How to get through summer break

griffindoor

I absolutely hate summer break. School is a place where I can distract myself, socialize, and overall just have something to do. I get very good grades so it's also a place where I feel good about myself. Summer break is incredibly boring for me and I dread it each year. I go to a couple camps during the summer and I spend time with family and friends when I can, but most of the time I don't have much to do. Does anyone have any tips on how to get through summer break? I have roughly about six weeks left and I'm miserable. Maybe I'll start a summer bucket list. I've been reading, baking, doing yoga, playing video games, etc but it still doesn't make my break very enjoyable. For college students or people who hate breaks, what do you do to occupy yourself during long breaks? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I know exactly how you feel. I took summer classes. Not only did that allow me to graduate early, but it kept my mind occupied. This summer I have spent sitting at my parents' house, and I have emotionally suffered. I have found that hobbies don't help, as doing them doesn't help me achieve a long-term goal. They are merely for in-the-moment pleasure.

If you don't take classes, I recommend trying to survive each moment. Don't think about how many weeks are left; think about right now, and how you can make yourself feel better right now (which you already seem to be doing with your hobbies). Though be careful that you don't do anything that has long-term detrimental consequences. If you find that you aren't enjoying these activities, they probably aren't right for you. Don't force yourself to do things you don't like.

i'm in a similar position. i just hate summer in general. i'm a student in a bigger city and during summer i go back to my parents' house in the village.

what kind of games/books do you like? i've been playing witcher 3 and it's great. i also recommend Stardew Valley, it's a wonderful game. you can always binge watch a tv show. i'm currently watching the Wire and i like it very much. i'd also recommend Community, Parks & Rec, Sunny in Philadelphia,... you can learn to play an instrument, or learn a new language if that's your thing. learning to play the guitar is really easy and can be a lot of fun. are there opportunities to volunteer in your city? i also practice yoga. do you meditate? i'm using this great app called Headspace, it is an app with 10-minute guided meditations for every day.. i'm also listening to a crapton of podcasts, i can send you the links to inbox. 

On 7/19/2016 at 9:04 AM, Hermitic said:

I know exactly how you feel. I took summer classes. Not only did that allow me to graduate early, but it kept my mind occupied. This summer I have spent sitting at my parents' house, and I have emotionally suffered. I have found that hobbies don't help, as doing them doesn't help me achieve a long-term goal. They are merely for in-the-moment pleasure.

If you don't take classes, I recommend trying to survive each moment. Don't think about how many weeks are left; think about right now, and how you can make yourself feel better right now (which you already seem to be doing with your hobbies). Though be careful that you don't do anything that has long-term detrimental consequences. If you find that you aren't enjoying these activities, they probably aren't right for you. Don't force yourself to do things you don't like.

Thanks for your comment! I actually just enrolled in an online class this summer so I can get ahead in math for next year. I'm really hoping it helps!

On 7/20/2016 at 8:40 AM, virvellian said:

i'm in a similar position. i just hate summer in general. i'm a student in a bigger city and during summer i go back to my parents' house in the village.

what kind of games/books do you like? i've been playing witcher 3 and it's great. i also recommend Stardew Valley, it's a wonderful game. you can always binge watch a tv show. i'm currently watching the Wire and i like it very much. i'd also recommend Community, Parks & Rec, Sunny in Philadelphia,... you can learn to play an instrument, or learn a new language if that's your thing. learning to play the guitar is really easy and can be a lot of fun. are there opportunities to volunteer in your city? i also practice yoga. do you meditate? i'm using this great app called Headspace, it is an app with 10-minute guided meditations for every day.. i'm also listening to a crapton of podcasts, i can send you the links to inbox. 

I've been reading the Harry Potter series this summer, as well as some other books! I actually had a dream last night where I went to the library to find books, I'm such a nerd. Lately I've been playing GTA V and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, but I got a few new games as well. I don't meditate but I do yoga regularly. Meditation makes me very anxious! 

I feel the exact same way. I love college and school in general. This summer, I had a job, but had to quit abruptly due to my worsening depression and ptsd. So, I've been without work or anything to do. I have no friends either. Unfortunately, come the Fall semester, I will be stuck at home still (ill be commuting now after I transferred schools), but at least Ill have classes to occupy my time. 

This post made me feel not so alone in this, and for that I thank you for sharing. 

Edited by Knursingstudent

Although I'm not now a student, I do you notice the holidays because a lot of things stop such as evening classes or even having coffee and tea when I go to church.  I tried to spend time in busy places, even if I'm not out with anybody else, otherwise I get more lonely. 

I ran into the same problem a few years ago. It sounds like you've got some good ideas and a variety of interests. One thing I did was make it a goal to work on about five different things all summer AND every day. I made a spreadsheet with each activity having its own column and each day its own row. Every day, as long as I did some work an area, I checked it off. I usually got to 4-5 of the 5 in a given day and I felt better about myself as I went along because I could see that I was making progress every day and not just wasting my summer. 

You say you like to read. Are you on GoodReads? If not, consider joining. You can make virtual shelves, rate books, get recommendations. I enjoy quantifying the books I've read in a lifetime and doing yearly reading challenges, but maybe you aren't that nerdy. Pinterest is the ultimate time killer. It helps me create positive visions of the present and future  

You can look around the house for things to sell to a consignment shop (those are popular here) to free up a little cash and space. 

