation you are experiencing Louis. Really sorry!!!  Best to you!  - epictetus

To Epictetus, Please do not misunderstand what I mean, I do not mean I am having any unhappy experience here on DF forum. DF forum is, on the other hand, more civil and understanding in my opinion. 

I think some people just get enjoyment out of upsetting other people. My kids told me there is a term for that, it is called trolling. When you realize that this is just a game for these people and their main goal is to get you to respond to their crap, it won't affect you so much. Please don't let it bother you, idiots will be idiots. :)

On 8/2/2016 at 10:36 AM, louis2008 said:
Advertisement

A lot of time no matter what you say in the forums, there must be somebody who is replying 

something that I would describe it as - "They want to start a fight"

If they just say foul language alone, I really don't care at all. Because it's often heard.

But some of them would say something that is so ridiculous and unreasonable while they are so proud of themselves and feeling that they are a great someone in the world. It really pi**es me off.

For example, in a forum, I just said I hate meat after getting to eat more vegetables. Nothing else offending any people.

I use one sentence to share the happiness I have after eating more vegetables in hope of affecting the other to try to eat less meat.

A couple of Barstewards then said a lot of ridiculous and ironic things to me like "It won't help you any if you don't respect people". or "Oh really, but you'll probably die earlier". We are not speaking English, but it's actually what they mean.

If they just said foul language, I would not care. When they say something so targeted. I feel so p***** off

How to deal with the anger and emotion

I have dealt with forums and online communities where the people would usually act toxic and such and I think it's best that you stay away from forums like that. Here, at depression forums, we're here to help one another. Just like dealing with a bully, it's best to walk away from the situation and move on, just to show that you're the bigger person.

I know what you mean, and you find the trolls everywhere. The most toxic and hatefull online community I was ever part of was a baby forum. It was supposed to be about everything from trying to get pregnat to kids in school...moms and dads suppurting eachother and sharing their stories. It was instead all about shaming and majority rules...what was in one day was out the next. They would openly make fun of someone in the 'wrong', even make seperate posts about them to make sure everyone knew.

I have no idea why people do this to eachother and keep feeding the trolls. I left before anyone even knew I was there, reading a few posts was more than enough. And I think that is all you can do, leave the tixidity behind, and let them fester with eachother. 

On 2016/8/11 at 8:05 AM, Maluhalu said:

I know what you mean, and you find the trolls everywhere. The most toxic and hatefull online community I was ever part of was a baby forum. It was supposed to be about everything from trying to get pregnat to kids in school...moms and dads suppurting eachother and sharing their stories. It was instead all about shaming and majority rules...what was in one day was out the next. They would openly make fun of someone in the 'wrong', even make seperate posts about them to make sure everyone knew.

I have no idea why people do this to eachother and keep feeding the trolls. I left before anyone even knew I was there, reading a few posts was more than enough. And I think that is all you can do, leave the tixidity behind, and let them fester with eachother. 

Baby forum. Yeah, You are right!!!! 

Here in my country there is a local forum that is about mum and parents and family. All people there are really so horribly ridiculous for their words used.

The minor examples you gave didn't seem to give off any hostile vibe, rather they're just opinions in responce to what you've wrote. Everyone is entitled to their own, it's how you react that'll determine a peaceful outcome or not. What's great about the internet is that at any given moment, you can simply walk away. 

As someone who also gets triggered into anger by people posting rude things, I've found the best way is literally to just exit the webpage. Or close the computer. The great thing about the internet is you can literally walk away. You can choose to stop looking at it, and stop reading what they say. The more you read it, the more angry you might become.

Edited by Chubbybunny89

On 8/11/2016 at 2:05 AM, Maluhalu said:

It was instead all about shaming and majority rules...what was in one day was out the next. They would openly make fun of someone in the 'wrong', even make seperate posts about them to make sure everyone knew.

I wouldn't call that trolling, that's just insensitive jerks who are convinced that they're smarter than everybody else and will vocally defend their opinion. They feel brave behind their keyboard and seek validation from others who share their opinion of what is "right." Don't think that they actively seek to hurt you. 

Trolls are far more sinister, they're sadists whose sole motivation is to hurt others to satisfy their dark desires. They don't really care what's right or wrong and what they spew is unlikely to be what they believe, they'll just say the most despicable and hurtful thing they can think of to be sure they get a reaction out of you.