Sign in to follow this  
Rocker

People who say we are creating a generation of victims

I've seen this post on FB before, and it is so infuriating. They say that we will never get rid of bullying, and we are creating a generation of victims. Whoever said that has obviously never been ganged up on by 15 people at once every day for years. Right, try standing up for yourself and let me know how that works for you.

If someone tries to invalidate you by saying, "Hey, I was bullied too, but I got over it," ask them the following questions:

1. How old were you when the bullying started?

2. How many bullies were involved?

3. How long did it last?

4. How did it end?

Let's say it started for them when they were 16, 4 people were involved, and lasted a few months. That means they had several years of their life to learn social skills, coping mechanisms, and other ways to stand up for themselves. For me it started as early as Kindergarten and lasted until early high school. It was pretty much my entire class.

So if someone tries to tell you to get over it, they are not the person to talk to. Everyone is wired differently, and everyone handles stress differently.

Chris

On 2016-07-21 at 7:12 PM, Rocker said:
Advertisement

1. How old were you when the bullying started?

2. How many bullies were involved?

3. How long did it last?

4. How did it end?

It really is a shame when people try to shun valid concerns and issues by simply using phrases like "Get over it". Such phrases provide no solutions, such phrases instead only make the victim feel even more isolated.

I to was bullied, but thankfully for me it ended differently, it ended in a more positive light. To answer the questions above:

1. 9 or 10

2. Two people were involved. They usually ganged up on me.

3. One year.

4. It ended with me finally breaking down into tears in front of everyone during a free study session. I ran out of the class and basically cried my sorrows out. The bully several minutes later came out and actually apologized. That person then started to become friends with me, while it wasn't the greatest friendship, it was acceptable considering our experiences. The other bully just started maintaining his distance from me after that. And seeing as how their bullying never really got to an extreme level, I didn't really suffer any long term trauma or anxiety issues.

@Naitomea1224, thank you for sharing your story. I feel thankful that it wasn't worse than it was and that you weren't greatly affected by it later in life. But considering what you went through, it was enough to help you understand what it's like to be bullied as well as having compassion for people who go through it.