What Exercise Did You Get Today?

Starsea

I usually exercise 6-7 times per week for an hour to 2 hours per day. While it does help general mood levels a tiny bit, the main reason I do it is because its the only time of the day I can mostly get away from bad thoughts. That little 1-2 hour window is kinda the only peace I get. I know I'm in pretty good shape but that still doesn't seem to make me feel any better about how I look. I try to change how I think about it but it never really works. I usually go to work out in the evenings or night though, the drive to and back is part of the experience because I usually put the windows down and blast my music in the car, the cool air feels good and the music is another way to try to drown out the negative thought feedback loop. 

Since I got my new phone, I've downloaded Pokemon Go and Zombies, Run!

I did one mission in Zombies but my lower right leg really hurts now. I'm hoping it's just muscle strain from underuse. Perhaps I shouldn't run in the house barefoot...

I am on Wind Mobile so playing PoGo kind of sucks lol. My wi-fi is not stable. It makes me a lot less self-conscious when I'm walking, though.

20 hours ago, Yosemite said:

Sauna today.... My god, how this alleviates my depression symptoms! Headache gone.

I have heard about this too, it can actually be healthy to be hot (or cold I think). Dr. Rhonda Patrick has some good info on this regarding heat shock protein.

1 hour ago, Manytries said:

I walked for 10 minutes around my neighborhood. It was a little scary with it being 1:30 in the morning.

I went earlier tonight and was greeted by an unrestrained german shepherd running towards me and barking.  I always carry pepper spray with me when I walk, but it still made me nervous.  It also kinda p***** me off that people just leave their german shepherd loose like that.

14 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I went earlier tonight and was greeted by an unrestrained german shepherd running towards me and barking.  I always carry pepper spray with me when I walk, but it still made me nervous.  It also kinda p***** me off that people just leave their german shepherd loose like that.

Dogs can do that.  My dad was pulled off his bike on his way home a few years ago.  When I was a child, I had one go right up to me and bite my tenderness.  It charged me again a few months later and I kept it at bay with a toy airplane.  Once you break a dog's jaw it is not much of a threat though or stick a knife a few centimeters into its neck.

4 hours ago, Rattler6 said:

Dogs can do that.  My dad was pulled off his bike on his way home a few years ago.  When I was a child, I had one go right up to me and bite my tenderness.  It charged me again a few months later and I kept it at bay with a toy airplane.  Once you break a dog's jaw it is not much of a threat though or stick a knife a few centimeters into its neck.

I'd prefer to break the jaw of the person who left it running around outside. :glare:  People are so inconsiderate.  I was thinking about it, and perhaps carrying a Mag-Lite flashlight with me would be better protection.  I'll do that next time.

2 hours ago, evalynn said:

None. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Only writing this in the hopes that publicly shaming myself will make me do something tomorrow.

Sometimes it's tough to summon the energy.

And sometimes it's tough to restrain it. I accidentally did an extra set of push ups today because I wasn't paying attention.

Peace

I walked a lot today while playing PoGo. I also did some gardening. My diet went back to garbage this week though, but I made a nice chicken and oatmeal dinner tonight so hopefully I can get back on track.

I really wish exercise made my mood better, but it doesn't really. Not the act itself. I mostly like just stumbling on some unknown treasure in my city. Otherwise it just makes me tired.

Your dog stories terrify me...dear Lord...

8 minutes ago, Kogent5 said:

I walked a lot today while playing PoGo. I also did some gardening. My diet went back to garbage this week though, but I made a nice chicken and oatmeal dinner tonight so hopefully I can get back on track.

I really wish exercise made my mood better, but it doesn't really. Not the act itself. I mostly like just stumbling on some unknown treasure in my city. Otherwise it just makes me tired.

I've never heard of a chicken and oatmeal dinner. Maybe that is something I could try one night. 

2 hours ago, Kogent5 said:

Well, thankfully most of them do not attack, but it can depend on where you're walking.  I've noticed that people tend to keep large, aggressive dogs when they live in high-crime areas; it makes sense for them to do that, but it's scary for an innocent pedestrian.

9 hours ago, Manytries said:

I've never heard of a chicken and oatmeal dinner. Maybe that is something I could try one night. 

Steel cut oatmeal is the only healthy alternative to white rice I've liked so far. Brown rice is gross. White beans have the taste of white rice but the texture is unappealing.

