Sign in to follow this  
Starsea

What Exercise Did You Get Today?

If your doctor agrees you're healthy enough, exercise can be an important part of managing depression. It's clinically shown to elevate mood. And it's good for your health in general. Staying healthy is part of loving and respecting yourself. 

What sort of exercise did you get today? Did you walk, run, hop, dance, lift or hike? Did you fish? Did you bike?

I'm doing 25 minutes of cardio, at least 1 mile walking and 100 pushups each day. But, really, any exercise is better than none. 

Let's share our exercise experiences and maybe even motivate each other, too.

Peace

Edited by Starsea
Fix spelling

I woke up early today and went for a 30 minute walk with my husband.  I was much more active a few years ago, but since my depression returned, I haven't done much exercise at all.

We're taking another walk tomorrow and the day after that.  You are right...exercise can definitely help to lift the cloud of depression a little.   I need all the help I can find to improve my mental/emotional state because things have gotten worse since 2014 in some ways.   A lot of old trauma is coming to the surface and I'm battling negative thoughts again, when I was just starting to feel good about life. 

I plan to resume my exercise program again for two reasons.  One is pure vanity...I want to slim down and get back into shape.  The other reason (which is even more important) is my mental health, as stated above.  I haven't been doing well at all, to the point where I even stopped posting here on DF because I just wanted to withdraw from the world. 

But yeah, thanks for starting this thread.  It coincides with my goals for a healthier mind and body!   :Coopwink:

5 hours ago, FeelinBlueAllTheTime said:

I woke up early today and went for a 30 minute walk with my husband.  I was much more active a few years ago, but since my depression returned, I haven't done much exercise at all.

We're taking another walk tomorrow and the day after that.  You are right...exercise can definitely help to lift the cloud of depression a little.   I need all the help I can find to improve my mental/emotional state because things have gotten worse since 2014 in some ways.   A lot of old trauma is coming to the surface and I'm battling negative thoughts again, when I was just starting to feel good about life. 

I plan to resume my exercise program again for two reasons.  One is pure vanity...I want to slim down and get back into shape.  The other reason (which is even more important) is my mental health, as stated above.  I haven't been doing well at all, to the point where I even stopped posting here on DF because I just wanted to withdraw from the world. 

But yeah, thanks for starting this thread.  It coincides with my goals for a healthier mind and body!   :Coopwink:

I didn't get out for a walk today or do my other exercises and I can certainly feel the difference. I'm a bit more negative.

I'm sorry your negative thoughts are coming back. It happens. But you've got a great outlook on it. Doing what you can to manage it is a fantastic plan. It seems like you're trying to take care of yourself, which is exactly the right thing to do.

Peace

I did some lap swimming today. It was a good swim too - my endurance with my front crawl is really starting to come along.  Now that I'm on summer holidays it's a lot easier to fit exercise into my day so I have been doing some kind of workout pretty much every day. I have a back injury that limits me to low impact exercises though.  Can't wait until I can run again!

40 minutes on the elliptical is not at all shabby. There are people who get winded crossing the room!

Don't overdo it. I overdo it all the time, end up hurting myself and having to take a couple weeks off to recover.

Peace

great and important topic, it should be pinned!

somehow i woke up early today so i got up at around 8 AM (i wasn't even tired!) and cycled to the grocery store. after that played with my dog outside. i'm planning to do some yoga today and go for a longer walk/ride. 

stay healthy/active, guys!

5 hours ago, evalynn said:

Thanks, Starsea. I actually ended up doing 40 minutes on the elliptical tonight! It was pretty awful--I'm so out of shape now, and I had to keep pushing myself but I managed it. 

40 minutes is not bad at all! And it will get easier pretty fast if you stick to it :).

I get social anxiety walking around my neighborhood, so I go to random neighborhoods instead lol. I'm not much for exercise, either. On Wednesday it started raining and I was in a neighborhood I wasn't familiar with. Ended up finding a farmers market that's open every Wednesday and bought a lot of fruit (currants, quince, crabapples) :laugh: Since I don't think I'll ever see these people again, I don't mind talking to strangers in these neighborhoods.

Waiting for Pokemon Go to be released in Canada. It's literally the only reason I'm gonna be buying a new phone, even though my phone right now is over five years old and has a battery life of five minutes (not an exaggeration).

I did my usual chair exercises today along with about 13 minutes of jogging alternating with sprinting.   I don't know, but I think exercise helps me sleep better at night. 

100 push ups and 30 minutes of stairs (up and down the stairs in my building). No walk outside today, though.

It's so striking how much better I feel when I just get out and move a little. And to actually be back in an exercise program feels really good. I'm feeling more confident, too. Seriously, it's one of the best weapons in my arsenal and it costs me nothing.

Peace

Up to 125 push ups, 30 minutes of cardio and a walk today. I'm sore but feeling pretty good, which is the point I suppose. I'd love to get back to where I was last year when I was really fit for the first time in a long time. I'm going to run with my sister as soon as I can convince myself I won't hold her back.

Peace