Cleaning is another good one. I sweep, dust, etc. and it makes a much more pleasant environment  in which to live. The people I live with appreciate it.

Answering questions on Yahoo answers and accumulating points was fun, though I don't know whether it's still a popular place. 

Good luck! 

I'm in the exact same boat! I'm currently waiting through my last summer in an abusive household before I make my escape via going to University in September.

I have a part time job (which I'm quitting in a few weeks to go to Uni!) so, to try and combat the depression, I try and work some more hours as it keeps my mind occupied and there is the added bonus of more money to go into my bank account for University. This has tended to backfire on me a tiny little bit though, due to the fact they've put me in for WAY too many hours and it's actually making me feel worse - but just take on a couple more hours here and there.

Been trying to loose some weight to please my family too - and I've actually been spending a lot of time out of the house on walks since Pokemon Go came out! I'm not sure if that's your thing, but that's really helped me stay active while socializing - everywhere you look, people are doing it! I'm actually about to go out in a minute, just pulling myself together enough to shower and eat before I go.

I've been playing a lot of video games and catching up with reading, too - but I completely get what you mean by the "in the moment" - I feel like that most days. Been binge watching Bleach (my absolutely favorite anime!) and fallen in love with it all over again.

Just...the only advice I can give is take one day at a time. I like to have a countdown app on my phone which counts down the days, too! 

Always around for a chat.

When I was working i use to take more hours at my job so I wouldn't be as bored If I wasn't broke and saving up to pay for college I would have been going out of my house more I mostly bought video games on sale bought books on sale I guess I would shop and try to find a good deal on everything, I would go on youtube and teach myself how to paint and play the piano see my friends a few times over the summer. I binge watched the walking dead and a bunch of tv shows I liked to. I went hiking bymyself and took pictures to put on facebook looked up recipes to cook using low budget food

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 7:00 AM, MayMagnus said:

I ran into the same problem a few years ago. It sounds like you've got some good ideas and a variety of interests. One thing I did was make it a goal to work on about five different things all summer AND every day. I made a spreadsheet with each activity having its own column and each day its own row. Every day, as long as I did some work an area, I checked it off. I usually got to 4-5 of the 5 in a given day and I felt better about myself as I went along because I could see that I was making progress every day and not just wasting my summer. 

You say you like to read. Are you on GoodReads? If not, consider joining. You can make virtual shelves, rate books, get recommendations. I enjoy quantifying the books I've read in a lifetime and doing yearly reading challenges, but maybe you aren't that nerdy. Pinterest is the ultimate time killer. It helps me create positive visions of the present and future  

You can look around the house for things to sell to a consignment shop (those are popular here) to free up a little cash and space. 

Cleaning is another good one. I sweep, dust, etc. and it makes a much more pleasant environment  in which to live. The people I live with appreciate it.

Answering questions on Yahoo answers and accumulating points was fun, though I don't know whether it's still a popular place. 

Good luck! 

I am on GoodReads! What's your account? I'll add you.

On 7/26/2016 at 7:24 AM, Ambrer said:

I'm in the exact same boat! I'm currently waiting through my last summer in an abusive household before I make my escape via going to University in September.

I have a part time job (which I'm quitting in a few weeks to go to Uni!) so, to try and combat the depression, I try and work some more hours as it keeps my mind occupied and there is the added bonus of more money to go into my bank account for University. This has tended to backfire on me a tiny little bit though, due to the fact they've put me in for WAY too many hours and it's actually making me feel worse - but just take on a couple more hours here and there.

Been trying to loose some weight to please my family too - and I've actually been spending a lot of time out of the house on walks since Pokemon Go came out! I'm not sure if that's your thing, but that's really helped me stay active while socializing - everywhere you look, people are doing it! I'm actually about to go out in a minute, just pulling myself together enough to shower and eat before I go.

I've been playing a lot of video games and catching up with reading, too - but I completely get what you mean by the "in the moment" - I feel like that most days. Been binge watching Bleach (my absolutely favorite anime!) and fallen in love with it all over again.

Just...the only advice I can give is take one day at a time. I like to have a countdown app on my phone which counts down the days, too! 

Always around for a chat.

Glad to know I'm not alone! I've been losing some weight as well, maybe we can encourage each other! I've also been trying to get back into watching some anime, too. What kind of anime and books do you like? Maybe we can chat sometime. I like your idea about a countdown app, I think I'm going to get one.

18 hours ago, griffindoor said:

Glad to know I'm not alone! I've been losing some weight as well, maybe we can encourage each other! I've also been trying to get back into watching some anime, too. What kind of anime and books do you like? Maybe we can chat sometime. I like your idea about a countdown app, I think I'm going to get one.

I'm up for that! Sadly I've been putting weight back on; but I've stabilized it out now - so it's just about keeping it off and loosing it again!

I'm really into Bleach (the final chapter is next week and honestly, I'm super upset - I'm not ready to let go; this series has supported me through the really dark times...) and Attack on Titan! (Still new to that one!) I want to watch Fairy Tail and One Piece! I also watch Teen Wolf and absolutely in love with that one!

With reading, I'm into fantasy mainly - Harry Potter, The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games - things like that!

I'm happy to chat anytime - shoot me a message!  The countdown app is super great; really helps me get through the days!