It's an easy meal to make if you're feeling lazy. Use chili garlic paste as a dipping sauce and you don't even have to salt the chicken.

6 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

Well, thankfully most of them do not attack, but it can depend on where you're walking.  I've noticed that people tend to keep large, aggressive dogs when they live in high-crime areas; it makes sense for them to do that, but it's scary for an innocent pedestrian.

Yeah I don't blame them for having the dogs, but I'd probably pee my pants if I had encounters like that. I'm not scared of dogs per se but anytime I see one roaming around (even small ones) without an owner nearby, it makes me nervous. My dad told me about a neighbor he had that died of rabies and it still freaks me out.

1 minute ago, Kogent5 said:

Yeah I don't blame them for having the dogs, but I'd probably pee my pants if I had encounters like that. I'm not scared of dogs per se but anytime I see one roaming around (even small ones) without an owner nearby, it makes me nervous. My dad told me about a neighbor he had that died of rabies and it still freaks me out.

Rabies is pretty frightening.  Thankfully, you can go and get the shots if you are bitten.  I knew someone who had to get the shots after an encounter with a bat, and I guess they gave her the shots in the behind rather than in the belly, which is where I heard they used to give them...so I guess it's not as bad as it used to be to have to get those shots.  I think I'm more afraid of being mauled than the rabies.  (Maybe I should Google rabies to learn more...or maybe it would just make me scared to go on walks...?)

I don't get scared if I see a little dog, but a german shepherd running towards you and barking is pretty intimidating.  When you go out for walks, make sure you take something with you to defend yourself, just in case.

On 7/20/2016 at 1:16 AM, Kogent5 said:

Yeah. Even just the change of scenery can be helpful to me. I can feel better when I take a walk at lunch or something. I am pretty tired but that's just because the exercise hasn't exhausted me to the point of sleeping yet. I did sleep last night but that was all thanks to an adult beverage and an OTC sleep aid. Not restful sleep but I was happy to get it :smilingteeth:

Peace

Real work today.

Chopping wood, carrying water, digging holes in the ground, lunch..

Yesterday pretty much the same with a 10 k run, half an hour swim, workout..

Feeling constant emptiness and futility. 

I do stuff all the time.

I sink slower doing stuff. But I sink constantly.

I force myself to eat nowadays. Lost my appetite. 

Just want this to end

I wish there was a depression walking/running club in my city. Exercise and a supportive group ~

On 2016-07-20 at 8:54 AM, LoneSquirrel said:

Rabies is pretty frightening.  Thankfully, you can go and get the shots if you are bitten.  I knew someone who had to get the shots after an encounter with a bat, and I guess they gave her the shots in the behind rather than in the belly, which is where I heard they used to give them...so I guess it's not as bad as it used to be to have to get those shots.  I think I'm more afraid of being mauled than the rabies.  (Maybe I should Google rabies to learn more...or maybe it would just make me scared to go on walks...?)

My dad is almost 70 and this happened when he was a kid in the Philippines. The neighbor got bit by a stray dog that was acting crazy and then he never went to the doctor. Mauling is definitely scarier, especially the prospect of becoming horribly disfigured.

19 hours ago, Starsea said:

Yeah. Even just the change of scenery can be helpful to me. I can feel better when I take a walk at lunch or something. I am pretty tired but that's just because the exercise hasn't exhausted me to the point of sleeping yet. I did sleep last night but that was all thanks to an adult beverage and an OTC sleep aid. Not restful sleep but I was happy to get it :smilingteeth:

Peace

Yep, if I push myself to the point of utter exhaustion, THEN I get good sleep. But usually I don't. I got like 5 hours of sleep last night (didn't help someone was letting out bloodcurdling screams outside around 2am last night, then police sirens...).

12 hours ago, Searchingforasoul said:

Real work today.

Chopping wood, carrying water, digging holes in the ground, lunch..

Yesterday pretty much the same with a 10 k run, half an hour swim, workout..

Feeling constant emptiness and futility. 

I do stuff all the time.

I sink slower doing stuff. But I sink constantly.

I force myself to eat nowadays. Lost my appetite. 

Just want this to end

Do you live on a farm? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Also, that exercise sounds incredibly intense to me! A tip I've read about loss of appetite - just until you regain your appetite, eat really rich foods. Butter, cheese, protein milkshakes. So even if you skip a meal, your body won't start eating your muscles (or however it works).