What Exercise Did You Get Today?

Starsea

Walked some yesterday because there is a PoGo event lol. It's getting cold up here now. Frosts and 0C temperatures, but it's doable. I'm a bit worried for when it starts getting really cold and how I'm going to handle walking. Walking a lot indoors is so...bleh. I know it will raise my anxiety, too.

16 hours ago, NeverCanLetGo said:

I walk between 4.5 to 6+ miles EVERY SINGLE DAY.

However, this has now become a major source of depression for me.

I started walking in 2013 when I weighed 425 pounds (I am also diabetic, and 45 years old - male). I have lost almost 100 pounds since then, but the majority was in the first year when I was only walking 2 to 3 miles per day, and taking days off on occasion.

I walk more and more and more, and still can't lose any more weight. Stuck at 325. Have been for almost a year now. It goes up 10 pounds sometimes, which really upsets me, but then gets back to 325, but never lower.

Yet I feel compelled to walk. If I quit, I know I will gain all the weight back. I feel like this is a prison sentence.

My body hurts. I don't take pain meds though because I worry they will cause water retention.

Regardless....I walk almost 2 hours every single day, and I HATE it. It certainly doesn't make me feel better.

100 lbs is impressive! From what I've read, exercise isn't really a good way to lose weight (and for sure some of your weight loss is leveled out by gaining muscle mass, which is good).

If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend the app MyFitnessPal. I've gotten out of the habit of using it so I've been slowly gaining weight again (need to start it back up asap). When I was using it, I was eating really well. It was a shock to me how much calories I was taking in daily. It is basically a food diary but makes it very easy to do. You can always use just pen & paper.

Maybe also look at other exercise you might enjoy or maybe adding something to your walking route that will make it enjoyable (for me, I hate walking around my neighborhood but like exploring other places in the city). If I hated walking I'd probably stop doing it, especially if I thought it was adding to my depression.

Today was stormy with heavy rain, so my exercise war getting out of bed, switching the heater on, later shutting the heater off, going to bed :(  I already feel the result of not moving, my mood is down, the pain is much stronger than most of the time.

• 2 months later...

Asylum - Championship round - 1 hour. 

I've decided this workout system is perfect given my mental state. I did Insanity for 12 weeks and finished that. Now in week 6 of 8 with Asylum. You do have to be crazy and into self inflicted pain to do this... lol... 

I don't need to commit suicide. The workouts will be the death of me yet. If not I have other sports that will work ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Took a walk with my dog, then did two more laps without her. It came to less than 2 miles, which would've been a breeze when I was in shape. It didn't help that both my feet felt numb by the third lap and I wasn't getting scared that I was doing damage to them. I'm not looking forward to having to re-lose all the weight, and I was hoping to do more than what I did today, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

14 hours ago, evalynn said:

Took a walk with my dog, then did two more laps without her. It came to less than 2 miles, which would've been a breeze when I was in shape. It didn't help that both my feet felt numb by the third lap and I wasn't getting scared that I was doing damage to them. I'm not looking forward to having to re-lose all the weight, and I was hoping to do more than what I did today, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

It's a great start. Keep on walking. Your feet aren't going to break. They will adapt and so will the rest of you. Diet and exercise. You can do it. I'd suggest you try myfitnesspal and log it all. It helps.

Easiest way to lose weight is to avoid carbs and sugar (same thing, actually). No bread, pasta, cereal, taters, etc. Only it ain't easy. I'm addicted to cookies and sh!t. I might as well be mainlining smack.

I did walk to work today. Only one mile away, but better than nothing. As recently as 2 years ago, I was walking anywhere and everywhere. I let it go and now I'm really paying the price.

Edited by JD4010

49 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

Easiest way to lose weight is to avoid carbs and sugar (same thing, actually). No bread, pasta, cereal, taters, etc. Only it ain't easy. I'm addicted to cookies and sh!t. I might as well be mainlining smack.

I did walk to work today. Only one mile away, but better than nothing. As recently as 2 years ago, I was walking anywhere and everywhere. I let it go and now I'm really paying the price.

Oh I know, but I am addicted to carbs. I think I like bread more than Oprah, and I have a big sweet tooth too (especially when chocolate is involved). I will just have to restrict it, because there's no way I could live without those things.

A few years ago, at my most fit, I could walk 5 miles a day. I let myself go and now I'm panting after 1 mile. :/

Diet and exercise. You don't have to throw away all the bread and sugar. Instead of fad/crash or crazy restrictions, I prefer a basic diet change. I would never give up dark chocolate :-)

If you use myfitnesspal it will do something like a 50/30/20 split. That is heavy carbs, then fats, then low on protein. I go with the standard athlete version of 40/30/30. That's 40% carbs. 30% fats. 30% protein. Get as close as you can to protein numbers. It helps since it creates amino acids and it helps reduce fat. Try not to go over on fats as they are harder to burn off. Eat some fiber, like clean whole wheat bread or wraps. I have a glass of red alcohol and dark chocolate, the darker the better!  Neither are bad, as long as you have 1 glass of alcohol and don't suck down all the chocolate... Lol...

It's all about balance. You keep some balance in your diet and you can get there without chickening yourself or feeling like a deprived prisoner. Carbs are not all bad. You need them for energy. They're actually good before a workout.